Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

CD usage?

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys :)

I've recently lvl'ed my resto shaman to 90, and is in the process of gearing him up. Normally I raid on my druid (which is also restoration) and I'm looking for a little change up.

So far I'm really enjoying shammy healing, it's fun, fast paced, and totally different than how I play my druid.

The reason I'm making this topic is to ask for advice on how to manage all the great cooldowns I've got as a Resto shaman.

With talents, I've got Ascendance, HTT, SLT, Elemental Mastery and Primal Elementalist.

Beyond HTT (which is very similar to Tranq), I'm having trouble figuring out when to use these.

Right now I've macro Ascendance and Elemental Mastery. This gives me a lot of burst AoE healing, when I pop it. However it drains mana like crazy (haven't got much spirit yet) and I'm not really sure which spells to cast during the duration of the cooldown. Should I just spam GHW or HW, how about RT?

With glyph I can keep pretty good uptime on my elemental's 10% buff, during a fight. Are there any finess to using these, or should I just pop them at the first sign of difficulty? It's not a huge buff, but it's long lasting (even with glyph), which has got me confused as to when to use these.

Also, should I start out with the earth elemental, since it's got the longer cooldown?

Last on the list is SLT. I'm really having trouble with when to use this.

It seems very powerful, but so far I've only really used it to spread out cleave damage when people are not stacking correctly on fights like Blade Lord or Spirit Kings. Rarely I have used it to save a tank, but often the melee group are just a little bit too far away for this to work.

What do you guys use this for?

At the moment I'm still gearing up and doing LFRs, but I'm planing to get some serious raiding done on my shaman, and I would like to be prepared to use my CDs as effectively as possible.

I would be thankful if you guys could share some insights.

If you need it here's my armory

I'm most likely logged out in elemantal spec, since I use it for questing, but the gear is identical and you should be able to see the talents anyhow. Note that I haven't reforged, gemmed or enchanted yet, since it seems like a waste of gold before I can even get into ToT lfr.

I hope you can help me out, cheers guys :)

if theres ever a big damage spike where the raid can stack, SLT and ascendance go together really well. if youre not in a fight like that, SLT has a 10% damage reduction, so thats at least something.

for ascendance, if you have a couple riptides out cast healing rain where it will hit the most people you can and then ascend. immediately after you ascend pop your healing stream and you can just sit and let those things do your healing for you and save your mana.

one thing to remember about the fire primal is that he does 30k+ dps, so if you can spare the healing cd just flame shock what you want him to burn right after you throw him down.

Edited by kitsu

Some tips in response to your questions:

• Ascendance can be INSANE. The optimal rotation for throughput is Riptide, Healing Rain (precast and buffed by Unleash Elements), Ascendance, Chain Heal x4, recast Healing Rain (esp. with EM up) and Chain Heal your nuts off again.
  • That rotation can be quite mana consuming, so you could do Healing Rain precast, Ascendance, Chain Heal (glyphed), then fill with your regular Riptide/Healing Wave rotation. This is also a decent rotation for when your raid isn't stacked.
  • Popping Spiritwalker's Grace simultaneously with Ascendance can help you get the best out of it, especially if there's a chance that you have to move.
  • Ascendance won't copy Healing Stream Totem's healing, since it's not "yours".
  • It's usually optimal to pop Spirit Link Totem when you're stacked and using Healing Tide Totem OR Ascendance OR Ancestral Guidance
  • SLT is one of those buttons you REALLY want keybound; in fights where I struggle to find a regular use for it, I often can save someone I happen to be close to by fast reflexes!
  • Your Primal Elementals are very versatile, so don't restrict yourself to JUST using them for healing throughput. I tend to find that I can identify a few points in each fight where an extra throughput cooldown would be useful but all the major ones are on cooldown. This is when Primal Elementals can really come into play. An example: we have several Quake Stomps on Tortos that none of the healers can really get with a cooldown, so I use my elemental about 15s before to top everyone, then to facilitate stabilizing the raid afterwards. Really, they're most useful when you can analyse when you're having trouble on progression and use them cleverly. It's something that's difficult to teach!
The key to using most of your cooldowns is good planning - plan when to use them and just do it. It's known as "raid cooldown choreography" :)

Hope that helps! :)

PS: Nice to see you're using the macro I suggested for the ToT Resto Shaman Style thread =D

Thank you very much, guys! This was just the kind of stuff I was looking for.

It suprised me a little to hear that combining SLT with another cooldown is the way to go.

I certainly see the benefit of doing so, but effectively it means we have one less cooldown than it would seem.

Is it preferred to use it with either HTT or Ascendance? According to your article it would seem that HTT needs the support more than Ascendance. Is that correctly understood?

Regarding spell usage during Ascendance: Stoove suggest spamming chain heal if mana is available.

I take it you don't use the glyph then? Or do you change it from a fight to fight basis?

Thanks to the both of you for your pointers on the elementals, I hadn't even considered using them for dps :P

I do strive to plan my cooldown usage before hand. I'm sort of a leader on our healing team, so I'm used to coordinating both my own and my fellow healers' CDs. However we've never had a shaman on the team, so I have zero experience with the class (beyond lfr).

Hence my questions :)

Btw, are there any specific healer combination that shamans fit especially well with? I'll most likely be raiding with a paladin and a holy priest/resto druid. I wouldn't think it matters much, but maybe you guys know differently?

I really appreciate the pieces of advice from both of you. Thanks alot!

p.s. Hey; "you say jump, I say how high?" You really are becoming a valuable resource to all things healing on this board. Keep up he good work, mate :)

You're absolutely welcome!

The real benefit to SLT in conjunction with other cooldowns is that it will smooth the healing you do across all players. As tanks keep muttering, smoothness is key to survival. Which you use it with depends on the fight - I prefer to use it with Ascendance where possible because it reduces overhealing. If you're in a nice stacked situation, though, use Ancestral guidance instead of HTT - then you really won't be so worried about smoothing so you can save SLT for Ascendance anyway. The reason that SLT + HTT is attractive is due to the big chunks of healing that HTT deals compared to the even spread of Ascendance.

On many fight, especially spread out ones, I tend to reserve SLT for situational use.

Ascendance is really optimal when you can get your entire raid stacked. In this case, it's better not to use the glyph of Chain Heal. In many fight, though, and especially in 10man, you'll want to use the glyph because stacking isn't common. I prefer using the glyph as a default. I swap it out for Megaera, Iron Qon, and some others.

I heal with a Druid and a Paladin (occasionally a Priest). It's nice, but they tend to beat me to a lot of the healing. I find that I prefer healing with no absorb classes where possible, simply because they don't really mesh with our Mastery mechanic. It's a small bugbear though.

Blizzard's latest blue posts seem to suggest that they want shaman to always be a sort of niche healer. incredible burst and the ability to fill lifebars back up when they are low complement disc & paladin extremely well. you can fight and gear and smash your fist against every wall you come by to top meters when really, if you want to beat them on healing done, you just have to push their heals into overheals. its not necessary to top meters to be useful. if there are several points in teh fight where a shaman is the difference between life and death, that's why they are there.

its actually a pretty fun mechanic. almost every fight in tot is on the edge between 2 heal and 3 during progression. it lets there be a lot more options for raid comp and can keep fights interesting as you redo content each week.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Narii625
      ABOUT US
      We are a very social guild LFM for progression/semi-casual raiding and leveling. 
      When we say "semi-casual," we mean that we raid two days for three hours, can laugh about a wipe but are still serious about progression. We plan to do Normal raids (not for long) before going on to Heroic and Mythic.
      New players and all levels welcomed. We are VERY new player and new role friendly and have a few new players in the raid group already. We will work with you and get you trained up. So don't worry! 
      We do have some PvPers and an experienced RBG leader so PvP isn't out of the question.
      We're almost always on Discord and we joke around a lot. Some jokes aren't appropriate so keep that in mind. (Recommended 18+)
      Currently we are using the EPGP system ( The addon EPGP (DKP Reloaded), EPGP Lootmaster, DBM, and GTFO are required to be downloaded and kept up-to-date on raid nights.
      Fridays & Sundays 8pm - 11pm PST. (10pm - 1am Server Time.) NOTE: Flasks, foods, potions, and enchants will be provided for raiders on a first-come first-serve basis. People who contribute to the guild bank will also have preference. Guild repairs provided on raid nights. Trials will be provided with the aforementioned items if we can spare them after the main raiders. CURRENT PROGRESSION
      Emerald Nightmare, [7/7N] [3/7H] OTHER EVENTS
      Saturday is for Mythics/other events. Though we do stuff throughout the week. Most of us have work or school so it depends. We have an event coming up on 10/25 (Saturday) for the release of patch 7.1 Return to Karazhan! WHAT WE HAVE ROOM FOR**
      Shadow Priest Balance Druid Mage Elemental Shaman **In order of what we need the most!!
      If you are interested please fill out the application on our website!
      In-Game Name: Sylarii, ID: Narii#1891
    • By Fastidious
      Greetings fellow Travelers!   The Dungeon Crawler Network (DCN) has spread its footprint back into the World of Warcraft with this fantastic expansion, Legion.  We appreciate the DNA of The Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King present, and are overcome with passion to play the game at the level which we used to.   We are involved in a multitude of MMOs, JRPGs, ARPGs, and the like. If it involves grinding through dungeons to get gear, reputation, and slay internet dragons, we are involved. Our roots are in the Elder Scrolls, and then the Elder Scrolls Online. You may have heard some of our podcasts, "Tales of Tamriel", "Chocobo Raiders", "Tavern Talk", or the "Midnight Hour" on iTunes in which we the guild, discuss multiple topics to include game development, theory crafting, lore, end-game raiding or PvP content, and even interviews with game developers or other prominent community members. Our leadership facilitates positive in and out-of-game experiences, and everything they and we do is part and parcel to that. We appreciate the games the developers give us, and the guild is the symbol of our many appreciations of that. Our leadership is versed in end-game PvE and PvP content ranging from EQ, Planetside, Eve, ESO, FFXIV, and of course, World of Warcraft.   Our primary objectives at this time for the Wings of Fate are as follows:   -Community development. The <Wings of Fate> are not just a WoW guild, but a community of mature gamers that play games across the full spectrum of genres from MMOs to ARPGs. This is accomplished through the use of Discord, getting to know your team mates, and being an adult in every aspect of gameplay and personal conduct.   -Enjoyment of World of Warcraft and enhancing the player experience, without sacrificing performance. What this means is that while our top priority is to have a good time and cut up, we don't waste time on bosses or bang our heads against a wall if composition/performance isn't up to snuff - we decisively address these issues.   -Establishing additional Mythic+ groups capable of M 7+ (M+5 is about the starting point, but we can help get you there if you aren't already!)   -Finishing current heroic raid content and moving to Mythic raiding if natural guild population growth and performance are conducive, continued farming of M 5+, Karazhan, Trial of Valor, and then the Nighthold!   -Establishing the <Wings of Fate> PvP footprint and what it looks like. We have a guild PvP officer who is in the process of developing PvP events structured around what the guild members want, and other guild activities. At this time we participate primarily in casual PvP events but the intent is to do rated content once the PvP footprint is established.   Guild events are as follows:   -Mythic+ Dungeons daily during the evenings (Currently 7+)   -Raids are Friday and Saturday nights from 8:30pm-11:30pm EST - we often go a bit later in order to finish a raid clear or if we are close to completion on a progression fight Optional raid night for "farm content clearing" is Wednesday, 9-11pm EST.   -PvP Nights are currently Thursdays, from 9pm EST - 11pm EST - additional nights will be implemented by our PvP officer once he ascertains from guild members what nights are best and what doesn't interfere with other guild events.   Now let's talk about what we're looking for and what we offer YOU. We are looking for community members who are here for more than just enjoying the World of Warcraft, but appreciate theory crafting, game discussion, upcoming developments, lore, and game mechanics. We are a community of gamers interested in a variety of games - Joining <Wings of Fate> is more than just joining a WoW guild, you're joining a family and established community.   What we offer you:   -A dedicated discord server that is constantly populated with members of the community, guild leadership, and everything in between. We talk upcoming games we're hyped about, raid mechanics, and everything already previously discussed. It's a fun place.   -Guild leadership that understands the importance of progression, and understands constraints/limitations. A prime reason for us establishing Mythic dungeon-only groups. We've identified while a lot of people will want to raid, just not everyone has the time to dedicate to it.   -An established and positive community. Many of us came to DCN for other games as WoW-WoD wasn't something many of us were interested in. Legion is changing that. We have many folks already participating in guild strategy development for upcoming content releases- and there's always people around on Discord getting involved with other games and discussions.   -Podcasts! As mentioned before we are involved in a multitude of other MMORPGs, and we participate in community building in a big way. It's only a matter of time before we dig deeper into what Legion will be offering us!   What we're looking for:   -Active players interested in end-game progression - but not bleeding edge. We are always pushing the football down the field, but if you're looking for a guild that is raiding three to five nights a week to defeat cutting-edge content, we aren't it. At least for now anyway.   -Players interested in the understanding and discussion of player/game mechanics. This one is huge. Know your class, and if you aren't quite there yet, don't be afraid to ask for help or guidance! DCN is populated with some incredibly knowledgeable MMORPG players and we can't facilitate progression without developing our knowledge of in-game mechanics.   -Positive, mature, and goal-oriented players. Progression can get annoying, and wiping forty or fifty times for one reason or another can really get to someone. It's a part of progression. Maturity is a must-have, we are an 18+ guild. No, that doesn't mean we can't sniff out a 30 year-old child either. Criticism can feel harsh, but we only do it to improve our guild performance as a whole. This is a two-way street.   Thanks for taking the time to read this post!   Feel free to contact me in-game @ Fastidious#1897 , and stop by the DCN Website @ to check out some of our Podcasts or get a better idea of what this organization is all about! -Steven "Fastidious"
    • By SharWinchester
      Hi everyone. Im currently playing enhancement shaman and I love the playstyle but usually when im in a dungeon I cant do as much damage as the others. For example my friend is playing a frost mage and he is doing 5 times my damage. He has heirlooms tho. There are some guys doing 15/20 k dps and im doing 1.5 at max. Im level 70 and I think im following my stats right. Im also trying to do my rotation right and I dont think thats the problem. There is my armory link: . Should I worry about my damage or its normal for this level and gear? :) 
    • By Semifreddo
      Raiding guild looking for more raiders! We have a particular need of ranged DPS and a healer or two. Melee DPS are more than welcome if they have a tank off-specc. That helps with Mythic+ runs, if we have several tanks and groups going at the same time.

Progression: 7/7N, 1/7H

Raid Schedule: 20:00 Saturday and Sunday Server Time

Communication: Discord Channel

Interest: Message me on (Semifreddo#2224), or respond to this post with what class and specc you play.
    • By Sappora
      H-Bleeding Hollow

Methodical is a Horde guild on the realm Bleeding Hollow we are currently in the process of rebuilding our raid core, and are in need of players to replace some trials that were cut. We are recruiting ALL exceptional players new, or returning, for moving towards mythics. We are seeking smart players who know how to play their class well and have no problem learning new mechanics quickly.

Raid Progression: 1/7 M EN
      Raid Dates: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday.
      Raid Times: 9:30P-12:30A EST (Be online by 9:15P)

About us:
      We are comprised of long term raiders who have raided multiple expansions at a high level.
      Most of us have played together for many years.
      We try to be on a first name basis with our raiders.
      We raid to have fun with our friends but also to push progression.
      Semi-Hardcore raiding guild whose goal is to get Cutting Edge each tier.

Who we are looking for:
      People who get excited about raiding every raid night.
      People we can rely on (attendance,effort,communication,dedication).
      People who who are looking for a fun raiding environment.
      People who understand what progression is all about.
      People who engage in the guild (socially, and as an integral part of the team).

We are currently looking for non-leather RDPS.

Requirements from you:
      Be able to make our times with 90% attendance (we understand certain real life situations occasionally come up)
      Know your class to the best of your ability and be able to take criticism from other players on how to improve your class. Also go through logs and see what you are doing wrong so you can play at your full potential.
      Execute mechanics in a logical sense. You do no DPS/HPS while you're dead. Standing in fire does not give you buffs.

If interested please contact one of the players listed below we can give information about: Bleeding Hollow, Methodical, and the general vibe of raids. 

Contact Info:
      Merkshow#1993 (GM)
      Sappora#1724 (Recruitment)
      Franny#1457 (Officer)
      Borlax#1380 (Officer)