FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
CorpusJuris

Fire Mage Gemming Question - AMR v Class Guide

Hello,

I have a question about gemming as a fire mage. Here is a link to my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Corpusjuris/simple

I am currently gem red sockets with a Brilliant Primordial Ruby, and using my Serpent's Eye for Brilliant Serpent's Eye based on AMR. The class guide suggests I should use Potent Vermillion Onyx for red sockets, and my Serpent's Eye for Smooth Serpent's Eye.

I used AMR to optimize my gear based on what is in my bags and that is how I decided what to use.

Any suggestions? Or is AMR just wrong?

Thank you for the help!

Best Regards,

CorpusJuris

Hello,

I have a question about gemming as a fire mage. Here is a link to my armory: http://us.battle.net...pusjuris/simple

I am currently gem red sockets with a Brilliant Primordial Ruby, and using my Serpent's Eye for Brilliant Serpent's Eye based on AMR. The class guide suggests I should use Potent Vermillion Onyx for red sockets, and my Serpent's Eye for Smooth Serpent's Eye.

I used AMR to optimize my gear based on what is in my bags and that is how I decided what to use.

Any suggestions? Or is AMR just wrong?

Thank you for the help!

Best Regards,

CorpusJuris

To be frankly honest, I am not sure either which way would be better for you.

Simcraftedly, you should stick to what AMR suggests for you.

Common sense-ly you should go for the Vermilion Onyxes in red and 2 JC Crit gem in 2 yellow sockets. That would give you more crit, than you have now, resulting in much "stable" RNG on Pyroblasts!.

I would personally choose the second option.

Nonetheless, the difference in overall DPS would be like maximum 500, or so.. ? Really not notable :)

• Like 2

Stick with the class guide, you really need as much crit as possible at this point. Fire really doesn't flow well till about 40% crit and above. Also just as a side note, dump Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen ASAP, it's a terrible trinket for fire.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice! I went ahead and switched to the 2 JC crit gems. I also switched the Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen to my only other 522 trinket, Volatile Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault. I thought the 100% crit chance would be better than that.

I really want to play fire, it's my preferred spec. I just I am a little un-geared for it, and would likely get better results as Arcane or Frost. I am just not sure where to find the best spec for my current gear. AMR told me that Fire has the highest score for me, so I assumed that it meant highest damage as well.

If you have the opportunity, try to get Cha-Ye's Essence of Brilliance. Cha-Ye + Wush = BIS and trinkets are where it's at gear wise for mages. Till then the VTSPA will work fine. Posted Image

In my experience, you can get good results from any spec, as long as you can play it properly. That being said, I believe that arcane is the hardest to do well with in ToT purely because of the way the spec deals with movement. The actual rotation and playstyle....cakewalk. I'd say, if you like Fire, stick with it. You'll do just fine.

Please, stick to the main question of the topic and try to give answers for that.
  • Like 1

Even though it would be a sleight damage boost for you to switch to the pure int JC gems, just as AMR suggests, I would stick to the crit JC gems as well. It is only marginally better damage-wise to go with the pure int JC gems, but much more fun to play the spec if you get as much crit as you can.

I am just not sure where to find the best spec for my current gear. AMR told me that Fire has the highest score for me, so I assumed that it meant highest damage as well.

I am pretty sure that you cannot use AMR to compare which spec will be best for you with the gear you have. The score you get is based on the stat weights, but the stat weights only show how much better one stat is over another in the currently selected spec. 100,000 points of stats in frost spec won't result in the same potential dps as 100,000 points in fire or 100,000 points in arcane. You can only use the score to compare how different gemming, reforging or gearing will affect you within the same spec (and with the same stat weights).

• Like 1

Mr robot is not wrong. It is giving you the optimization based on the weights it has. As far as he knows, he's doing it right.

The key to Mr. Robot is to find out what YOU want in terms of gemming and stats and change the weights to suit those wants.

In most cases, Mr. Robot is not wrong, only misguided.

• Like 2