Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joshiimuz

Fire Mage Trinket Confusion

16 posts in this topic

I'm confused as to why the 137398Portable ManacrackerPortable Manacracker  is labeled as BiS when I have  Swarming PlaguehiveSwarming Plaguehive and Devilsaur Shock-BatonDevilsaur Shock-Baton which  both pulled over 2 million more damage than the manacracker did. So I'm having trouble understanding weather or not I should replace the manacracker with my new Swarming Plaguehive trinket for all the haste and leach it gives me. but also redusing my int by 1k. I have no idea which item is giving me more dps because I cannot sim these two items, the proc rates are not a solid number

If you are going off of Mr. Robot, it's because of stat weight.  Swarming = Haste = not as good as Portable Manacracker which is INT.

TBH, the Portable Manacracker probably adds more damage through pure additive damage than the Plaguehive.  You should figure out which is giving you the most damage.  Either throw it up on a sim or go test it on some dummies.  Spend 5 minutes on each and do it twice to confirm.  See which gives the higher damage numbers, check indepth stats not just surface with recount.

INT is number 1 for Fire mages.  INT > Crit .  Nearly 1,000 int is pretty big.  Also Plaguehive is a base 48,423 damage over 10 seconds.  Portable Manacracker is 168,465 damage over 12 seconds.  Which procs more is RNG.

So, IMO, if I were to guess and assume, I would say the Portable Manacracker would indeed be more overall damage than Plaguehive.  Even if the Manacracker doesn't give as much damage via the proc, it will give damage via the nearly 1k int.

On 10/20/2016 at 4:01 AM, Thazi said:

INT is number 1 for Fire mages.  INT > Crit .  Nearly 1,000 int is pretty big.  Also Plaguehive is a base 48,423 damage over 10 seconds.  Portable Manacracker is 168,465 damage over 12 seconds.  Which procs more is RNG.

Sorry, I created an account just to correct this. 

CRIT > INT 

The reason why Manacracker is better then Plaguehive is the static INT + proc is > then the Haste + proc. Plaguehives proc contributes more damage then Manacracker according to your damage meters however Manacracker contributes to every ability  you use.

Edited by Aesoprock

2 hours ago, Aesoprock said:

Sorry, I created an account just to correct this. 

CRIT > INT 

The reason why Manacracker is better then Plaguehive is the static INT + proc is > then the Haste + proc. Plaguehives proc contributes more damage then Manacracker according to your damage meters however Manacracker contributes to every ability  you use.

You can think what you like, but INT is a primary stat while Crit and anything else (Haste, Master) are secondary stats.  Without INT you will not do damage regardless of having 100% crit strike.

1.1. Stat Weights

These values are calculated for a single target. Mastery pulls slightly ahead of Critical Strike on cleave and AoE.

1. Intellect: 1.00
  2. Critical Strike: 1.30
  3. Versatility: 0.84
  4. Haste: 0.81
  5. Mastery: 0.76

Crit has a higher stat weight of 1.3 but falls below Int, why?  That's because INT is pure damage.  All of our damage is determined by our INT.  Therefore if you say drop 1k INT in favor of 200 crit, you are likely losing dps.

Though, you already know that because you agree with me that the Manacracker will give more damage overall because of the static INT+proc, what I already stated.

INT > Crit.  The only time Crit > INT is when you have 2 pieces and you are talking about a 300~ int loss and a 150+ crit gain.  That isn't fact, you need to do testing yourself to find out exactly how much int you can lose to gain crit, every mage is different as they all have different amounts of crit and int.  Simply put:  You cannot drop a magnitude of int to gain a small bit of crit.  Int directly translates how much damage those crits do, so if you drop 1k int to gain 200 crit, you're probably shooting yourself in the foot.

I am not saying you should stack Int over Crit.  Crit should be your focus.  You simply shouldn't be dropping a piece of gear that has a substantial amount of INT in favor of a small bit of crit.  Once you get above 55% crit, it takes a LOT more crit rating to gain 1%.  Therefore dropping a ton of int to gain say 100 crit isn't exactly worth it.

Do tests and see for yourself.

Edited by Thazi

Here is a graph shared on the Mage discord channel:

Fire_T19H_Trinkets.PNG

Where does the 835 LFR Sinew rank? So far it's the only version I have been able to get

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Drkdragon said:

Where does the 835 LFR Sinew rank? So far it's the only version I have been able to get

Thanks!

Should be ranked close to a 870 Shock Baton.

1 person likes this

On 10/25/2016 at 0:30 AM, Archimage said:

Here is a graph shared on the Mage discord channel:

Fire_T19H_Trinkets.PNG

Can anyone tell me why an 865 Unstable Horrorslime is so low on this list? I've tried using it and it seems like it's doing about 6% of my dmg on boss encounters, whereas 865 Swarming Plaguehive has been doing around 7%, but that doesn't take into account the crit vs haste.  Also, is the unstable arcanocrystal really that good?

Thanks,

Edited by Dee

16 hours ago, Dee said:

Can anyone tell me why an 865 Unstable Horrorslime is so low on this list?

The Horrorslime got buffed by 20% with 7.1. So this chart isn't updated yet.

Bough has also gotten buffed (or to be more precise, fixed to proc properly) and should now be extremely high on the list!

Here are the latest sims by Frosted:

iFtQH25.png

1 person likes this

Got a 855 version of Bough of Corrption, which is listed as second best. Just tested it in the classhall and the procc-chance seems quite bad.... 500k from 37mil DMG.

So I am curious from which itemlvl you list is @Zadina :)

850, if I am not mistaken. Yeah, the RNG on the Bough is pretty ridiculous (you can see how big the error is), sometimes it may not proc at all, other times it does more damage than Sinew. I've been trying it out since Thursday and it's alright overall.

Thanks, I will try it out this evening as well. I am comparing to an 860 Arcanocrystal. WIll post an update.

On 27/10/2016 at 8:07 PM, Zadina said:

Bough has also gotten buffed (or to be more precise, fixed to proc properly) and should now be extremely high on the list!

Here are the latest sims by Frosted:

iFtQH25.png

Is this list just all trinkets simmed? or only simmed for fire mage?

Only for Fire :)