FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zilthy

Tips on Havoc DPS Rotation

This was my approach to solidifying my rotation and DPS as Havoc.  I spend most of my time tanking as I am one of the main off tanks in my guild as well as one of the main tanks for Mythic+ runs.  After my first night actually running a raid as Havoc, I found I had to up my game in a hurry, and since I do not get to spend a lot of time outside of raid in Havoc, I had to be effective about my how I did this.

The first thing I did, was simplify.  I found I was overthinking rotation priorities and really missing out on a lot of DPS.  So I dumped all of that, and went back to the basics, to get them ingrained really fast.  This corrected a lot of mistakes and got my core up to speed quickly, and dramatically improved my DPS in a hurry.  I worked on these things doing world quests and target dummies, and corrected one thing at a time.  It's a lot easier to tackle that way.

Step 1:  Build Fury, Trigger momentum, Chaos Strike(s).  This may sound simple, but it corrected two issues.  First, triggering momentum without enough fury to capitalize on it and Second, using Chaos Strike outside of momentum.  You should always get at least 3 Chaos strikes in minimum, sometimes 4 depending on haste (or haste procs/buffs).

Step 2: Added Throw Glaive.  Build Fury, trigger momentum, throw glaive, chaos strike(s).  Got me using throw glaive inside a momentum window (which also adds to bloodlet damage).  Also worked on timing, bloodlet ticks long enough that usually only need to throw glaive every other momentum window to keep bloodlet up and lines up with TG recharge.

So, there, that's pretty much the core rotation, with that solid, start building on cooldowns and such.

Step 3: Added Fury of the Illidari on cooldown to the rotation, making sure that was in a momentum window.

Step 4: Added Chaos Blades on cooldown just *before* a momentum window (and every other Fury of the Illidari should line up with this)

Now we have our main rotational cd's worked in, and should be smooth.

Step 5:  Meta.  Pop meta, only real change from this that I do is discard Throw Glaive from the momentum window.

This alone should give you a very solid core and dps for your ilvl.  It certainly brought my DPS up considerably.  From there add blur to reset Fel Rush, Eye beam,  and other nuances such as Fel Rush to get to a target, Throw Glaive outside of momentum when out of range, etc.  But if you break it down like this, it is very easy to manage and get up to speed quick without getting overwhelmed.

Other things:

You will notice I mentioned building fury, and not demon bite or demon blades.  Which one is more effective can depend on gear, so that you will need to find out for yourself.  Personally, I sim and get a lot more DPS out of Demon Blades.  I also found that Demon Blades filled my fury up really fast, and overcapped a lot, so I invested in the artifact trait to raise fury cap before heading to the third golden.  This also made it so I can reliably get a minimum of 3 Chaos Strikes (or Annihilates) in during a momentum window.  Even when I was at 48% crit, it would not always proc, and I quite often found I was only getting 2 Annihilates in on that window.

As far as opener, that depends on whether you are using Potions of the Old War or not.  Personally, I use them, expensive as they are.

Pre-Pot -> Meta -> Chaos Blades -> Fel Rush -> Fury of the Illidari -> Annihilate(s) (Then standard meta rotation which is pretty much build fury, then momentum and annhilate, Throw Glaive outside of momentum and blur to reset Fel Rush if needed).

On 10/12/2016 at 5:41 PM, Zilthy said:

Step 1:  Build Fury, Trigger momentum, Chaos Strike(s).  This may sound simple, but it corrected two issues.  First, triggering momentum without enough fury to capitalize on it and Second, using Chaos Strike outside of momentum.  You should always get at least 3 Chaos strikes in minimum, sometimes 4 depending on haste (or haste procs/buffs).

Hi, I have a question. How much haste do you have in order to use 1 Glaive Toss and 3 or 4 chaos strike in the momentum uptime? At the moment i am just able to use 1 GT and barely 2 CS before momentum expire.

Thank you for your help.

Marco

I guess I could have worded that a bit more clearly.  I cannot get a throw glaive and 3 - 4 chaos stirke during a momentum.  I can get 3 - 4 chaos strikes or a throw glaive and 2 - 3 chaos strikes.  Right now timing is working out that I do a throw glaive every other momentum (Bloodlet uptime and throw glaive recharge).

The reason I can get the extra CS in is due to trinkets is mainly due to the Bloodthirsty Instinct trinket, which procs a lot with a good uptime (Usually 50% or so).

As far as haste levels, I find 10% to be comfortable with that, currently running at 15% (Just because gear currently have) but I do not specifically aim for haste, I would not sacrifice crit or even vers for that.  Although, when simming for stat weights, I have found that at low haste, it takes priority over vers for me, and I find the playstyle more smooth there.

Playstyle and the gear you have come in to play here though.