FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Crutches

Koltira's Newfound Will

Hey guys, I was starting to lose hope that i'd never get a legendary.  I've done every emissary quest (minus 1 or 2) since like the 2nd week of legion, played almost every day, and no oranges ever dropped.  Logged on this morning, quickly did my Suramar quests and turned in the chest and BOOM! Koltira's Newfound Will.  With the chance to get a refund of two runes on obliterate use, does this change my rotation?  Should i prioritize using obliteration over GA?

Thanks!

The legendary only gives a chance to refund the two runes on an Obliterate use. GA is still fine as the two runes can be used to either fund Frostscythe or GA if it's off cooldown. Obliteration is for a more single-target based build. So that would come down to what build you want to run.

Most Frost Dks run the MG Build since it is currently the top DPS build for the spec. But if you find Obliteration giving you higher DPS or you simply prefer the ability, then use that. But Koltira's Newfound Will does not require a change in talents to be properly utilized to it's maximum potential.

1 hour ago, Crutches said:

Hey guys, I was starting to lose hope that i'd never get a legendary.  I've done every emissary quest (minus 1 or 2) since like the 2nd week of legion, played almost every day, and no oranges ever dropped.  Logged on this morning, quickly did my Suramar quests and turned in the chest and BOOM! Koltira's Newfound Will.  With the chance to get a refund of two runes on obliterate use, does this change my rotation?  Should i prioritize using obliteration over GA?

Thanks!

Graz on the legendary.

Id test it with a dummy for about 3 mins or 2 obliteration cycles. It depends on how many more obliterates you cast with obliteration vs how many you cast without it.

Id say that it would be maybe 10-15 more considering you'd be using 1 rune per GA whereas you'd be casting more dry obliterates on top of the procs with obliteration.

Im not sure but at first glance won't this legendary proc effectively shut of FP as well?

19 hours ago, Sniz said:

Im not sure but at first glance won't this legendary proc effectively shut of FP as well?

thankfully fp procs with fewer than 2 full runes, so while it does have the potential to turn it off its not as big a threat as it was in 7.0. it merely leads to a higher apm rotation, so you need to smash your obliterate button faster XD

20 hours ago, Ghastlyspec said:

Most Frost Dks run the MG Build since it is currently the top DPS build for the spec. 

Not sure I can say that is true anymore. OBRA is dominant in single target and low cleave, machine gun is for anything with lots of adds or trash that can be cleaved off of. So, if we look at EN for instance, OBRA dominates the top 200 rankings in every fight save for dragons (because of all the potential adds) and illy (which frankly doesn't mean anything because people pad numbers on the bloods)  and thats on every difficulty not counting lfr because lfr. Same deal in Trials, Odyn and Guarm are pure RA and helya is a mix of RA and FsC. Albeit this is raid environment, in mythic + we see a sort of random distribution, FsC is great for trash but eh for bosses, so people vary on which they prefer.

so its a game people should play what they want, but RA has a clear advantage in the lion share of current content. now ra still is frozen pulse centric so if we are considering that machine gun then yes, but the pure machine gun name came from an old ic6 rotation where you completely skip obliterate. 

But both you and shells are correct, the legendary doesn't necessitate any huge rotational changes except for hammer obliterate faster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, demonardvark said:

But both you and shells are correct, the legendary doesn't necessitate any huge rotational changes except for hammer obliterate faster.

Love this, first  post in here and already getting thanks !

I think he meant Sniz

Not sure I can say that is true anymore. OBRA is dominant in single target and low cleave, machine gun is for anything with lots of adds or trash that can be cleaved off of. So, if we look at EN for instance, OBRA dominates the top 200 rankings in every fight save for dragons (because of all the potential adds) and illy (which frankly doesn't mean anything because people pad numbers on the bloods)  and thats on every difficulty not counting lfr because lfr. Same deal in Trials, Odyn and Guarm are pure RA and helya is a mix of RA and FsC. Albeit this is raid environment, in mythic + we see a sort of random distribution, FsC is great for trash but eh for bosses, so people vary on which they prefer.

so its a game people should play what they want, but RA has a clear advantage in the lion share of current content. now ra still is frozen pulse centric so if we are considering that machine gun then yes, but the pure machine gun name came from an old ic6 rotation where you completely skip obliterate. 

I know i sound like a complete noob so please bear with me as I am just coming back to the game since Panda Palace drove me to the insane asylum. Can you give a little detail or send me in the right direction when you mention MG vs OBRA so i can read up on the different specs and rotations.

thanks all

EDIT: My Noobness knows no bounds - Found what i was looking for 

Edited by Dreadshyn

58 minutes ago, Shells said:

Love this, first  post in here and already getting thanks !

I think he meant Sniz

lol omg you are right, im sorry sniz T_T

42 minutes ago, Dreadshyn said:

I know i sound like a complete noob so please bear with me as I am just coming back to the game since Panda Palace drove me to the insane asylum. Can you give a little detail or send me in the right direction when you mention MG vs OBRA so i can read up on the different specs and rotations.

thanks all

EDIT: My Noobness knows no bounds - Found what i was looking for 

well here i was ready to type an answer, im going to anyways

Frost playstyle right now varies on your tier 6 talent choice of either frost scythe or runic attenuation. 

MG refers to machine gun which is a fast pace rotation that doesn't use obliterate at all it uses frostscythe instead. it refers basically to the fact that you need to hammer your frostscythe button with an unholy vigor. 

OBRA is short for obliterate / runic atten. So basically you take runic atten and use obliterate as your main ability. Not quite as high of an APM rotation as MG.

so basically the two rotations differ in do you use obliterate yes or no?

From what I've seen and tested MG build is better for Mythic+ dungeons because of the thrash. RA is waaaay better for ST. It all depends on your goal for the specs. It just is what it is. MG is better AoE and RA is  better ST. Now with the belt I just received it also and my worry was that Frozen Pulse would take a hit. But from my sims it doesn't. You can look at it in a few ways. Okay you refund 2 runes aka you get an extra obliterate. It's only a 15 percent chance so it's not like its happening everytime. At max your Pulse will tick for 100k but you're getting an additional Obliterate, which generates more Runic Power to deal another Frost Strike. My rotation has stayed the same on Sims my dps jumped from 344k to 360k. I understand it's just sims but it breaks down your dps. I recommend simulation craft. I'm no expert this is just my thinking. I also use GA because it can crit for upwards 600k.