FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Horcored

DK selfheal to strong?

Just saw this video on mmo-champion, a DK solo killing sha of fear(tier 14 MoP) 10man.

I wouldnt mind if this was old content, such as from cata, but seeing as dk's can solo sha of fear, would in my opinion mean it is the strongest tank in terms of survivability and would drive players to prioritise dk's over another heals for raids.

Blizz keeps talking about tryin to find a perfect balance and not make some tanks "Needed" for progression.

These are only my thoughts, so i'd love to hear from other players what you think about this.

- Horcored

This is one of THE best Death Knights in the world. He's in some of THE best gear possible. And he's THE best when it comes to soloing, which is what he is showing right now.

This fight wouldn't be possible to solo if he still did Cackle to one person. Blizz could have prevented this issue by just making sure Cackle worked when there was only one person in raid combat. I also didn't see any Breath of Fears...this easily would have made him die to the adds. Chalk this possibility up to Blizzard letting mechanics slide for one person.

Also keep in mind the logrithmic design of Blizzard's content and gearing strategy. Each tier you go up, your DPS, HPS, HP, and survivability go up exponentially, not linearly. I don't remember anyone complaining about Prot Paladins being able to solo Stone Guard. Was that irrelevant? What about current content being made easier by a Protection Paladin? You can one tank Heroic Megaera with a Protection Paladin, but not with a Blood DK. Monk tanks trivialize Ra-den...their Stagger makes watching for Fatal Strike child's play. DK tanks still have MUCH more difficult times with that ability as they have to have impeccable timing with their Blood Shield.

Combine these factors as to why the video linked exists:

• Blizzard programming changes fights when only one person exists
  • Gear scaling is exponentially higher every tier than it was the previous tier
  • He is really really really good at his class.

Dk's tend to take the least damage when they over gear the content, but often take the most damage when they under gear the content. Deathstrike/Bloodshield scale extremely well. A lot of the reason DK's are scaling so well is because as Zagam has pointed out, gear growth is exponential. I've attempted soloing Stoneguard, and I can handle the incoming damage, but my dps was about 25% too low to beat the enrage. But that fight used to wreck me when we first started in there.

Basically the maximum damage a DK can solo heal is equal to (HP x .07 x (1+Mastery%)) / Rune Regen

So for example when I first started tanking Stonguard I had roughly 550k HP, about 100% mastery, and baseline rune regen is 8.3 I think? so that would be 550k x .07 x (1+1) / 8.3sec. = 77k dmg every 8.3 seconds = 9.2k damage per second that I could cover completely with death strike. figure in other cooldowns, and I could probably handle about 12-15k HPS without any outside heals to keep me alive.

Now I'm sitting at 950K HP, 200% mastery, and a 7.5sec rune regen. that works out to 26.6k self heals per second. once again figure in other cooldowns, and I'm probably closer to 35k

if I remember right most of our healers were only doing about 40k HPS, and that included healing the rest of the raid, so I'm pretty sure I didn't take more than 35k damage on stoneguard when we first started workign on it, which is why I can easily self heal it now

Edited by Storm

This is one of THE best Death Knights in the world. He's in some of THE best gear possible. And he's THE best when it comes to soloing, which is what he is showing right now.

This fight wouldn't be possible to solo if he still did Cackle to one person. Blizz could have prevented this issue by just making sure Cackle worked when there was only one person in raid combat. I also didn't see any Breath of Fears...this easily would have made him die to the adds. Chalk this possibility up to Blizzard letting mechanics slide for one person.

Also keep in mind the logrithmic design of Blizzard's content and gearing strategy. Each tier you go up, your DPS, HPS, HP, and survivability go up exponentially, not linearly. I don't remember anyone complaining about Prot Paladins being able to solo Stone Guard. Was that irrelevant? What about current content being made easier by a Protection Paladin? You can one tank Heroic Megaera with a Protection Paladin, but not with a Blood DK. Monk tanks trivialize Ra-den...their Stagger makes watching for Fatal Strike child's play. DK tanks still have MUCH more difficult times with that ability as they have to have impeccable timing with their Blood Shield.

Combine these factors as to why the video linked exists:

• Blizzard programming changes fights when only one person exists
  • Gear scaling is exponentially higher every tier than it was the previous tier
  • He is really really really good at his class.

I think u missunderstand =) I am against any tier or fights that favor some tanks over others, if there was something like in a 10 boss raid, around 1-3 fights were each tank class vere supperior, it would be another case, cuz then only the tip top guilds would change out tanks for each fight to progress faster.

Like right now warr and druids are kinda "unfavored", where monks, dks and palas are the most favored tanks.

And i actually was against the "glitch" that allowed the lvl 80 pala to solo stoneguard.

I only put this out here to express my thoughts and see what other ppls thoughts were =)

- Horcored

I think u missunderstand =) I am against any tier or fights that favor some tanks over others, if there was something like in a 10 boss raid, around 1-3 fights were each tank class vere supperior, it would be another case, cuz then only the tip top guilds would change out tanks for each fight to progress faster.

Like right now warr and druids are kinda "unfavored", where monks, dks and palas are the most favored tanks.

And i actually was against the "glitch" that allowed the lvl 80 pala to solo stoneguard.

I only put this out here to express my thoughts and see what other ppls thoughts were =)

- Horcored

You can be agains it all you want, but it will always be there. Every fight has its own mechanics just like every class has its own set of abilities.

I must admit the DK self heal is rather strong, but this is in fact quite balanced out if you look at toher tanks their avoidance or other means of self heals.

and about the tiers groeing exponentially, this is most certainly true. I remember back in october/november when me and my guild were grinding MSV 10m Normal. (Oh god what was elegon a pain). Last week I saw some dude in chat " LF Tank MSV 10m Normal" And I was all like "Sure, why not" So I joined them, and we did it in 45 minutes in total. with random players, who do know the tactics, but not eachother. This just proves to me that this sort of thing muct be possible. I have been looking at this video more closely, and he is (like Zagam pointet out alread) REALLY good. he is making excellent use of his cooldowns, I can tell he has a nice build just by looking at his healthtotal. Concidering his Parry/Dodge/Mastery is just as good, I am not surprised.

I dont like it either, but it just is like this. Other fights are downright impossible to even normally tank as a DK, let alone solo

Shine