FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
multivitamin

Subtlety vs Assassination

1 hour ago, multivitamin said:

Why do people say that sub will scale better than assassination? One of the top rogues I know has already switched. 

Short answer is because it does 

Certain stats do more for Sub than they do for Sin, and Sub's BiS legendary is significantly stronger than Sin's. Sub's toolkit is also more versatile

I've started hearing this too. But is this prospective advice for 7.1 and beyond? Unless I'm missing something, all the logs still show assassination rogues doing great and sub rogues nowhere to be found. I have to be missing something.

3 hours ago, Raiza said:

I've started hearing this too. But is this prospective advice for 7.1 and beyond? Unless I'm missing something, all the logs still show assassination rogues doing great and sub rogues nowhere to be found. I have to be missing something.

First Thing

There's a hive-mind mentality around the WoW community. When one thing performs well, seemingly better than another, everyone starts to play that and says that everything else is shit.

• At the start of Legion, the FotM was Outlaw. It was strong, very strong, to the point that your damage was on par even if you didn't use RtB properly. Sin was ok, not amazing but did middle of the pack damage on Single Target. Sub was undertuned, and people forgot about it
  • Then, when Outlaw got a slight nerf, Sin got a slight buff, and Sub got a  relatively significant buff, everyone swapped to Sin because people were already playing it and it was already doing ok. Sub was still generally forgotten about, despite math showing that Sub was doing literally the exact same amount of damage as Sin was
    • As a result of this, people started picking up Legendaries for Sin, which made it look even stronger. Sub's legendaries are very very strong, but hardly as many people picked them up because nobody was playing the spec. As a result, Sin looks better.

Secondly

Sub was undertuned early on, but that was mostly fixed. Sub's Mastery scales incredibly well, due to it being increased damage on our finishers. It doesn't need a ton of Crit to be good, like Sin does, and Vers does a lot to buff all of the damage that the spec puts out. Even Haste is valuable to Sub (although not as valuable as everything else), because it has a more consistent need to generate CPs.

Sin's Mastery only buffs one portion of the spec - Poisons. Haste is pretty much a dead stat, because of the pool > dump > pool style of play. So much damage is baked into Rupture that other finishers hardly matter, let alone Mut. Crit is all that matters for Mut because of the chance to get 3/4 CP - it does hardly any damage, comparatively.

Lastly 

Sub's set bonuses are better than Sin's. Actually, if I remember correctly, Sin's are absolutely ass.

• Like 3