Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Shadow AOE Instructions

6 posts in this topic

Say I walk into the Eye of Azshara and 6 NPCs are pulled, as a Shadow Priest, what exactly do I do? Do I tab through them all and DoT them all up, then Mind Sear them? Do I just dot 2 or 3 of them, followed by a Mind Sear. Do I even dot any of them and just Mind Sear?

I hope someone can give me a clear and concise explanation of how such AOE would be executed.

Would be helpful!

In dungeons I'm generally running shadow crash since its very good for packs.

what I do (and in my opinion with good results) is the following

• cast vampiric touch on everything, its duration will allow you to put it on up to (about) 20 targets at the same time so it shouldn't be a problem getting it on most of the mobs you'll be facing
  • cast shadow word pain on 3-4 mobs maximum, preferably the longer lived ones.
  • cast shadow crash
  • (if voidform is not available yet) cast mind sear to generate insanity
  • cast void eruption to enter voidform
  • keep channeling mind sear.

Now one thing to note (something I found out much later than I care to admit) is void eruption will actually deal damage to all targets with a dot on them, dealing twice as much to targets with both your dots. This makes your entering voidform a large explosion of damage

since shadow crash has a 3 second travel time, it will usually land on the pack at the same time you activate void eruption after which you immediately channel mind sear for some very good burst aoe.

it requires some setup but when it hits it truly does explode on the meter. I've seen myself going from 100k dps while still spreading dots to 500k+ in a matter of seconds.

oh and make sure to cast all your vampiric touches first before casting any swpain. this is because if you:

it takes much longer than doing

The reason for this is because Vtouch has a cast time and swpain is instant cast. I dont know how to explain it well but using the first sequence will make you lose about 2 global cooldowns that could very well be spent on other spells.

keep in mind that very short lived packs (generally they will come in bigger groups) are not worth dotting at all.

think about the trash before the dragon boss in Darkheart thicket. I usually just resort to channeling mind sear on the tank for almost that entire part.

give it a try like this and please tell me if this helped.

Edited by Shine
1 person likes this

I'll try it out and let you know. Thanks for the advice.

Shine, seems to be working well for me. Thanks again!

My only challenge is tab targeting, as sometimes I end up targeting the same add a few times, before I get the right one to dot.

yeah tab targeting can be pretty risky Ive ninjapulled a pack more than once for using tab (hunters always get blame THANK GOD).

target however you like.

glad to hear its working out keep at it and git gud