Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drumsmani

n00b question about healing in LFR

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

My shaman is my first toon in WoW and I have only been playing for a few months now. I have about iLVL 489 equipped mainly playing as elemental. I was considering playing as resto shaman after reforging some of the stats (mainly to get more spirit/mastery from my elemental gear) until I get better Resto gear. I have a question about healing responsibilities in LFR.

I see most guides talk about healing responsibilities being assigned by the raid leader (tank / single target healing, raid healing etc.). I don't see any such communication happening (at least not in general / instance chat) during LFRs. In these cases, what is the assumed healer responsibility? Do I just try to concentrate on the people in my particular group or should I be looking out at all 25 nameplates and make split second decisions on whom to heal (and hope the other healers picked someone else)?

From my experience, its all about knowing when to pop your big heals/cd's (when the dmg is coming in).

Other than that, AoE heal, healing rain on more than 4 people who are likely to take dmg (area where the tank(s) and melee are), chain heal when there is healing to do (don't forget to chain heal your riptided player for the 25% bonus heal).

Riptide and Earth Shield kept on the tank (pick one but if you have a druid or shammy in the raid ask them which tank they are focusing on and you do the other).

Communication is always void in LFR ... not saying this should be the case but do your best to heal who needs it.

With the dmg in lfr its mainly AoE healing with some tank healing splashed in there. Excellent place to get use to healing basics but nothing quite like normal healing in 10man.

You're right that most raids usually have a system for determining who heals what & when, but LFR has none of that. Heal whoever you think needs healing. That's about it :)

Thanks for the responses. Sounds relatively easily enough to start with and at least get used to the correct usage of spells and CDs. Now, if I can grow a thick enough skin to ignore all the rage in LFR ...

Been healing LFR for a while now whilst my guild gears up to full raiding. I use a Pala, a Druid and a priest and currently levelling a Shaman as resto just to get a feel of which healer I prefer. I would have to agree with Stoove above, LFR seems pretty rough and ready as far as healing is concerned.

I would however say that you should spend about a third or half of your time/mana on the tanks. In LFR once a tank goes down it can all go Pete Tong really quickly as most LFR peeps forget how to combat rez

As for the rage, let it wash over you, as a healer you are a god and should be treated as such lol. Plus, it gets to the point where reading some of the 'angry children’s' comments can be quite comical and therefore therapeutic Posted Image

Edited by Cashmere

I would however say that you should spend about a third or half of your time/mana on the tanks. In LFR once a tank goes down it can all go Pete Tong really quickly as most LFR peeps forget how to combat rez

I tend to spend much less time on the tanks, but again it's what you feel comfortable with. I tend to route a lot of Chain Heals through the tanks :)

(also that's very small writing. Eyestrain!)

1 person likes this

Do I just try to concentrate on the people in my particular group or should I be looking out at all 25 nameplates and make split second decisions on whom to heal (and hope the other healers picked someone else)?

Yeah, find a good healing addon that lets you see the HP-bars easily. Healbot, Vudu, Grid, etc. LFR is just about spamming enough, in organized raiding you will get assignments and your healers will set up rotation on cooldowns. In LFR, just spam what you got.

1) Keep ES and Riptide on the tanks.

2) Keep Healing Stream Totem up (it will be in your top 3-4 heals)

3) Cast Unleash+HR where there are group of people.

4) When you see somebody low throw Riptide on them and cast Chain Heal off it

5) Rotate your cooldowns with HTT and SLT+Ascendance.

6) Throw a Greater Healing Wave on the tank when you see them dipping.

1 person likes this

As a Shaman in any 25-man setting, Unleash Elements + Healing Rain will be your bestest friend ever. And please, please, please go for high Crit rather than high Mastery.

LFR as a shaman healer especially when you really geared, will be all about healing rain and chain heal spamming. with your HST down on cd and use HTT when needed you will essentially keep the raid up without much effort. For LFR you will also have a ton of overhealing but its only LFR...

DO not fret about healing in LFR just pretty much use your best AOE heals and see the numbers fly lol.