FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Crutches

Fsc rotation

Hey guys, i'm back again with another question.

So i've recently been trying out the fsc build w/ GA in mythic +.  I feel great during the trash aoe pulls, but when it comes down to performing decently on the ST bosses, i'm falling short.  I'm incredibly starved of runic power during the whole encounter and have trouble keeping up my icy talons to 3 stacks (most of the time it falls off at 2).

So down to my questions.

1) During AoE pulls, should i be using obliterate until i get a killing machine proc, then use frost scythe?  I've seen videos of fDK's using this method and it seems to be working well for them.  Or should basically forget obliterate and remove it from my AoE rotation and only spam frost scythe?

2) I realize i don't have any logs for ST encounters to show ya'll, but can i get some feedback/strategies on dealing with ST encounters with this build? Is it common to have the issue i presented in my intro paragraph?  For these fights, i'm basically using my OBRA rotation and not utilizing frost scythe at all (even when killing machine procs).  I'm trying to only use frost strike when icy talons is around 1 second until it falls off.  I'm not sure how to deal with the runic power issues.

Thanks guys!

Well the "OBRA" rotation is overall better for mythic +s Frost Scythe while it feels awesome makes you come super short during ST as mentioned, while you already have enough AoE beteween howling blast, GA, Remorseless, Frozen Pulse, and Fury of Sindragosa. That being said it depends on group comp if you have 0 aoe classes then yes this would be better, but if you run with people who have decent aoe I would suggest the better single target talents/rotation.

Sounds like you could benefit from my approach.

If you check my talents you'll see it's not quite standard, but it's designed for AoE + ST as a hybrid.

I find that ME helps with being resource starved with the lack of RA in the build and keeping OB means some burst is still very doable.

Certainly you could put FrPul in where I use FrFog (I'm just addicted to big crits) and Avalanche in place of my Icecap without changing the rotation at all. In fact with the runes from ME, you may find Icecap remains better than FP for you too.

Have a test and see what you think.

Regarding your questions:

1) Yes, ignore OB if you have more than 2 or 3 targets...

My AoE opener is to HB -> PoF,RW,Obliteration -> FS/FScy eating KM's as I go. Personally, I may weave an Oblit into my rotation if I have RW up, purely for the chance at a buffed Rime.. but that is only because of my helm, otherwise I'd ignore it 100% until FF is dropping off.

2) For ST I would use Oblit to generate Rime but only when you don't have KM to spend on FScy.

Edited by Browed

Drtain's perspective was spot on, it depends on your group comp. If our Assassin rogue comes as well as our demo lock, I stick with FsC since we need the big cleave. On trash I howling blast and just spam FsC, that in and of itself is enough to obliterate the dps charts (do you... do you see what I did there? XD ). If we have decent aoe our strong AOE I stick with OBRA so that I can do still quite strong dps on trash but burn down bosses (also with legendary helm OBRA's aoe can potentially compete depending on your stats).

As far as single target using FsC its ugly. Don't try to use the OBRA rotation while specced into frostscythe it won't work, you will be rune power starved as you have seen. The optimum way to use FsC in this case is to use obliterate when you don't have km (this grants more rp) and to use FsC when you do have Km (for leet deeps). For these runs I highly recommend taking obliteration, it guarantees you 4 (ish) KM FsC on each boss, if not more if your group dps is low. As far as icy talons, refreshing with only 1 sec left is risky, I try to weave every other ability to frost strike if possible, with FsC we don't see that as easily as obra but it can be done. The other thing to is your cooldowns, ERW gives you fresh runes and a nice bit of rp, so to expect to pop it once per boss is reasonable. That will give you emergency rp to either frost strike or obliterate for enough rp to frost strike. 

so tldr: aoe just spam fsc, you'll do enough as that,  Single target; its rough, but obliterate no km, fsc with km, obliteration talent, more frost strike, ERW if starved.

This thread has my gears turning because im sitting here trying to guesstimate what % of each dungeon are 3+ pulls.

2 hours ago, Sniz said:

This thread has my gears turning because im sitting here trying to guesstimate what % of each dungeon are 3+ pulls.

part of it depends on your tank too :P

some tanks like to run and gun grabbing big packs, some like smaller concentrated ones.

What is obra rotation? Also what are the different kinds of rotations for a frost dk? I'm new to the class and I still don't know most acronyms. Machine gun rotation im guessing is the one with obliteration? Also I got Koltira's waist(legendary waist) which rotation is best for me?

15 hours ago, acidoxyde said:

What is obra rotation? Also what are the different kinds of rotations for a frost dk? I'm new to the class and I still don't know most acronyms. Machine gun rotation im guessing is the one with obliteration? Also I got Koltira's waist(legendary waist) which rotation is best for me?

OBRA uses obliterate and runic attenuation talent

Machine gun uses frost scythe and spams frostscythe.

Detailed rotations can be found in our guide here https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/frost-death-knight-pve-dps-rotation-cooldowns-abilities

WIth legendary belt (Grats by the way) you are better off sticking with OBRA. Now, there is a more complex machine gun that does use obliterate but its kind of a pain and the belt would make the rotation a bit clunky, so OBRA is probably best in your case. 

For m+ I can't advise frostscythe strongly enough - if you're doing mythic 10/11+ you have to make huge pulls and frostscythe is just insanely powerful. If you're pulling small enough that OBRA works I doubt you'll meet the time requirements.

I also find that for m+ length boss fights, although my single target dps is certainly worse than OBRA, the extra trash AOE more than makes up for it (by a long way in fact).

I really don't see how anyone is running mythic 10 and above with OBRA. 

Edited by Ommie
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2016 at 2:18 AM, Ommie said:

For m+ I can't advise frostscythe strongly enough - if you're doing mythic 10/11+ you have to make huge pulls and frostscythe is just insanely powerful. If you're pulling small enough that OBRA works I doubt you'll meet the time requirements.

I also find that for m+ length boss fights, although my single target dps is certainly worse than OBRA, the extra trash AOE more than makes up for it (by a long way in fact).

I really don't see how anyone is running mythic 10 and above with OBRA. 

At the moment I'm using MG for mythic+ and OBRA for EN. I use Fsc on pulls that are 3 mobs+, if it's just 2 I use obliterate instead. I think that this works best. Am I wrong? Also should I use GA on cooldown even in single target situations?

On 11/28/2016 at 8:15 PM, acidoxyde said:

At the moment I'm using MG for mythic+ and OBRA for EN. I use Fsc on pulls that are 3 mobs+, if it's just 2 I use obliterate instead. I think that this works best. Am I wrong? Also should I use GA on cooldown even in single target situations?

No that sounds about right, FScythe for M+ and OBRA for EN/HoV. I use GA on cooldown in single target situations, but I understand why people have switched to obliteration as well. I think obliteration, if you use it perfectly, will be a DPS increase - but generally people are stressed in more difficult content and throw in some movement + spell effects to deal with/dodge and I think it's hard to use obliteration to its full potential.