FORUMS
Damien

Dragon Priest Standard

4 hours ago, Guest Heart of dragon said:

Can we get to see gameplay in ranked?

I will be gunning this exact 30 for an indefinite amount of time today, and then maybe the next couple of days as well. No recordings as I am a filthy mobile peasant, so friend me on EU to spectate some unicorn goodness.

15 hours ago, Guest Heart of dragon said:

Can we get to see gameplay in ranked?

A decent way to see if you can get a viewing of this is to try catch Sottle when he streams over on Twitch. He's normally incredibly receptive to questions and is super helpful!

7-0 so far with this draconic beauty. Granted this was only at rank 16-12 but it feels very strong atm.

Crushing those facewarrior dreams by dropping 2 taunts the turn they expected their lethal to connect with my face won't grow old any time soon.

• Like 1

I was on a relatively safe cruise to rank 10 yesterday, before Pirate Warriors started to connect with my beautiful face. I'm not sure if I can call this matchup actually positive, because my games were over around turn 2 most of the time.

Talk me through Kabal Songstealer. I'm not sure why it's in the deck, because I have never actually used it for any good over a 40-games sample. I don't think Silence because any better on paper with Mean Streets, especially around 5 mana mark.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paracel said:

I was on a relatively safe cruise to rank 10 yesterday, before Pirate Warriors started to connect with my beautiful face. I'm not sure if I can call this matchup actually positive, because my games were over around turn 2 most of the time.

Talk me through Kabal Songstealer. I'm not sure why it's in the deck, because I have never actually used it for any good over a 40-games sample. I don't think Silence because any better on paper with Mean Streets, especially around 5 mana mark.

Let me know when you find an actual use for Kabal Songstealer as I already replaced it for  a 2nd Book Wyrm in my list.

51 minutes ago, Paracel said:

Try adding two Defender of Argus. They save your butt a lot of times, especially when paired with Kabal Talonpriest. Worked well for me at least.

Edited by CodeRazor
typo

Guest Feelin' Fine

I'm having trouble.  Other decks, especially jade decks, seem to gain board control quicker than I can.  Or a Mage deck that just faces me with spell dmg.  Literally 0-4 tonight. :/

3 hours ago, Guest Feelin' Fine said:

I'm having trouble.  Other decks, especially jade decks, seem to gain board control quicker than I can.  Or a Mage deck that just faces me with spell dmg.  Literally 0-4 tonight. :/

Could you please upload a replay? This will help us improve the guide by adding additional information on how to deal with these decks, and we could point out your misplays, if there are any.

Guest Max

I'm running an experimental Dragon Priest deck with no Clerics, and I've included Inner Fire in there that has been done a lot of work, since there's a ton of good targets for it in a Priest deck... Netherspite Historian, Wyrmrest Agent, Blackwing Technician, Twilight Guardian, Book Wyrm,...  and also as a neat finisher/reacher combo with Ysera (even better with the addition of a +5/+5 Nightmare that she might drop, or Ysera Awakens).
Specially if a minion was already buffed before by Kabal Talonpriest.
Since low mana Priest related minions aren't that strong in attack, using Inner Fire on them is not only a good resource to either panic clean a threat in early game (specially when you only have an Historian/Agent/Technician on the board), but also to raise value of an already good Book Wyrm, to maybe clean a 5~6 hp minion in mid-late game. The Ysera combo, if she survives 1 turn, also gives a big reach when there's an opportunity to finish/rush the opponent, and giving him much less chance to recover... and can help set up a quick kill if you have a spell provided earlier by a Drakonid Operative (like a Fireball). 

It also can help start a rushing down of the opponent's HP when facing decks like Jade Druid. Usually you can trade in the early game, and in mid game you can start rushing before it escalates the Jades too much. Use a Book Wyrm to clean the 3-6 taunt Jade and then Inner Fire it next turn, + more minions on board, and start going face with it, or buff+heal it to control the board. At this point the Druid might not have much cards in hand anyway, so you can focus on smorc, while using a Shadow Death or Entomb on an Ancient of War or something that he might play. Or DragonFire Potion to AoE some Jades.

No idea if it's any good for a competitive scenario, but it's been a useful card to get more value out of the typical low attack / high HP cards of a Dragon deck. And opponents actually don't expect it, so they might not immediately tackle your low attack board minions, since they aren't a big threat and are harder to kill, which you then can use to your advantage.

8 hours ago, positiv2 said:

Could you please upload a replay? This will help us improve the guide by adding additional information on how to deal with these decks, and we could point out your misplays, if there are any.

How does one upload a replay? Also I really like the deck, and it works well in casual. I've always liked priest thru thick and thin and am glad I can actually play a dragon deck now with new expansion.

I think these guides while good overall might be lacking in the lower ranks where I am at. At higher levels meta decks are pretty consistent but at lower levels I find random decks and plays kind of screwing me.

I also think I need better decision making around turns five and six. The deck has so many 5 drops I think sometimes I am choosing the wrong thing for the situation.

45 minutes ago, FeelinFine said:

How does one upload a replay? Also I really like the deck, and it works well in casual. I've always liked priest thru thick and thin and am glad I can actually play a dragon deck now with new expansion.

I think these guides while good overall might be lacking in the lower ranks where I am at. At higher levels meta decks are pretty consistent but at lower levels I find random decks and plays kind of screwing me.

I also think I need better decision making around turns five and six. The deck has so many 5 drops I think sometimes I am choosing the wrong thing for the situation.

You could use HearthStone Deck Tracker (which offers a lot of other possibilities and is my personal recommendation) or plays.tv (especially if you already have AMD Gaming Evolved or Raptr) and link us the replay. 

Remove silencing minion add Rag the Firelord. Works for me. Rag saved my ass a few times. I can also see about adding Inner Fire. I get Twilight Guardian up to 11 plus hp   would be a nice to make that lethal damage also  

hey guys,this question is really about dragon decks in general:Why twilight guardian over twilight drake?usually i have a decent hand on turn 4,enough to make a 4/8 or better,plus it combos great with brann and is immune to other priests.

Guest Blatter

The lack of AoE makes it a guaranteed loss agains shammies and so. I suggest to add at least one Holy Nova.

4 hours ago, Guest Blatter said:

The lack of AoE makes it a guaranteed loss agains shammies and so. I suggest to add at least one Holy Nova.

What about the 2x Dragonfire Potion?

• Like 1

One can say double Dragon is sometimes not enough. I don't see why cutting Kabal Songstealer - The Silence Guy - for a copy of Holy Nova to be a backup card and go well with your board and Northshire Clerics is that bad of an idea.

Guest nerdier

I'd replace the songstealer with another priest of the feast because there are so many face warriors.

10 hours ago, TheEviscerator said:

hey guys,this question is really about dragon decks in general:Why twilight guardian over twilight drake?usually i have a decent hand on turn 4,enough to make a 4/8 or better,plus it combos great with brann and is immune to other priests.

Twilight Guardian has taunt and is not as bad in the late-game as Twilight Drake

Guest Blatter
16 hours ago, Allegro said:

What about the 2x Dragonfire Potion?

Could also be good. In any case, the deck needs more AoE. Since the few taunt-dragons simply cannot stop agressive decks like pirate warriors, shammies and locks.

Guest Butcher

Not really succesful so far. I find myself often at turn 5-6 with my hand full of "if you're holding a dragon" cards, without having any dragon.

8 hours ago, Guest Blatter said:

Could also be good. In any case, the deck needs more AoE. Since the few taunt-dragons simply cannot stop agressive decks like pirate warriors, shammies and locks.

This deck already runs 2 Dragonfire Potions. If you really feel like you need more AoE, play Doomsayers.

3 hours ago, Guest Butcher said:

Not really succesful so far. I find myself often at turn 5-6 with my hand full of "if you're holding a dragon" cards, without having any dragon.

Which is why mulligan is really important in this deck. Could you please upload a few replays (or screenshots) of your mulligan?

4 hours ago, Guest Butcher said:

When I play dragon priest, I'll keep a dragon in my initial hand if possible, even if its high mana and not playable right away.  Better to have something to activate those cards as they come along

• Like 1

Guest HolySloth

I don't have access to BRM so is there a solid replacement for black wing corrupter