FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
danksch

Returned to WoW and irritated by Tank dmg

Hello,

first of all I wanna say kudos to the superb people and community here at Icy Veins, the site itself and reading through the forums helped me a great deal to get back into the game (havent played since WotLK) and grasp the new stuff better.

Now that I've hit 90, something bugs me: the fact that no matter what dungeon im in (I've just unlocked heroic dungeons), tanks seem to be doing most damage on nearly every fight.

Is this..intended?

At first I thought it's gear only, but I've seen equally geared DPS doing less damage, not only on AoE fights, even single-target (on bosses, for instance.) I mean, they cant all suck, can they?

So I asked around, and people told me, it's due to the fact that Vengeance isnt capped ?

As someone who has only healed and DPSed - can anyone tell me, what that means?

And does this also apply to Raid environment? Tanks dishing out so much damage, I mean.

Kinda makes you feel obsolete in dungeons, at the moment...like you only bring DPS to the table because you cannot stack tanks, hah.

Thanks in advance!

I'm a Blood DK tank, and I still do the occasional HC. Sometimes I am doing more DPS sometimes less. it all depends on the party.

In a raid environment, it is absolutely not normal for a Tank to outDPS a DPS class. I am usually lowest or second lowest not counting healers. (when Im lowest, its because the other tank is second lowest)

As far as gear goes, gear is not everything. Gear makes the numbers change, but a good usage of abilities and cooldowns is way more important.

When I'm in a HC dungeon, I am mostly outgearing everyone, keep in mind that raiding comes with 500+ il nowadays and this is like to grow even more when The siege of Orgrimar raid airs.

I am very familiar with my class, and always try to use my cooldowns as optimal as possible. meaning my DPS increases because of this.

Just keep going, and start LFRing asap. when you got your gear together, and you're fully enchanted/reforged/gemmed, your DPS will likely increase alot.

Vengeance is an ability that grants Tanks some more attack power.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Vengeance <== here you can find more info on that.

Just keep going and do your best, in no time you will be lauging at the poor tanks 50K DPS.

it has very little to do with vengeance in 5 mans, there's barely any vengeance gains in 5 mans, and there's magnitudes more vengeance in raids yet tank's don't consistently out DPS the DPS in raids, and a tanks DPS is generally mandated by his vengenace, so whilst gear will help a tank's DPS he's still only going to get the same 9k vengeance in scholomance at 463 as he would in 522. DPS'sDPS is much more a function of Playstle and gear

A freshly dinged DPS should be pulling 30-40K minimum with no enchants/gems but if all you do is dungeons and early LFR you don't need more DPS, so theirs no impetus to get better, All the tank classes are capable of soloing all the 5 man content somewhere between 440 and 463 ilvl so there is no reason or need to get better; for DPS, turn up, be sucky, collect loot works just fine.

And this is further emphasized when you unlock heroic scenarios at 480ilvl, this content is designed ot be done by any group compesition, its entirely doable with 3 DPS, and is often best done with 3 DPS, however in trade you will still see "LF TANK HC SCENARIO" any decent tank will be bored out of their mind, there's no challenge (again like 5 man HCs) but becuase you're 2 DPSing rather than 3 (and the tank has no vengeance so thier DPS is abysmal) everyong takes half as long again to die, essentially turning the HC scenario into an extended session on the dummies.

It depends on the class of tank. Druid and Monk tanks run with high DPS stats and hard cap Expertise, so they can do high damage even with low Vengeance. The other tanks need to pull the entire dungeon, but the 5.3 gear is so far ahead of what the heroic dungeons are tuned for, they can easily do that and will rarely put the group at risk doing so. I frequently tank dungeon bosses in Cat Form with HotW, and the result is usually that it takes a few seconds instead of a minute and very little damage goes out.

In a group of all fresh 90's the tank will do the most dps because of Vengeance. 10-20k vengeance is a huge dps boost for a brand new tank. When I was a fresh 90 DK tank I was easily doing 40k dps in heroics, and most dps were only doing 20-40k. But compared to now, 10-20k vengeance in a dungeon is nothing compared to the 100-200k vengeance I have in raids. I can do 70k dps tanking just based on my gear, and the vengeance from a heroic dungeon isn't making a difference.

Most of the time I tank dungeons in frost spec as long as the healer doesn't look like they just hit 90 today. I do 100-150k in frost spec compared to 70k in blood.