FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vladamyr

Guild Website

Our current guild website (US) is in total disarray and i'm wanting to fix it with a complete redo. Would love some suggestions for Website Hosting. I have almost no website creation experience and want something relatively easy to figure out (though I am a technical person by nature).

Thanks,

guildwork is pretty easy to customize. cheap at 9.99 per month plus you get free* mumble with it. I say free because that feels like what the membership fees are for. dude who runs it is also highly available and fixes things instantly. i used it when i ran my 10 man.

• Like 1

If you want something far more customize-able than average guild hosting sites, but with a slightly steeper learning curve try out Wordpress. You can find hosting for as little as $3/mo. Out of the box wordpress is a blog, but there is a huge opensource and paid community for modules to add users, forums, photo galleries, and just about anything else imaginable to your site. Modules are pretty easy to install and are mostly handled through an App store sort of interface. You can also download themes, or create your own if you have any guild members that know their way around CSS.

I've made a couple guild websites before with Wordpress. It takes a few hours to get one designed instead of minutes picking a template on other sites. but you get far more control over every aspect of your site when you're done.

Edited by Storm
  • Like 2

I use Shivtr. It lets me do most of everything I want to do, and it's free (if you're looking for an option you don't have to pay for). You may not get your own custom URL (i.e. yourguild.com instead of yourguild.shivtr.com), and it does place a banner ad on the page, but I find there's enough there that I like if you're not the most webdesign savvy.

My guild uses Enjin.com but if you're interested in truly maintaining your own and think you're capable of it I would go  with https://www.phpbb.com/ . It seems like it'd be simply enough and there are tons  of modules as well as Warcraft and other games' themes other people have made that you can tweak to suit your own tastes. This might be more work to set up from the get-go but I would imagine that it would be cheaper in the long run plus you have the bonus of  taking your hosting anywhere, say if you want better privacy/security or simply want to use a  more "green" server.  ;)