Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Korie

Protection Paladin rotation help

4 posts in this topic

Right, so I started playing my Protection Paladin after deciding to give up since I literally couldnt figure out how to play it properly, I decided to give it another go because I really missed the class & role, the thing is, I currently practise my rotation(The one here on the site)

But I have one thing I dont completely understand what if I'd get a Grand Crusader proc at step 6(Judgment) and since I still have a Crusader Strike & a Consecration to use I'd lose the proc, if I'd prioritize the proc over the rotation it would mean Avenger's Shield would be on Cooldown on Step 3, how am I supposed to tackle the procs & not let it mess up the rotation?

Edit: Where am I supposed to put Sacred Shield?

Edited by Korie

I usually don't follow a set "rotation" since tanking is situational.

I try to save my Grand Crusader procs till after I've Judged or CSed and things tend to keep pretty smooth. I'll use it immediatly if I am in need of Holy Power for SotR. I find that if I do get any kind of downtime between my main skills, it's a good time to refresh Sacred Shield just so I don't waste a cooldown. And even then, it's rare that I don't have either Holy Wrath or Consecration off CD or either Judgement or Crusader strike less than a GCD away.

Use the rotation as a guide but following it to a tee just makes for more brain work and it might take your mind off the task at hand. I'd like to see someone follow that roation doing adds for Horridon lol. As long as you are generating holy power at a decent enough clip you have SoTR available to absorb any big hits and you keep aggro, you are doing your job right. You will find your ideal way of playing as you tank more and more.

Edited by Moraras

While it's far from optimal, I use an addon called CLCProt that shows a "rotation" that you should use, including things like when to refresh Sacred Shield. Now I would not rely on it 100% when you're comfortable enough, but if you're wrapping your head around it (as I am still) then I find it invaluable. I also use (and love) the Retribution version CLCRet as well for those rare times I use my offspec.

First off, you should always have enough time to use CS and Judgment before Grand Crusader falls off. The likelihood that it procs off of something other than Crusader Strike/Hammer is fairly slim. I think the reason why it's in the spot in the rotation where it is, is that AS tends to be a strong attack while leveling up but it doesn't scale as well at 90 compared to the other abilities you have available.

I had problems nailing the MoP rotation down too, since it changed from how it used to be in Cata. I kept my buttons in the same place and kept getting myself totally confused.

What I finally did was line up 1-6 according to the priority list. Crusader Strike, Hammer, Judgment, Avenger's Shield, Holy Wrath, Consecration. Then I just use whichever one is furthest to the left and off cooldown. If I've used everything including Execution Sentence, I refresh Sacred Shield (which is worth doing every once in a while, even if it's still up, since it scales with Vengeance). In execute range I shift, mousewheel down and have another bar, which is the same except that Consecration is replaced with Hammer of Wrath.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kelp
      Type: Semi-hardcore
      Progression: 7/7 Mythic EN+ 2/3 Mythic ToV
      Faction: Horde
      Server: <Lustful> - [Zul’jin]
      Raid Times: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9pm-12am EST (Server Time)
      Apply here: lustful-guild.com or message me.

<Lustful> is currently recruiting experienced, and perspective raiders in need of an active and progression oriented mythic guild!

We are currently looking for most classes and roles:
      Healer: HIGH DEMAND!
      Range Damage: HIGH DEMAND!
      Melee damage: Medium demand.

Expectations:
      Be on time
      Have Discord for voice communication
      Have installed the required add-ons
      Prepare for raids outside of raid times (repairs, food, flasks, potions etc.)
      Know your class and raid mechanics outside of raid times
      Loot Rules:
      Loot Council
      Add-on List:
      Deadly Boss Mods
      RCLootCouncil
      Casual players are more than welcome to join for assistance in leveling, dungeons, and other content. Something is always going on within <Lustful>! Social oriented players will never be without something to do. Our Discord is available to all guild members.
      Message me for more information:
      Kelp-Zul'jin or Ragnar#11614
    • By Darkmograine
      Undaunted Gaming League is a family based guild, that means most of us have families and careers and are unable to play WoW at all times, that is recruiting players to band together for core teams. We would like to form teams for arena, RBG's, Daily Mythic dungeons, raid progression, gold making, and even battle pets. Even if you are a casual player that is looking to socialize, or want a team to work together on professions, we would like to help you help us. 
      http://undauntedgamingleague.enjin.com/home is our guild site, feel free to stop by to fill out an application and email a guild member for an invite. If you would like additional information, please message a player in game or myself directly darkmograine#1675
    • By Browed
      I will NOT be using BoS in 7.1.5...  why?
      http://www.wowhead.com/item=132459/perseverance-of-the-ebon-martyr
      Build:
      http://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/death-knight/frost/cj7z
      Basically with the combination of Gathering Storm (extended RW) and fitting more Rime into that time period I'm hoping that my M+ hybrid spec will remain competitive and the sims thus far seem to support the theory.
      If you have the helm too, grats! and look forward to the major increase in it's power with Freezing Fog +30% and Tier 19 based around more Rime and more RP from Rime we should see many viable builds popping up on logs. **Stay with FP for now until you have T19 x 2 - see updated build link ^^
      Why not BoS and Hungering? ... well, I'm looking for big Rime crits and don't fancy the long CD to manage. I also want to remain powerful in M+ which should be the case with this build... I'm pretty sure I can become more useful with Winter is Coming + extended RW... stunning mobs for the whole of PoF uptime.
      Obliteration will be used to maximise rune spam for Gathering Storm.
      Lets hear your thoughts?
    • By Noball
      <Deluded> are recruiting. We are a fun alliance raiding guild based on the realm Anachronos EU. We provide a chilled and humorous atmosphere while getting the job done. We are a bunch of friends that met in game and help each other to enjoy the best WoW experience possible.
      Many of the guild members have stuck around for years and have spent many hours in each other’s company. We love to have a laugh in and out of raids, if that's what you enjoy this may be a perfect new home for you! Aims - We aim to progress through normal to heroic to mythic at a decent pace while enjoying ourselves along the way, keeping relatively high on the realm rankings.
      Currently 7/7 HC EN , 3/3 ToV HC. Currently recruiting: Dps (ranged pref) for starting MYTHIC. Since mythic can’t be done cross realm as yet, we need people on our server trio. We are currently recruiting ranged DPS, but all applicants will be considered.
      Feel free to contact me ingame anytime - Ernieball#2671

• By chocoslayer88
      Hey yall! so i'm writing this because i just want to undesrtand something. my friend and i compared numbers today because we are both shadow priests albeit i have a higher ilvl than he does maybe by around 7 im sitting at 863 . 
      what happend was during the last fight we decided to do the same -ish rotations meaing we both had vamp touch and shadow pain up on the same boss at all times.
      at the end of the fight i found something odd,
      his vamp touch dealt 4.99m dmg with max hit at 315 and minimum 
      mine only dealt 3.71 with max hit at 335 but take this in, minimum hit at 17k LOLLL
      another thing that got my attention
      his max hit on mind blast was 512 k, while mine was only at 281k.
      his crit and mastery stands at 20% and 40%, mine at 24% and 42%
      his haste stands at 27 and mine stands at 24
      can anyone explain this? at all? does it make any sense at all LOL