Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Belfort

Old timer needs some advice

5 posts in this topic

Hi

I am in a bit of a tight spot at the moment, I really struggle to understand/learn the current assassination spec. I know i'm doing something wrong, as reading on the forums ass is god-like, insane damage and shit. The thing is i get blown to pieces by quite a few classes. 1 stun and i'm gone. Outside evasion almost all melee classes are instant detonation. Maybe with the except of other rogues. 
Take the DH,
I get 100-0 in the AOE stun. It goes through evasion and cloak. I realize that it's a rock -paper- thingy but most of their damage seems unavoidable. Outside evasion i'm dead. I've tried everything, I can bring them down to 10-20% and "puff" they are back to 80% health. The evasion is used to survive the first 8 secs. If not popped i'll instantly die. 
They seem to clear DOTS randomly, they have some kind of evasion so landing the full kidney-shot misses a lot. Their ranged attack hits 8-9 times harder than mine, so kiting their burst is impossible. Vanishing is impossible, as i can be spotted instantly and my stun DR's are already up.

Almost all classes just use trinket on the cheap shot and they don't seemed to be "punished" for at all! there is no consequence like there used be.

The stealth seems to break out of frekin nowhere, latency is now working to the laggers advantage, as in, unless i'm 1m ahead of the target my stuns wont landl, i just end up doing a stupid animation!

If we ignore the mandatory l2p, I would appreciate some advice!

I played since vanilla and got my shoulders and all that, I know my way around a handful of classes. This expansions pvp “balance” or complete lack of, just seems odd. 

I'm probably going to sound like an asshole saying this, but just because you don't know how to beat something doesn't mean it's broken or overpowered. It sounds like you want help against DHs in general, so I've posted some tips below in addition to commentary on your post

5 hours ago, Belfort said:

I played since vanilla and got my shoulders and all that, I know my way around a handful of classes. This expansions pvp “balance” or complete lack of, just seems odd. 

To start with this, I can't disagree more. The PvP aspect is actually incredibly balanced, but it's more refined than it was before. Gone are the days of just running at each other, popping every cooldown, and hoping yours were enough to pull through.

PvP is significantly more nuanced now, and the addition of PvP Talents makes it even more challenging to fully understand the other classes you can face because they change the way the classes play and sometimes even add brand new skills.

Take the DH,
I get 100-0 in the AOE stun. It goes through evasion and cloak

Sure the DH stun goes through Evasion and Cloak, but you can anticipate that and use Feint. It's 30% damage reduction for free. Preempt the fact that he will stun you, especially when he pops Meta, and keep Feint up all the time. When he pops Meta, build to 6CP, Blind him, wait for his trinket, and use Kidney Shot. Then he sits there for a full stun that you can either use to heal or damage him in return. When he finally does come out of your stun, either your teammate can follow up or you can use Evasion for the last bit. You can't cloak the stun but you can cloak Eye Beam damage.

DH have 100% leech in their demon form, but it has like a 4 minute cooldown and outside that they die as much as anyone else. 

Don't fight inside their shadow AoE thing either, they'll avoid all your attacks.

Demon Hunters have an ability that lets them see stealth, but they can't do anything to you if they don't have Line of Sight. Don't run straight at them, wait for Spectral Sight to wear off; they move very slowly when this happens, it's not hard. Similarly with Vanish, don't use it and stand there, you need to break LoS.

Almost all classes just use trinket on the cheap shot and they don't seemed to be "punished" for at all! there is no consequence like there used be.

Punish them with Blind! Or wait 15 seconds and punish them with a full Kidney. There is a HUGE consequence if they trinket CS, because they're removing a very short stun to get stuck in an 8 second Blind and 6 second KS, plus whatever the rest of your team can follow up with

I appreciate the reply and no you dont sound like and asshole :D I did say, i knew i was missing something.

Some good pointers, especially the feint. I do try to have it up but anticipating the burst and having it up will help.

Unfortunately i don't play a spec with blind or gouge as that would diffidently help, maybe i'll change to sub! 

Also trying to increase my damage output. I can see i match other rogues in arena but it's dwarfed by other classes. like 3-1 for DH's (just an example).

Belfort

6 hours ago, Belfort said:

I appreciate the reply and no you dont sound like and asshole :D I did say, i knew i was missing something.

Some good pointers, especially the feint. I do try to have it up but anticipating the burst and having it up will help.

Unfortunately i don't play a spec with blind or gouge as that would diffidently help, maybe i'll change to sub! 

Also trying to increase my damage output. I can see i match other rogues in arena but it's dwarfed by other classes. like 3-1 for DH's (just an example).

Belfort

Actually 7/100 of the top end of the PvP ladder is Rogue :P. After so many Paladins, Shamans, and Mistweavers, that's a pretty decent percentage

Rogue isn't as popular at lower ratings because of the reasons I just listed - people aren't really able to anticipate incoming damage or cc and use Feint correctly to mitigate that. They just don't have the skill to outplay their opponents or the knowledge to communicate with their teammates about what to do and when. It's a difficult class to play, no doubt about that

I personally play Sub because it allows me that extra little bit of control. Sin is fantastic though - it provides an incredible amount of damage and pressure, but because it lacks that control it requires even more communication and planning to set things up with your team.

6 hours ago, Belfort said:

Belfort

If you have any particular questions, about specific matchups or just in general, you can keep posting here or PM me, whatever you like. I'm usually around and will help as much as I can