Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Assya

[Frost] Lack in DPS

2 posts in this topic

Hello!

I've been playing a bunch of mage recently to eventually find myself at 850 ilevel (down to 849 for stat purpose, I swapped an item for more haste and crit instead of mastery). However, since my last raid (yesterday), I feel like I might not be pulling enough damage for my ilevel so I'm looking for advices concerning the spec, rotation or stats. Further down, you're going to find my armory profile but I want to say it right here and now : I am aware that I'm overflowing with Mastery and I am currently working towards lowering that by a lot (if only gear would drop D:).

While we're here, I also wanted to hear about your thoughts on specs. I just did a Maw Mythic +4 and some people didn't seem to be happy when they saw that I was frost and told me they should've known before because of some AoE issue and damage in general. Could it be that Frost isn't as good as Simulationcraft says it is ? I roughly hit the 200k DPS mark and I find myself pretty low compared to some people. Maybe Fire is better? Or even Arcane (even though I find it disgusting...). What do y'all think?

Cheers!

Trial of Valor log, look for Assya : https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/pGd8rVCk1qQPFgKD/#fight=1&type=damage-done

Armory link : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/Assya/advanced

EDIT : In case it shows Felo'melorn, I'll put this image of my actual stats with Frost spec because I tend to try the other specs sometimes...

Wow.PNG

Edited by Assya

Hey.

First of all, your gear is a bit low and you also didn't tell us how much you have progressed your Artifact, so these results are quite natural. Even though you are the lowest in damage done in this log, your performance at your item level (the one on the right) is at 70 which is pretty decent. In fact, you are the third highest in item level performance and you have the lowest item level in your raid, so that's good in my book. For gearing, remember to reach the 33,33% Crit cap first and then go for Haste.

I see you are playing the Ray of Frost build, so I can't help you much with that and if you did your rotation properly because I am not familiar with that build. Bear in mind that the Bone Chilling/Thermal Void build is considered superior than the RoF one. Although maybe it's no use learning it since they are nerfing it in Nighthold from what I've seen in the PTR (although everything is subject to change).

Frost is only good at single target and 1-2 targets cleave so I understand the skepticism of your Mythic+ groups. Personally, with trash being harder and more in numbers than bosses I wouldn't bring Frost in a high Mythic+ dungeon.

Now, if Frost is better than Fire. After the patch 7.1.2, everyone rushed to jump on the Frost hype train quite fast... Even I said in another topic that Frost is probably the best in single target. After playing the spec a bit myself and seeing some logs, I am not too sure about that. Sure it performs better in Sims and in Warcraft Logs, but if you look closely in Warcraft Logs: a) the Frost parses are extremely few in number compared to the Fire ones, b) most of these amazing Frost parses are done by people with equally amazing gear (880+) and c) the average damage for Frost is higher than Fire, but the maximum damage for Frost is lower (sometimes by a large number too) than Fire [this difference has to do with point A]. The same could be argued for Arcane, although I am a bit reserved about this since I haven't touched the spec since Legion launched. Most people started as Fire and worked on their Fire artifact and I am of the opinion that currently they should still stick to it.

The sims are showing Frost (and Arcane) quite high in Nighthold but until Nighthold itself is released, these sims are just estimated guesses and nothing more. From the experiences on the PTR so far, Arcane is looking like it's gaining ground but again nothing is solid yet.

TL;DR: All specs are pretty close to each other at the moment. If you like Frost, you should stick to it and maybe it pays off well for you in the future. However, it still remains a weak aoe/dungeon spec so I would work on one of the other two specs as well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Esabeth
      Our mission is to enjoy World of Warcraft with old and new friends, defeat Azeroth’s enemies, experience daring sagas and savor the land of Azeroth and beyond.

Ascendency is a guild comprised of sociable, mature (21+), team oriented and easy going players. We are looking for more with similar affinities wanting to explore the game and all its aspects all while having fun. All classes are welcomed. Here’s what we offer:

Faction: Horde
      Server: US-Thrall – EST
      Member Type: Adult (21+) Working class w/full time jobs
      Voice Service: Discord
      Social Community: 
      Bi-monthly guild contests/activities, holiday events, and general achievement runs.
      We strive to foster a guild community that represents our values and serve as a home for members, our focus for Legion will be PVE Raid content, Group Mythic Dungeon runs, PVP content, and Achievements. 
      Raid: 
      For those dedicated, who seek a challenge, and are able to progressively ascend higher-level content, come join the Ascendant Legion to defeat Azeroth’s enemies.

Details: Normal progression
      Dedicated/dynamic Team
      Tuesday - 8PM EST (3hr)/Wednesday - 8PM EST (3hr)
      We are 7/7 Emerald Night, 3/3 Trial of Valor and 3/10 Nighthold on the first week!
      Currently Recruiting:
      Death Knight - Tank Demon Hunter - Tank Druid - Tank, Range Dps or Healer Mage - Dps Monk - Tank, Dps or Healer Paladin - Tank or Healer Priest - Healer Shaman - Range Dps Warlock - Dps Hunter - Range Dps
      Loot: Personal
      Class: The one you enjoy (with a chosen off-spec kept up to date)

PVP:
      For those interested in competing together to slay opposing faction players, join and help forge a merciless cadre of champions.

Details: Battlegrounds/Thursdays - 8:30PM EST (2hrs)
      Class: The one you enjoy 

Group Mythic Dungeons:
      For those interested in challenging themselves outside of Raids, then the new Mythic Dungeons feature could be the right fit for you. You get showcase your talents and get rewarded with increasing challenges and loot. Mythic groups will be more fluid than our raid group and can be run on more accommodating night for players with fluctuating schedules.

Details: 5-Man Group
      Sunday/Monday-8PM EST (2hrs)
      Loot: Personal
      Class: The one you enjoy (with a chosen off-spec kept up to date)

Achievements: 
      As an effort to promote the guild’s values, We plan to seek both old content and new, accomplishing those more elusive ones as a group while having a great time. Achievements like For the Horde, Herald of the Titans, meta-raid, and dungeon achievements are some of the achievement we will be looking complete. Our goal is work together and support fellow members to accomplish some the games toughest achievements. Some require a team to complete or at the very least make it easier.

Details: Ascendency Members/As scheduled

Guild Communication:
      The guild has a paid web site, Facebook page and a Twitter account enabling members to socialize and stay informed with the latest and greatest. The website is our primary location to keep up with happenings of the guild.
      http://ascendency.guildlaunch.com/
      https://www.facebook.com/ascendencyguild
      Twitter: Ascendencyguild

Kyriale#1795 - Jyotika
      Esabeth#1634 - Caelaera
      Feorne#1606 - Nóz
      Kelden#1324 - Stormdash
    • By Westvleteren
      Are you looking to experience content with a solid group, but you don't have the time or desire for Mythic raiding?  We might be a great fit!
      Our team is recruiting for normal and heroic mode Nighthold and beyond.  Flex raids mean you always have a raid slot.  The guild provides all raid consumables.
      Raid times:
      Tuesday and Thursdays, 8:00PM - 11:00PM EST. Only six hours a week (often less once fights are on farm).  
      Sunday evenings we often hold optional Alt raids.
      Recruitment needs:
      We are especially interested in Warlocks, Boomkins, Hunters, Death Knights, Demon Hunters, and Rogues. Even if you are not one of those classes, don't hesitate to reach out if we sound like a good fit for you.
      Requirements:
      We ask that you join us in Discord during raids, at least to listen.  Perform reasonably for your gear level in Normal and Heroic raid content.  Our guideline is ilvl 865 but we can work with you. Our raid schedule is light, so we ask that you try to make raids whenever possible.  We of course realize things come up sometimes. Contact:
      Fill out an application on our website: http://condescending.enjin.com/  Navigate to the recruitment forums for instructions. My main is Westvleteren-Zul'jin (battle tag: Westvleteren#1524). My recruitment partner is Aârøñ-Zul'jin (battle tag: cactusdoodle#1677).
    • By Alst3r
      Hello hunters,
      i nees some help with the marksmanship rotation. I'm trying to follow the guide of azortharion

In no-proc periods:  Arcane Shot until 95 Focus, then  Aimed Shot to not Focus cap and repeat. If  Windburst becomes available during one of these periods, use it immediately and generate focus with Arcane Shot afterwards. Then, towards the end of the  Vulnerable window, cast the 2 Aimed Shots with roughly 4 seconds remaining on  Vulnerable. When you get a proc: →  Marked Shot → Keep Cast  Arcane Shot once (twice with extremely high Haste) so that there is only ~4 seconds remaining on Vulnerable → 2x  Aimed Shots.  
      But i really have some diffcult. Usually i'm doing this:
      - If vulnerable is down: cast windurst if is up or marked shot -> 1x arcane shot -> 2x aimed shot
      But really, i never have enough focus to do this and a lot of time i can cast only 1 aimed shot.

I dont understand.
    • By mxyates
      So I love this brawlers guild and have thoroughly enjoyed the challenge up until meatball. Now I'm just bitter. I'm a frost mage but I also tried arcane and I can't touch this guy. Ive tried any and ever strategy and buff I'm able to afford and haven't even got him under 50% yet. I'm 865 so I feel like it should be possible I didn't think my gear would be a problem until rank six honestly. So any advice or help or tips or whatever I'm desperate.
    • By Damien
      This thread is for comments about our Value Reno Mage Gadgetzan Standard deck.