Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maruken

How do I play around my mastery as WW?

4 posts in this topic

Title. Right now I'm trying to get every one of my attacks to benefit from my mastery, which means I have a lot of downtime when I have no cooldowns, no energy, and I've already used Blackout Kick. Simulationcraft suggests that this downtime is normal, but when I talked to my experienced WW friend, she said she has no downtime at all.

Am I playing wrong, or do I just need to ignore Mastery and spam Blackout Kick when I have nothing else (which wouldn't make sense with Hit Combo).

There is downtime in the spec, especially when you're using the Serenity talent.  Whirling Dragon Punch has less of an issue with this due to having the extra button to press (even if it is on a decent cd).  Don't forget that you have Chi Wave and Flying Serpent Kick at your disposal to fill empty GCD's, both of which will add a stack of Hit Combo/trigger the mastery.  Ignoring mastery completely is a very bad idea, as it's a decent multiplier to your damage coupled with Hit Combo as well.

14 minutes ago, Orthios said:

There is downtime in the spec, especially when you're using the Serenity talent.  Whirling Dragon Punch has less of an issue with this due to having the extra button to press (even if it is on a decent cd).  Don't forget that you have Chi Wave and Flying Serpent Kick at your disposal to fill empty GCD's, both of which will add a stack of Hit Combo/trigger the mastery.  Ignoring mastery completely is a very bad idea, as it's a decent multiplier to your damage coupled with Hit Combo as well.

I had no idea Flying Serpent Kick could be used as a rotational ability. I'll try that out, thanks.

Another question, Icy Veins says that Whirling Dragon Punch is the highest DPS talent, but Simulationcraft is using Serenity. Which one is correct?

Edited by Maruken

40 minutes ago, Maruken said:

I had no idea Flying Serpent Kick could be used as a rotational ability. I'll try that out, thanks.

Another question, Icy Veins says that Whirling Dragon Punch is the highest DPS talent, but Simulationcraft is using Serenity. Which one is correct?

Serenity is better if you are comfortable with the rotation and are looking for the highest DPS.  WDP is just fine, and slightly easier to use, at the cost of some DPS (compared to Serenity).  WDP is also better for open world content such as World Quests, since you typically don't use your CDs often.

Also, be careful about using FSK in your rotation.  It's incredibly useful for movement and should be saved for that over using it to alleviate downtime immediately.