FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
godsilla94

Frost DK Help

Hello fellow Deathknights

I have been maining a Deathknight for Legion and have been enjoying it a lot thus far. I have recently transitioned from Unholy to Frost, as Frost has become stronger and stronger and also seems to be scaling better. While I have been performing very well early on in the expansion (usually between 90th and 100th percentile on average), I feel like my performance is not nearly up to where I'd like it to be.

My character:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/thrall/Àtrocity/simple

Logs:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/15525253/10/  For my character

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/T3HPFbaRpJZXqjYc/#type=damage-done&boss=-2 This week's EN HC

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/VKpF7wR2Ac3QrnaW#boss=-2&wipes=2&type=damage-done  This week's ToV HC

I feel like I'm playing the rotation mostly correctly and my talent choice should also be fine. I even simmed my character and adapted the gear accordingly. Some points where I think my underperforming could come from:

- My weapons: They are STILL at 884, which is a joke. I just can't seem to drop any relics :(

- Legendaries boosting ilvl: While it is nice to have 2 legendaries, both don't bring much benefit to Frost in Bossfights apart from the raw stats

- Trinkets: I am not sure how good my trinkets are, as simming them seems kinda tricky for me. Apart from the ones im wearing, I've got some others in my inventory that I could add if someone wants me to

I would appreciate any help or advice, as simple as it might be. Anythings that you find would be worth looking at, as I look to improve. I usually tend to see anything under 70th percentile as a failure for myself, which is why I'm trying to improve right now.

Thank you in advance!

Best

Àtrocity - Thrall

Update:

I have gotten lucky during my Karazhan Timerun and snapped up 2 relics, boosting my weapons to a solid 899. However, I still feel like my performance is sub-par. These are this week's logs with the new weapons, though granted I got all 4 wisdom teeth removed a day before and was not as concentrated as I would usually be.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/jPXwgrDtYN6BpCGQ#type=damage-done&boss=-2

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/vGQyaLB18VMnKzHm/#type=damage-done

I'd appreciate any advice that you can give me!

Àtrocity - Thrall

@godsilla94

First I would suggest swapping the vers gems to mastery, kind of regardless of sims Mastery is just a stat the is really strong. I would Also suggest trying out Obliteration if you have a good amount of Ambidextrous Relics like 2 or more I believe it starts to become much stronger than GA, you are during this xavius but your talented GA currently which is why I mention. Just looking at your Xavius logs, you got two SF's off so that's good. Theres some room for improvement on your Icytalons but with the nature of the fight it's pretty hard to get a 100% uptime admittedly, with that said still you could improve possibly. Some of your rime procs went to waste, you should try and use those as much as possible with that said, Icytalons>KM proc> Rime Proc. But pretty rare one will ever expire because you don't have room to use it, exception would be during Obliteration. You only had 3 casts of Obliteration You could have gotten 5 or 6 maybe 7? Hard to tell exactly on xavius. You had a lot of times where you were over 2 runes not for long periods of time but something that could be improved on I would suggest never being over 2 if possible. There was a couple times where you hit runic cap which as frost is a very large dps decrease would suggest always being sub 70 if not lower, and try to not end a fight with more than 25 runics because Frost Strike is your hardest hitting ability with the exception to maybe Oblit.

Just a recap, Try and keep that Icy Talon up time a little higher, sometimes where your Rime procs Expired, More Obliteration casts, Always stay below 2 runes, and try and use FS a little more you could have gotten a good amount more probably between 5-10, you don't need to pool runic to ensure you will keep icytalon up you only need to have 25 to keep it up so staying above 25 can sometimes prove to be a dps loss if you end the fight with that much extra.

Edited by Drtain

@DrTain Thanks a lot for the reponse! You are correct noting that I am currently playing with GA, but I usually tend to play with Obliteration as I like the flow of it way more and also know it come up ahead in terms of raw boss damage. I was on GA due to the fact that we were doing Helya NHC earlier today. Thanks a lot for your tips and observations, some of them I didn't really notice when playing, but especially only using Obliteration thrice on Xavius just seems like a screw-up on my part. I will see that I update my interface a bit, I have recently been playing w/o my MagicRunes and don't have my Runes and RP in sight, which should be easily fixable.

On another note, do you think I should stick with Frost seeing that it seems to just be stronger going forward to Nighthold or might Unholy also be an option? I love playing Unholy and have had the best performances exclusively on UH. I also got the Bracers, which is a nice benefit.

Thanks for all the help!

Àtrocity

I'm sticking with unholy for now, I'll swap frost if they receive anymore buffs because the difference will be to large especially with the way blizz seems to be taking DPs for dks. I also am gearing up other toons honestly contemplating swapping idk I really don't wanna go frost not because i'm against it or what ever but the rotation to me is very simple, slow and over all not very fun, mainly due to the slow rotation it has. Unholys rotation has very little down time i find my self as frost just sitting there no runes and holding onto runic power until i can cast a FS to keep up the icytalons. As you can see my dps is pretty competitive with frost, while that is true I'm for sure being out dpsed by most frost dks who play the game at the same level as I do unholy. I'm sure unholy will receive buffs sooner or later though for sure just because it's how blizzard normally handles things.

• Like 1

So mastery over versatility now? See this is interesting to me, because I've been comparing my logs to others and notice that usually people higher than me have less versatility and more mastery, but when I sim my character it puts mastery at the bottom and versatility higher up... It's kind of confusing 

Edited by Andell