Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RishardExodusBurrell

Resto Druid Tips

9 posts in this topic

I'm maining Resto Druid in Legion and I've been browsing the forums for advice and hints to improve my healing. I've found lots of information here so I thought I'd give back. One thing I failed to see anyone mention in a lot of the threads I read is the Artifact trait Dreamwalker. People were discussing ways to save mana and ways to improve their healing and I feel this accomplishes both. It's passive but I feel if you were to play close attention to making sure you have rejuv on the targets that have wild growth, you'll get much more healing out of those expensive wild growth casts. We all know the SW>WG>Flourish>EoG combo but if you prep your targets with rejuv beforehand, you can get even more healing out of this bread and butter combo. I just wanted to bring more attention to the trait because I didn't see anyone mention it. Also please feel free to leave any other tips you feel aren't being brought up often enough. Thanks guys.

Edited by RishardExodusBurrell

Hello and thanks for your input.

Well, I believe that people are not mentioning Dreamwalker exactly for the reason you've wrote: it's a passive :)

The resto community do think though that this trait is very important because it's the first Gold Trait that is recommended to take.

And as a resto druid you should have as many Rejuvs on the raid as possible (definitely on all the injured people) so Dreamwalker plays itself pretty much automatically.

Problem comes when your raid suddently takes a lot of damage, but right before almost everyone was at full hp.

The question is the follwoing:

should I:

1/ rejuv the lowest ones and only after cast wild growth, risking to lose one or two mates

2/ play safe, cast wild growth immediately, impairing your healing in the mid-term.

I tend to do 1/, but I must admit I happened to loose people doing so.

1 hour ago, bobifle said:

Problem comes when your raid suddently takes a lot of damage, but right before almost everyone was at full hp.

The question is the follwoing:

should I:

1/ rejuv the lowest ones and only after cast wild growth, risking to lose one or two mates

2/ play safe, cast wild growth immediately, impairing your healing in the mid-term.

I tend to do 1/, but I must admit I happened to loose people doing so.

I want to emphasis on "raid" in your question - you don't heal any raid alone so it can't be all your personal responsibility and/or fault.

Regarding the situation you described, there can be two of this:

- if it's an intended boss ability that puts your raid low (like Barreling Impact on Ursoc or Gathering Clouds and transition on Renferal), your raid should have pre-assigned CD to cover for the damage - Tranq, Hymn, HTT. In this case you Tranq or use the first option from described while your fellow healer uses the assigned CD.

- if it's a raid mechanic executed wrong, your raid should rather look into the execution and improve because there are no intended deadly mechanics in raids nowadays that would kill people in a couple of blows. Deaths from staying in crap or wrong executed mechanics are not healers' fault so you shouldn't cover for it spamming WG. Well, we still cover for accidental mistakes, it's a part of our job as a healers, but the key word here is 'accidental'. You shouldn't spam heal people that constantly ignore the avoidable damage just because. 

In any possible scenario, as I already mentioned, you are not healing the raid alone so you shouldn't get to the second option pretty often. Talk to your fellow healers, check why people are dying, whether this is really a lack of healing, maybe divide zones of responsibility between you.

Hope that helps :)

I do understand and agree with what you say. I'll try to focus more more on maxing my healing while relying on the ability of my dpsers to properly manage their hp (I know I'm optimistic :D).

LOL

23 hours ago, Medacus said:

sing SoF/SM synergy with WG/Dreamwalker to try and blanket

I've coupled these spells together in this way as I cast SM for the heal, but I keep in mind that it procs SoF, I don't cast SW solely for SoF (due to cost and how much HPS it kicks out) but it's a consideration as to what follows. When I follow up with WG, Dreamweaver is a consideration but shouldn't affect play, Rejuv should be out on top of the heal charts as is, this will ensure Dreamweaver HPS without you having to deviate from your 'natural' rotation.

One thing I noticed in the way that you've posted is that the emphasis seems to be on efficiencies or maximising HPS throughput - when you have people dying!! I would rather lose mana efficiency or lose 10s of thousands of HPS if it ensured that ALL player are alive. I've found with my Guild at least that there's always a mechanic that we take more DMG than optimal on and times on other mechanics that we excel, this means that there are times that nothing happens HPS wise and times in which we have to go mad to keep raiders alive.

I find the most important thing to do is know your raiders, know when you have to pull out the stops keeping people alive. Normally I find this needs to happen in a split-second, so I forget about min/max and concentrate on quick responsive heals and keep everyone deepsing :D

Most efficient isn't always most effective

Get an experienced healer in your team to get hold of blood legion cooldown makes a huge change to survivability just as Pandacho suggested

I def. focus way to much on numbers, and try to perform at least 220+ k hps in a fight. This is probably absurd.

1 hour ago, bobifle said:

I def. focus way to much on numbers, and try to perform at least 220+ k hps in a fight. This is probably absurd.

You definitely shouldn't. Numbers mean nothing real for healers (even that we all like them big, including myself^^).

High numbers can come from:

- good experienced healing

- wrong execution of fight where you heal a lot of avoidable damage

- cutting of a healer to let the rest to push fat numbers

- purposeful executing of a fight in a style "bring them all here, stay in crap and AoE"

There are players and guilds that focus on a 'log game' and use a lot 3 and 4 point. It's not bad, it's what they have fun from but if you are looking to be a good healer or improve, the numbers is the last thing to look at and you should be very careful when you look at high parses players. Experienced healers rather use logs to check the spell usage and talents for specific fights.

PS: Just as an example - I can 2-heal Normal 20-man EN and have 250K+ hps on all the fights, or we can bring 4 healers because guys want to gear alts too and then I'll have 100K hps. Does this mean that I suddenly started to play bad? Don't focus on numbers too much :)

Outstanding post Pandacho! Skada / Recount is the progression killer lol

Keep your team alive....healer job done. Do it however you can regardless or numbers or rankings

so many variables, healer comp, ability to dodge avoidable and so on...is tank healing less of a priority than overall HPS if the tanks struggle...No.

it's about progress and what gets the bosses down!  be the healer that helps your team best rather than the healer that tops the table :D