FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kazistrasz

Gemming Secondary?

So, as much as I like to think myself a good warlock, I've been doing a lot more reading over the last few days, and I've noticed something:

Every resource, website, etc. recommends gemming for Int, but a lot of the warlocks I've been looking at are gemmed for either haste or mastery (at least as demonology). Yet, despite this, I've even noticed many of these warlocks on here saying that secondary stats aren't big enough to worry about.

Is this something you only start doing at heroic gear level, or is there just something I'm not getting about it? Most of the ones I'm seeing aren't sitting right at a particular haste threshold or anything, they're just gemmed into secondary stats.

Please clarify?

Sincerely,

A Confused Little Warlock

When referring to the fact that secondary stats aren't a huge deal, we're generally referring to the relationship between haste and mastery. Yes, secondary stats are a huge part of your DPS. If they vanished your DPS would tank, but the amount you put into haste or mastery is less impactful.

• Like 1

Okay, so you just mean worrying about which you stack over the other is less significant.

Still, is gemming yellow over red usually something you wait until heroic level gear to do, or is it something you should be doing even at a normal mode ilvl (522)?

I'd start at normal mode, yeah. That's when I did anyway, but I've never really been a hardcore min/maxer. I just do what gets me results.

• Like 1

Okay, thanks. I am as is anyway, but because it gets me the 25% threshold for haste and scale factors told me it haste was worth a ton until I that anyway. Perhaps the main guide should reflect that? I feel like I've learned more from reading around these forums over the last two days than I've learned since coming back to MoP.

Yeah these forums are great. Posted Image They certainly helped me out!

Now I have like..... 8 leather bound books.

Edited by Omaric

Most guides push Intellect because it is good for all specs and doesn't spark debates. The Demonology guide is for how to play it which makes up 90-95% of your DPS. Gemming is the other 5-10% and at lower item levels, Intellect plays out better, but secondary gems are worth more than primary, so they win out.

Thanks for your catch on the guide. I added the gems to get rid of any confusion.