FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Colotest

Trying to improve enhancement DPS

I am currently trying to look through logs and see where I can improve my DPS as for my ilvl which is 874 I feel like I could be putting out way more damage, I have been using this site as a benchmark or idea of what I should be doing.

I have a couple of questions such as:

1. Should I be using pepper breath over old war for single target? I thought pepper breath didn't actually do the damage stated in the tooltip from looking on wowhead.
  2. For single target should I ALWAYS use SS before Crash lighting? And should I always keep my buffs up even if SS procs?
  3. For AoE should I be only using boulderfist, CL and SS/LL? Or should I keep doing the rotation/priority recommended here as I feel my Cleave is quite weak also.
  4. Is my stats ok and things like that and gear etc EG. Too much crit for example.
  5. I have also seen trinket debates here already is BiS for this tier not bloodthirsty instinct and appendages due to SS procs as of 7.1?
  6. What is better a ilvl865 spiked counter weight or a 850 plaguehive  trinket with a socket.

Here is the logs for HC last week: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/286pLk7ynYBQMCmv#type=damage-done&boss=-2

Here is the my character: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/tarren-mill/Cólotol/advanced

Any advice, tips or guidance is welcome as am looking to improve where I can!

Cheers!

Edited by Colotest

3 hours ago, Colotest said:
  • Should I be using pepper breath over old war for single target? I thought pepper breath didn't actually do the damage stated in the tooltip from looking on wowhead.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're asking? If you're asking about Potion of Deadly Grace vs Potion of the Old War, as far as I know, Old War is far superior. If you're talking Pepper Breath food vs Mastery, I don't think the spicy meatball is worth more than a flat damage increase.

For single target should I ALWAYS use SS before Crash lighting? And should I always keep my buffs up even if SS procs?

On single target, I generally use Crash Lightning when I have nothing else to cast (buffs are good, SS isn't procced, not over 130 maelstrom and my CD's aren't running. As far as keeping your buffs up over SS procs, yes. Flametongue and Froistbrand (if specced) should be a priority only behind keeping Boulderfist up. 

For AoE should I be only using boulderfist, CL and SS/LL? Or should I keep doing the rotation/priority recommended here as I feel my Cleave is quite weak also.

Boulderfist, Frostbrand, and Crash Lightning should be your priority buffs that you want 100% uptime if possible.  When it comes to parses, you're only going to be able to parse so high without a legendary that enhances cleave.

Is my stats ok and things like that and gear etc EG. Too much crit for example.

Your gear looks fine enough, there's a lot of pieces where mastery is the lesser stat, and a few pieces with no mastery at all. Your crit might be on the high side of things, but at least you've got more haste than crit. As an ele/resto main that just switched over three weeks ago, I can't say I'm so fortunate. Your parses are about 10% ahead of mine and I can pretty confidently point at this as the reason why.

I have also seen trinket debates here already is BiS for this tier not bloodthirsty instinct and appendages due to SS procs as of 7.1?

I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but as far as I'm aware, Spontaneous Appendages is absolutely BiS. When I get a proc I have endless procs of SS, so much so that I cap on Maelstrom because I have to stop and refresh buffs. I don't have Bloodthirsty Instinct but I imagine it's quite similar in effect: so long as you manage your buffs and your maelstrom well, they should both very well be BiS.

4 hours ago, Colotest said:

What is better a ilvl865 spiked counter weight or a 850 plaguehive  trinket with a socket.

Off the top of my head, I'd say the Counterweight. But try running a Simdps on both of them, and then try them both out on a dummy for 5 minutes. I can't tell you for sure without using them both.

Best,
Recnik (Thaelorae-Proudmoore (US))

What I've seen a ton of other people do is they stack mastery while putting crit and haste to a minimum. 17-20% on haste and slightly low crit with like 75-80% mastery at your iLvl. The guide says to do a 60% mastery to haste ratio but I think most people, including me, end up concluding that stacking the mastery is just so much more beneficial. No doubt, if you had the same gear with stacked mastery instead of your immense crit percentage, you'd be doing loads more damage. 

Also, about the trinket comparison, I'd imagine the Plaguehive would be better because it was our old BiS trinket? The Counterweight just doesn't seem to offer much in comparison albeit a higher iLvl trinket. 

Yes, Bloodthirsty and Appendages are our BiS trinkets because the Bloodthirsty provides good haste bonuses and is the most consistent and valuable trinket for us. Appendages because the insane SS procs while giving a huge boost to mastery which might be arguably be even better than Agility once you're higher up in gear. 

@Recnik

14 hours ago, Recnik said:

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're asking? If you're asking about Potion of Deadly Grace vs Potion of the Old War, as far as I know, Old War is far superior. If you're talking Pepper Breath food vs Mastery, I don't think the spicy meatball is worth more than a flat damage increase.

Sorry the last half in regards to Pepper Breath food vs Mastery, i thought as much but I seen on forums some people debating saying pepper breath was better but made little sense to me but was just clarifying.

On single target, I generally use Crash Lightning when I have nothing else to cast (buffs are good, SS isn't procced, not over 130 maelstrom and my CD's aren't running. As far as keeping your buffs up over SS procs, yes. Flametongue and Froistbrand (if specced) should be a priority only behind keeping Boulderfist up. 

According to the guide here, Crash Lightning should be used off CD but behind SS but why I asked about if I should CL first is due to the increase in SS damage which i think is 8% or 6% with 3 points from the artifact trait Gathering Storms ? Or if it was still more efficient to always SS first then CL when buffs are up and everything else is on CD that if you did proc after that you would benefit from that damage increase if you proc or SS comes off CD in time. 

My main concern is am I lacking any uptime on any of the core buffs etc or using too much Malestrom at certain times then causing issues if i get SS procs which sometimes happens.

Boulderfist, Frostbrand, and Crash Lightning should be your priority buffs that you want 100% uptime if possible.  When it comes to parses, you're only going to be able to parse so high without a legendary that enhances cleave.

This also ties in to the above, I know the legendarys are great for cleave but across the entire raid tier for example il'gynoth, am always quite low down in percentile parses overall and by ilvl which is why am uncertain if should be doing more or am doing something wrong regardless of legendary I believe.

Your gear looks fine enough, there's a lot of pieces where mastery is the lesser stat, and a few pieces with no mastery at all. Your crit might be on the high side of things, but at least you've got more haste than crit. As an ele/resto main that just switched over three weeks ago, I can't say I'm so fortunate. Your parses are about 10% ahead of mine and I can pretty confidently point at this as the reason why.

Yeah, I felt that was an issue for me and it was bringing me down, but mine was higher at a point but ave been able to lower it over time. I will have to go and look at BiS gear to try and bump up mastery and reduce crit then by the sounds of it.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but as far as I'm aware, Spontaneous Appendages is absolutely BiS. When I get a proc I have endless procs of SS, so much so that I cap on Maelstrom because I have to stop and refresh buffs. I don't have Bloodthirsty Instinct but I imagine it's quite similar in effect: so long as you manage your buffs and your maelstrom well, they should both very well be BiS.

Ok I thought as much ave heard how good this actually is and would make sense, and yeah BL instinct is somewhat the same.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers

Colo

Edited by Colotest

@Panderz

12 minutes ago, Panderz said:

What I've seen a ton of other people do is they stack mastery while putting crit and haste to a minimum. 17-20% on haste and slightly low crit with like 75-80% mastery at your iLvl. The guide says to do a 60% mastery to haste ratio but I think most people, including me, end up concluding that stacking the mastery is just so much more beneficial. No doubt, if you had the same gear with stacked mastery instead of your immense crit percentage, you'd be doing loads more damage. 

Also, about the trinket comparison, I'd imagine the Plaguehive would be better because it was our old BiS trinket? The Counterweight just doesn't seem to offer much in comparison albeit a higher iLvl trinket. 

Yes, Bloodthirsty and Appendages are our BiS trinkets because the Bloodthirsty provides good haste bonuses and is the most consistent and valuable trinket for us. Appendages because the insane SS procs while giving a huge boost to mastery which might be arguably be even better than Agility once you're higher up in gear. 

See I was basing it off the guide here and I thought haste and mastery where nearly as good as each other but now mastery is even ore valuable as per the update guide, and yeah swapping out that crit for mastery where I can would make sense also as I know I have too much crit at the moment.

Yeah, thinking the same think but was just getting a second opinion on it and ill just stick with it and see.

I dont have appendages but it seems to be huge for DPS so ill probs make that a priority to get if it drops in my next HC raid.

Thanks for taking the time to respond

Edited by Colotest
  • Like 1