Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Korie

Protection Paladin rotation help

4 posts in this topic

Right, so I started playing my Protection Paladin after deciding to give up since I literally couldnt figure out how to play it properly, I decided to give it another go because I really missed the class & role, the thing is, I currently practise my rotation(The one here on the site)

But I have one thing I dont completely understand what if I'd get a Grand Crusader proc at step 6(Judgment) and since I still have a Crusader Strike & a Consecration to use I'd lose the proc, if I'd prioritize the proc over the rotation it would mean Avenger's Shield would be on Cooldown on Step 3, how am I supposed to tackle the procs & not let it mess up the rotation?

Edit: Where am I supposed to put Sacred Shield?

Edited by Korie

I usually don't follow a set "rotation" since tanking is situational.

I try to save my Grand Crusader procs till after I've Judged or CSed and things tend to keep pretty smooth. I'll use it immediatly if I am in need of Holy Power for SotR. I find that if I do get any kind of downtime between my main skills, it's a good time to refresh Sacred Shield just so I don't waste a cooldown. And even then, it's rare that I don't have either Holy Wrath or Consecration off CD or either Judgement or Crusader strike less than a GCD away.

Use the rotation as a guide but following it to a tee just makes for more brain work and it might take your mind off the task at hand. I'd like to see someone follow that roation doing adds for Horridon lol. As long as you are generating holy power at a decent enough clip you have SoTR available to absorb any big hits and you keep aggro, you are doing your job right. You will find your ideal way of playing as you tank more and more.

Edited by Moraras

While it's far from optimal, I use an addon called CLCProt that shows a "rotation" that you should use, including things like when to refresh Sacred Shield. Now I would not rely on it 100% when you're comfortable enough, but if you're wrapping your head around it (as I am still) then I find it invaluable. I also use (and love) the Retribution version CLCRet as well for those rare times I use my offspec.

First off, you should always have enough time to use CS and Judgment before Grand Crusader falls off. The likelihood that it procs off of something other than Crusader Strike/Hammer is fairly slim. I think the reason why it's in the spot in the rotation where it is, is that AS tends to be a strong attack while leveling up but it doesn't scale as well at 90 compared to the other abilities you have available.

I had problems nailing the MoP rotation down too, since it changed from how it used to be in Cata. I kept my buttons in the same place and kept getting myself totally confused.

What I finally did was line up 1-6 according to the priority list. Crusader Strike, Hammer, Judgment, Avenger's Shield, Holy Wrath, Consecration. Then I just use whichever one is furthest to the left and off cooldown. If I've used everything including Execution Sentence, I refresh Sacred Shield (which is worth doing every once in a while, even if it's still up, since it scales with Vengeance). In execute range I shift, mousewheel down and have another bar, which is the same except that Consecration is replaced with Hammer of Wrath.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kelp
      Type: Semi-hardcore
      Progression: 4/7 Mythic EN+ 2/3 Heroic ToV
      Faction: Horde
      Server: <Lustful> - [Zul’jin]
      Raid Times: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9pm-12am EST (Server Time)
      Apply here: lustful-guild.com or message me.

<Lustful> is currently recruiting experienced, and perspective raiders in need of an active and progression oriented mythic guild!

We are currently looking for most classes and roles:
      Healer: Medium demand.
      Range Damage: HIGH DEMAND!
      Melee damage: Medium demand.

Expectations:
      Be on time
      Have Discord for voice communication
      Have installed the required add-ons
      Prepare for raids outside of raid times (repairs, food, flasks, potions etc.)
      Know your class and raid mechanics outside of raid times
      Loot Rules:
      Loot Council
      Add-on List:
      Deadly Boss Mods
      RCLootCouncil
      Casual players are more than welcome to join for assistance in leveling, dungeons, and other content. Something is always going on within <Lustful>! Social oriented players will never be without something to do. Our Discord is available to all guild members.
      Message me for more information:
      Kelp-Zul'jin or Ragnar#11614
    • By dywolf
      Hi ! I tough I was doing Ok with my dps, but I find my self pretty low when i compare with other rogues. I'm considering switching to assassination because of this reason ... 

I would like to know What I'm doing wrong because i tought my rotation was good. 

This is my logs -> https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/hv6bfdgAjWDXF2BY#fight=2&type=damage-done&source=13
      Dywolfs 337k.
      When I look at some others rogues (without the OP legendary boots) I am 130k behind them for the same Ilvl
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/P2hFJnYyg6a4A7bv#fight=29&type=damage-done&source=15
      Oswin -> 468k

When I compare our cast, we have pretty much the same rotation / cast.
      So except for the 4% nightblade missing, what I am doing wrong ? 

Thanks 

On askmrRobot, it say i shoud be at 378k on ursoc

The correct stats should be  Agility > Versatility > Main Hand Damage > Critical Strike > Mastery > Haste > Off Hand Damage > Leech > Avoidance > Movement Speed

Right ? 
    • By Darkvo1ce
      Hi, I used AksMrRobot to sim my char and as I thought I'm underperforming for my ilvl according to mrRobot I should do around 300k dps with my ilvl 869 gear but I'm sitting on 200k-240k-ish I do know that I don't have any enchants on my gear which is a dps loss but I think the enchats will give me maybe only 10k which means there still 50k left which I'm missing.
      I mainly do Mythic+ dungeons but from time to time I do the raids or at least the Emerals Nightmare
      My latest log is available through this link warcraftlogs
      here is my armory link 
      I think the main issue is my bad momentum usage but maybe I'm wrong. 
      I'm looking forward to your feedback
    • By Babblet
      Location: Horde – US Connected Realms: The Venture Co - Maelstrom - Lightninghoof
      About us:
      Converge has been around since WoW Vanilla and has been raiding together since Molten Core; most of our members have been playing together for years. In its older days, when most of us where young, we were more raid focused and demanded a lot from our members. Over the years we had to adjust our playtime and priorities with a growing list of RL responsibilities and are now, for all intents and purposes, a semi-casual raiding guild.
      At this point in time we are trying to round out our roster and eventually attempt Mythic raids once we feel comfortable with our raid composition.
      Raid Times: 8:00 PM – 12:00 AM Eastern Time – Monday/Tuesday.
      Recruitment: Currently we are only accepting Ranged DPS.
      Legion Progression:
      [EN]    7/7 Normal - 7/7 Heroic
      [ToV]  3/3 Normal - 1/3 Heroic
      Contacts:
      Sodium#11394
    • By NasharStormrage
      Here on Icy Vein's under the Arms Warrior DPS guide here is the recommended relic choice. I was under the impression that [Exploit the Weakness] was our top priority even if it meant 20-25iLvl difference. Since it would increase the proc chance by a factor of x2 with all three relics increasing Tacticians...
      Why does this guide on Icy Veins say otherwise? Is it because the information is out of date and hasn't been updated?

(Original Link: http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/arms-warrior-pve-dps-artifact-talents-traits-relics)

Unfortunately this is not someting I can just run a Sim on because I don't currently have any [Exploit the Weakness] relics.