Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dastardlyfi

Help on Tanking Trinket

10 posts in this topic

I have now, 4 trinkets that I am conflicted on using as they all seem to have decent stats and usages/passives. I am mainly tanking mythic dungeons, although our guild does normal EN but I have no problem there.

What do you think would be the best 2 to use in general?

I have the following:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=137538&bonus=1507:3412

http://www.wowhead.com/item=137344&bonus=1502:3412

http://www.wowhead.com/item=137338&bonus=1507:3412

Goblet of Nightmarish Ichor

What do y'all think?

if you can post your armory so you can look at your stats we can help you more, at the moment i'm saying orb and talisman from the combo of shields and absorbs, but we need your stats to get a better justification. The goblet is kind of last place, its a very meager versatility proc so probably won't recommend that one. Actually even without armory i'm going to say orb and talisman, from the strong secondary stat gains to the shield/absorb procs. 

2 hours ago, demonardvark said:

if you can post your armory so you can look at your stats we can help you more, at the moment i'm saying orb and talisman from the combo of shields and absorbs, but we need your stats to get a better justification. The goblet is kind of last place, its a very meager versatility proc so probably won't recommend that one. Actually even without armory i'm going to say orb and talisman, from the strong secondary stat gains to the shield/absorb procs. 

Yeah without the armory its tough.

But generally speaking, ive been running multiple trinket combos depending on what im doing.  For example, if you are pushing tough content, I'd go orb and talisman, for the survivability and defensive use cooldowns.

If you are On a heroic daily speed run, or WQing, id throw on the Orb and the goblet.

Orb of Torment is not a good choice for blood dk. You obviously already have a lot of self healing. What you want to do, is to reduce the damage spikes as much as possible. Between these 4... I would say Shard and Talisman (trinket from the eye is not even worth mentioning), although i would bonus roll like a madman for Phantasmal Echo from dragons on EN and switch Shard for it asap. Echo is your BiS. Not only does it have your by far most important stat which is haste, it also has an insane passive effect. The versatility on the Talisman doesn't look very good, but the effect on the other hand is great (especially for DKs since we don't have good dmg reduction cds) so it should be fine to keep it.

2 hours ago, Lance171 said:

Orb of Torment is not a good choice for blood dk. You obviously already have a lot of self healing. What you want to do, is to reduce the damage spikes as much as possible. Between these 4... I would say Shard and Talisman (trinket from the eye is not even worth mentioning), although i would bonus roll like a madman for Phantasmal Echo from dragons on EN and switch Shard for it asap. Echo is your BiS. Not only does it have your by far most important stat which is haste, it also has an insane passive effect. The versatility on the Talisman doesn't look very good, but the effect on the other hand is great (especially for DKs since we don't have good dmg reduction cds) so it should be fine to keep it.

I don't see why the Orb is a "bad blood dk trinket".  Everywhere you go, Haste is the #1 stat.  Plus its easy to macro the orb heal to vampiric blood, increasing that affect.

Plus, he has only 15% haste as is, not using it would be a disaster!

I also dont see how a strength trinket would help smooth out damage more than more HS's and DSs courtesy of haste.

I don't see why the Orb is a "bad blood dk trinket".  Everywhere you go, Haste is the #1 stat.  Plus its easy to macro the orb heal to vampiric blood, increasing that affect.

Plus, he has only 15% haste as is, not using it would be a disaster!

I also dont see how a strength trinket would help smooth out damage more than more HS's and DSs courtesy of haste.

First of all, we have to take into consideration the fact that he is going to do mostly mythic dungs, where is as much dangerous trash packs as bosses (if not more).

It sure is true that haste is taken over any other stat, but there is more to trinkets than stats only. After using VB, together with few DSs and the work of a healer, you are hardly in any danger and if you are, 50% leech on one specific target won't help much (most probably it will simply overheal you).

15% haste is a fair point though, since it is nowhere NEAR the ideal and because of this single fact, the orb may be worth to consider.

Strength does not smooth damage, but increasing tanks dps is also a way to go for mythic dungs so its not pointless. The effect on the other hand is pretty good for both trash packs AND bosses (since it last as long as 30 sec). I also said it's not ideal and he should switch it with something better as soon as possible. It's just that i think it should work better for mythics than the orb, from my personal experience.

P.S.

Forgeting about trinkets for a sec, you should focus on stats on the rest of your gear  more than its ilvl. Sadly (or not), 5-10 ilvl difference between two items means close to nothing these days, if the seemingly weaker piece of gear has stats that suit you better (which in case of blood dk would be something along the lines of haste>mastery>=crit>versa)

Edited by Lance171

25 minutes ago, Lance171 said:

First of all, we have to take into consideration the fact that he is going to do mostly mythic dungs, where is as much dangerous trash packs as bosses (if not more).

It sure is true that haste is taken over any other stat, but there is more to trinkets than stats only. After using VB, together with few DSs and the work of a healer, you are hardly in any danger and if you are, 50% leech on one specific target won't help much (most probably it will simply overheal you).

15% haste is a fair point though, since it is nowhere NEAR the ideal and because of this single fact, the orb may be worth to consider.

Strength does not smooth damage, but increasing tanks dps is also a way to go for mythic dungs so its not pointless. The effect on the other hand is pretty good for both trash packs AND bosses (since it last as long as 30 sec). I also said it's not ideal and he should switch it with something better as soon as possible. It's just that i think it should work better for mythics than the orb, from my personal experience.

Ok you agree he takes Orb and ill agree he takes the Shard. Deal. 2 min cooldown is very nice.

Id also suggest him throwing 10% of that mastery into haste as well.  2% mastery is 2 more DS's per minute.

Thank you for the input, yes I have slowly come to realize that all of this higher level gear doesn't have as much haste as I'd like.

15 hours ago, dastardlyfi said:

Thank you for the input, yes I have slowly come to realize that all of this higher level gear doesn't have as much haste as I'd like.

You may honestly just want to que up some randoms and experiment with what feels right to you. Of course we can theorize mathematically what would be best, however, everyone plays a bit different and the general feel and individual performance can really alter what is best for you. So, I think you have great feedback so far, from here you just need to play around and see what feels right :D