Zadina

hearthstone Gadgetzan Image Triggers Expansion Speculations

11 posts in this topic

CvjE5YYUIAA5UBm.jpg

We are all expecting the announcement of the next Hearthstone expansion at BlizzCon 2016. And we might have just gotten the very first hint about it!

Υesterday night, the @PlayHearthstone account on Twitter posted the following image. This may be nothing at all or it may be an actual clue about the upcoming Hearthstone expansion.

Τhe disclaimer of the image reads:

The word 'Safe' is not meant to constitute a binding agreement and does not imply safety, security, protection, preservation, peace of mind, confidence, reliability, dependability, or trustworthiness, Mayor Noggenfogger is not responsible for any accidents, burglaries, thoughtsteals, mind visions, vanishes, whirlwinds, avenges, lightbombs, elements of destructions, excavated evils, consecrations, holy novas, flamestrikes, demonwraths, starfalls, shadowflames, swipes, explosive traps, arcane explosions, brawls, DOOM!s, lightning storms, blizzards, twisting nethers and other Acts of Old Gods, magical mayhem or disfigurement that may ensue.

No beasts, demons, dragons, mechs, murlocs, pirates were harmed, abused, disfigured, dismembered, declawed, detailed, decommissioned, exorcised, disarmed, or toppled in the creation of this postcard.

We take no responsibility on the claims made on this souvenir of propaganda, or any predictions, suppositions, predictions, prophecies, harbinger omens or conclusions that may also arise.

In World of Warcraft, Gadgetzan is a Goblin city situated in the desert of Tanaris, in the southeast corner of Kalimdor. Gadgeztan used to be a mainland city, but after the Cataclysm hit Azeroth it now enjoys a beach and the sea.

Redditor BillHicksBoiii noticed three days ago that the domain gadgetzan.com has been taken by Blizzard. It's difficult to theorise what the expansion could be, though. The obvious link is Goblins, but we've already had the Goblins vs. Gnomes expansion. Unless we are getting a revamp...

You can also notice a pirate ship in the background of the image, so perhaps a pirate themed expansion?! Moreover, as we've already said, Gadgetzan was one of the cities affected by the Cataclysm. Basically, once Deathwing was awakened, he caused the whole world of Azeroth to change dramatically with earthquakes, tsunamis, the invasion of his forces and just his very own presence. Since Deathwing was originally corrupted by the Old Gods, the first expansion we got this year, it is possible that this expansion may be about Deathwing, his following the Twilight's Hammer or the Cataclysm.

Of course, all of this is still in the realm of speculation. The image might mean nothing at all! What do you think?

1 person likes this

If it is indeed cataclycsm... do we get a THIRD Deathwing?! All Deathwing deck new meta confirmed?
I wouldn't mind a pirate reboot/proper meta, but Twilight's Hammer seems the best of your ideas.

1 person likes this

Here is a not so timely update that I think should belong here. Reddit speculates that if you put "goblins" "bank" and "unbreakable" in once sentence, it's going to end up in a bank heist, and I'm inclined to agree with this version as a pretty obvious one.

Now, where I stand on it is that if it's going to be a Goblin-themed Adventure, it's going to be a bad idea.

Here's why :

1)It's too early for a remake.

Goblins versus Gnomes was a [pun]wildly[/pun] successful expansion that is rightfully gone now. To reuse its themes only three years into the game, yet alone one year in a format without it, is looking very lazy and unconvincing to me. If you want to move further, you should develop more fresh and new ideas, like they did with things before, not try to sell us something we've seen already. And it's not like GvG was really healthy to the game in terms of mechanics.

2)It's not working now both from a flavor and from format standpoints. 

Such kind of adventure would be great if it would come along the expansion it's about.

I came up with the idea long ago, when we ultimately saw Whispers of the Old Gods decline as it has less support to its themes than it felt like initially. Would they release an adventure to cover the holes and make expansion work, it would make up for a better format, essentially, and helped them sell both adventure and expansion, and the latter is sort of omnipresent anyways, you don't really need to make effort to sell it. But adventures need such effort. And sometimes it doesn't work out as it should - One Night in Karazhan is popular because it has playables that are so good in existing decks, not because it has a good story, or flavorful cards in it, like Blackrock or Naxxramas have had. They should make it up to us for this relative failure. 

An avid reader would notice that this idea is similar to block system in Magic: The Gathering, and I admit the resemblance. But blocks in Magic allow to have nice things you get - good Standard environments, stories told and Magic cards sold in the long run. I don't think that stealing marketing ideas from a 25-years-old veteran of genre is somehow a bad idea.

But once again, I'm just speculating here. We have no real idea what is going to be in. Note the bold "now" in the title.

I'm going to be back and to expand this with a little more things and the conclusion shortly.

1 person likes this

Sounds like it will be a cops and robbers themed expansion. Doesn't tie them too tightly to either goblins or gnomes, but can expand on burgle and other interesting mechanics and likely implement one to combat it. It also fits with their ever expanding RNG, but in a skill way of "play your opponent deck" which will change a lot.

Expansion or adventure?  In 2016 do we think? Excited, I am. 

Oh, and I'd like a pirate-themed card back.  I wasn't playing HS in 2014 when they released one for ranked play. 

Edited by mimech

1 hour ago, mimech said:

Expansion or adventure?  In 2016 do we think? 

I'd actually be totally OK with just a simple adventure again. I loved Karazhan, even though it didn't introduce some huge amount of cards. I just enjoyed going through the fights.

11 hours ago, Laragon said:

If it is indeed cataclycsm... do we get a THIRD Deathwing?! All Deathwing deck new meta confirmed?
I wouldn't mind a pirate reboot/proper meta, but Twilight's Hammer seems the best of your ideas.

If you Deathwing your Deathwing with your other Deathwing in your hand, does it discard your Deathwing after your Deathwing dies or does it summon your Deathwing?

:D

6 hours ago, Laragon said:

Sounds like it will be a cops and robbers themed expansion

Hearthstone: Hardline incoming! Could be real though. The rewording on Ethereal Peddler and the reason for it indicates more card stealing mechanics in the next expansion.

5 hours ago, positiv2 said:

Hearthstone: Hardline incoming! Could be real though. The rewording on Ethereal Peddler and the reason for it indicates more card stealing mechanics in the next expansion.

Thats exactly what I was thinking too! 

On 10/26/2016 at 9:28 AM, positiv2 said:

Thief Mage is gonna feel so good.