FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kiuren

Death Knight DPS - which better?

Hi,

i just want to start play DK, but i dont know which spec is better to DPS after patch 7.1. Frost or Unholy? Dont see any Frost DK so i can't compare

19 hours ago, Kiuren said:

Hi,

i just want to start play DK, but i dont know which spec is better to DPS after patch 7.1. Frost or Unholy? Dont see any Frost DK so i can't compare

Like Noobreaper said and it also depends in what gear you have.

For example, i simmed a patchwerk for frost and unholy yesterday several times (to determine optimal gear combinations) and i compared the best results and frost came out ahead by 13%.

Go frost, unholy is worse until you get the legendary bracers for unholy, and only when unholy is just as good as frost.

• Like 1

Depends on playstyle and type of content you're primarily focused on. Also, note that frost will scale much better than unholy in the long run. 

Choosing a spec is kinda personal.  I prefer Frost play style as I found it easier to master compared to UH.

I found Frost to be fun and rewarding when well played. What's more Frost stuff with obliteration rotation is quite similar to Blood (haste/vers/crit) which make it easier when I need to play Tank for MM+.

Just reading UH rotation gave me a headache... :D But it's quite personal... 

Edited by Boogyness

Spend 20 mins on a dummy and try out each spec to see which suits you better before you invest a large amount of AP. 

While adding more AP makes them stronger, the playstyle will be largely unchanged. Both can be played well if you put in the time and get some lucky gear. 

UH depends alot more on RNG wounds and the likes while Frost recently got some decent buffs and should be very viable going forward. UH will likely get another buff to keep it viable but probably not for another month or so. Depends on what your planning on doing too ofc. 

On 11/5/2016 at 4:01 PM, Drtain said:

Go frost, unholy is worse until you get the legendary bracers for unholy, and only when unholy is just as good as frost.

Honestly this ^ is the most math and log based answer. If we care about pure numbers Frost is now ahead by margins. Unholy requires the legendary bracers to stay semi competitive but even then its a struggle. Between the two unholy is also a lot more unforgiving with rotational mistakes, frost does have balancing icy talons stacks but you mess up, pop EWR boom enough runes and rp to recover instantly. 

So in all cases now frost is superior in pure numbers. Now its your game play whichever spec you have fun with, but if its FOTM or top chart seeking, frost all the way.

• Like 1

I slipped into something Frosty last night and slapped the target dummy around for a few minutes.  (mainly tank gear with 25%C, 25% H, 25% M and some tiny amount of versa so hardly optimal. 

It felt good and the dps was 280k-320k with only a handful of artifact points spent.  Rotation seems very simple and forgiving in comparison to UH, will have to test in raid or dungeons to confirm. 

Need to find decent WA's now and have some fun with it. I can see its strengths in 5 man content with a 60 second stun being very handy. 

Edited by Shells

Sims pull Frost > UH , though yet to see it myself personally in a live environment.

Frost > Disorientate / Stuns
UH > Survivability  / Double grips 

Go with the playstyle you prefer, UH 'will' get a tuning in due course. 

2 hours ago, Skorn said:

Sims pull Frost > UH , though yet to see it myself personally in a live environment.

Frost > Disorientate / Stuns
UH > Survivability  / Double grips 

Go with the playstyle you prefer, UH 'will' get a tuning in due course. 

If we use logs as a benchmark (and yes im aware of sampling bias, battle exploitation etc) it varies quite a bit. There is sort of a random distribution on most of the fights however, on most of EN you see more frost in the top 200 than unholy. Many unholy still claim the top spot on a couple fights. So it's a matter of frost having a lead, just not a devastatingly big one in live numbers, this is for all rankings sans lfr because lfr.

So the answer for the general player I always give is play what you want you are doing the game for fun. However TC wanted the best, and in sims, in real play, and in community, frost has a lead. It's also more lenient in its learning curves. So, frost has a lot of advantages atm. However you are completely right. Frost didn't scale its way into its current situation. Unholy will get buffs later on and then the pendulum will swing

like it always does XD