FORUMS
Damien

Midrange Malygos Druid Standard

After some time, I really wanted to play this deck, as it seems the only deck which could be close to MR Shaman. I am using Xixo's version, found in tempostorm. 

I am terrible!!!

MR Shaman and Zoos all over the place and it could be normal that I lose to them, but warriors, rogues, mages ... 

Now it does feel like every single player who has random 30 cards can beat me with it.

Anyone here knows what to do with this deck and explain it to me?

1 hour ago, FanOfValeera said:

Anyone here knows what to do with this deck and explain it to me?

It's a surprisingly difficult deck to play for something that is so powerful. Value is key, especially with Fandral. Knowing when to drop him, baiting removal prior to doing so, can be a huge swing for you. If you manage to get a Fandral/Nourish turn, you're in a very good spot.

It's also extremely important to assess when the right time is to use removal. With so many spells, you'd expect to be able to just remove as you wish. Mana efficiency is super important and you need to make sure you're pushing into your combo ASAP. I'm not surprised you lose to Warrior at all, though.

Can you throw up a replay of a normal game for you?

10 minutes ago, Blainie said:

It's a surprisingly difficult deck to play for something that is so powerful. Value is key, especially with Fandral. Knowing when to drop him, baiting removal prior to doing so, can be a huge swing for you. If you manage to get a Fandral/Nourish turn, you're in a very good spot.

It's also extremely important to assess when the right time is to use removal. With so many spells, you'd expect to be able to just remove as you wish. Mana efficiency is super important and you need to make sure you're pushing into your combo ASAP. I'm not surprised you lose to Warrior at all, though.

Regarding Control warriors, you need to recognise your win condition. You do not win against cw with the Malygos combo, you win through minion pressure. This is maybe the only matchup where you will find yourself using Raven Idol for a minion.

Watch this clip : https://www.twitch.tv/like_a_bawse/v/100256531

Its from LikeaBawse's stream last night. Go to 02:33:21 and watch how they play the malygos druid vs control warrior matchup. It doesn't matter that the audio is in greek just watch how they play.

2 minutes ago, CodeRazor said:

Regarding Control warriors, you need to recognise your win condition. You do not win against cw with the Malygos combo, you win through minion pressure. This is maybe the only matchup where you will find yourself using Raven Idol for a minion.

For sure, but it is undoubtedly one of the harder matchups for the deck. Warrior was by far my weakest win rate when climbing with this deck the last 2 seasons. In the video you linked, it's also fair to say that it's an exceptional example - he drew incredibly well that game, with tons of early card draw, healing, removal, the only big minions that can't be removed easily - if that happened every game it would be very easy to beat Warrior. The dead cards in the matchup didn't appear in his hand at all.

13 minutes ago, Blainie said:

For sure, but it is undoubtedly one of the harder matchups for the deck. Warrior was by far my weakest win rate when climbing with this deck the last 2 seasons. In the video you linked, it's also fair to say that it's an exceptional example - he drew incredibly well that game, with tons of early card draw, healing, removal, the only big minions that can't be removed easily - if that happened every game it would be very easy to beat Warrior. The dead cards in the matchup didn't appear in his hand at all.

Indeed, i didn't say that the matchup is easy, i just pointed out that if you have a chance at all to win, you have to do it thought minion pressure. Even though he drew well in the video, it showcases the minion pressure strategy pretty well imo.

2 hours ago, Blainie said:

Thanks for the answer, I will try to share a replay as soon as I play it again.

7 hours ago, Blainie said:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/B9UbypZJCCYBWtxdvrmRCB

https://hsreplay.net/replay/K5nyMWQKBkcF3Ge4a5VMvc

Two games I just lost!

Warning: Includes many misplays probably, so you can ask the question 'what is this guy doing?' so many times.

Thanks for all the advices in advance...

9 hours ago, CodeRazor said:

Indeed, i didn't say that the matchup is easy, i just pointed out that if you have a chance at all to win, you have to do it thought minion pressure. Even though he drew well in the video, it showcases the minion pressure strategy pretty well imo.

Fair enough, that's true, it does show a good gameplan to follow.

@FanOfValeeraIn the first game you could have guessed from Loot Hoarder that the paladin was control. That means you could have hero powered to clear the Loot Hoarder instead of innervating Emperor Thaurissan to discount only 3 card, only one of which was a combo piece. Sadly I did not see what you were offered in the discover from Raven Idol. Do you think you could recall what you were offered? Using Moonfire to clear is extremely inefficient - you could have left the Bluegill Warrior on board for one more turn to clear him with hero power the following turn. Agin, on the second Raven Idol I did not see the selection. If you were offered Moonfire or Living Roots you missed lethal by using Moonfire earlier.

In the second game you could have played Fandral Staghelm and used Living Roots on the totem. This way you would have gained some board. Swipe on Acidic Swamp Ooze and hero power on Wrath of Air Totem would have been possibly better. From then, the game would have looked much differently. 

What this means is: be more greedy about you combo. Try to get board presence against decks that have to deal with you minions.

1 hour ago, FanOfValeera said:

Thanks for all the advices in advance...

Game 1:

• Why pass Turn 1? You have two viable plays, both of which work. Paladin has plenty of early minions to trade into, regardless of the style being played. Loot Hoarder (as he played), Bluegill, the 2/1 shield minion, Argent Squire, etc. You could have used either Raven Idol or Living Roots. I would have summoned 2 1/1s.
  • Innervate Thaurssian didn't change anything for you. You still played Nourish on turn 5 and basically wasted 1 mana on that turn. I would have, at that point, played Innervate -> Nourish -> Raven Idol.
  • Vs. Paladin, you know that their main board clear vs. big mobs is Equality + Cons. Clearing the Acolyte wasn't necessary, given that you knew a board clear needed to happen in the future (Arcane in hand).
  • I would have simply left the Acolyte alone, forced him to clear his own card and used Feral to heal. This is especially important since you knew you were facing the Murloc combo, so you needed to bring yourself out of combo range.

Game 2:

• As positiv says, that clear with Swipe simply wasn't necessary. Staghelm into roots would have been much better. 

General Points:

• You are way too happy to use Moonfire to clear. I understand that sometimes it is required, yes, but to clear 3 damage off the board? Definitely not.