FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Andell

Help understanding Sims

So I'm having trouble understanding how sim stat weights work. Let's say I have 20% haste, and versatility is simming to be more valuable than haste for me. If I then get a piece of gear with the same stats otherwise but versatility instead of haste, does this mean I should equip that instead and go UNDER 20% haste? 

2 hours ago, Andell said:

So I'm having trouble understanding how sim stat weights work. Let's say I have 20% haste, and versatility is simming to be more valuable than haste for me. If I then get a piece of gear with the same stats otherwise but versatility instead of haste, does this mean I should equip that instead and go UNDER 20% haste? 

Not necessarily.  The way I think of it, simming is a snapshot of the state of your character *right now*. What it is really telling you is if you gear stays the *exact same*, and you want to increase your dps, in your case, your most value would be in increasing versatility *without* reducing any other stat, like haste.

Now, this is impractical for almost all situations because by gaining something with a new piece of gear you lose something else.

The only things you can do is swap other gear in and out, to hopefully make up for the loss, and re-sim and again....and again.

The idea is, lets say you get a piece with a socket and you haven't gemmed it but already simmed it lets says vers in that case is best according to sims, put in a vers gem.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drtain said:

The idea is, lets say you get a piece with a socket and you haven't gemmed it but already simmed it lets says vers in that case is best according to sims, put in a vers gem.

Exactly.  Problem is, from what Ive seen from frost at least, weights are always changing. So say for example, you get another piece that adds even more verse, its value as a gem potentially could go down. Thats a problem. But what else can you do?

-my own personal strategy is that I've bought a variety of crafted rings and kept other ring drops with different stat combinations as well as some stat stick trinkets.  I gem the crated piece to boost its best secondary, whatever it may be, so that way, if i get another gear piece I can test different stat combos with rings. Of course my gear ilvl allows me to use crafted pieces, if you get too high crafteds wont work unless they raise the ilvl again.

@Sniz Yeah when i look at my bags I have over 20 pieces of gear in it all around similar ilvl to equip slot just to swap pieces in and out when needed. My rings I have on are only 865 but I have 2 875 with sockets in bag just in case even though they aren't great stat wise, in 'theory'.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Exploit
      Hi everyone,
      I, like many others, are trying to maximize DPS for their respective classes, mine in particular being ret paladin.
      In general, it seems like there are several sources of information for dps for each class.
      Icy Veins Mr Robot Raidbots (Simulation Craft) Warcraft Logs Each with its own set of criteria as to what determines high dps. And I find inconsistency when bouncing between the different sources. I want to understand what am I missing when it comes to each. I will lay out what I currently understand, and would like some feedback as to what I may not be considering in each as well as some advice as to what other options I could be exploring (resources) to further the insight into whats applicable for my current state.
      Icy Veins
      For Icy Veins, in particular, the stat weights, are mostly vaguely determined. From the ret guide:

If I am reading this right, its Mastery >= Haste > Ver >= Crit = Str
      Mr Robot
      I use the addOn and I subscribe for the Best In Bags function. When I plug in my information in, the site recommends that I go with my 2pce t20 and balance around my legendaries with a focus on haste pieces (haste gems are emphasized).
      https://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/simulator/report/a42136294c7f40b2b7ee78023306d786
      Stat weights as listed in MrRobot:
      MrRobot Stat Weights
      From what I am seeing, Crit is most emphasized, and the one crit gem + ring crit enchants were originally recommended by MrRobot here. Also another notable thing here is haste being way behind crit's potential.
      RaidBots (Simc)
      For RaidBots, I use the addOn, and play around with various items I hoard, and use the stat weights functions. Generally the feedback I get here are to stick with the current gem setup and with regards to stat weights, emphasize at my current setup with crit. It also says I should drop some of my high ilvl pieces (935 head, and 960 chest) for 4pce (915 head, lfr 890 chest)
      Gear simc:
      https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/d3Qbkf6nqpoP4bxQ9YB2m
      Stat Weights:
      https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/6NkVYwEaTW26FxD4wBwey4
      Vers -> crit -> mastery -> haste -> str
      (versitality first?)
      Warcraft Logs
      I mostly use Warcraft Logs to check what the top dps players (ret pallys) are hitting and what setups are they running. I don't want to specifically link player armories in here, but upon some investigation, you'll find most are just stacking haste
      ---
      I understand stat weights are relative, however it seems like everyone has different priorities, one says mastery, another vers, another crit, another haste?
      Help me understand.
      Thanks,
      Exploit

• By Mute
      Seems like fire mages are pretty fucked. I know not to trust sims 100%, but WHAT happened?

https://www.simulationcraft.org/reports/Raid_T19H.html

The guides are also updated and they still see Fire as top, so I don't know what to think right now. And looking at the patch notes I see why Frost is top with all the damage increases.
    • By Vaellian
      Ok. so. on both Icy-veins and Simulationcraft the stat priority is both listed as Mastery>Strength>Vers... and on the BiS page it even states 1.33>1.0>.89  respectively for weights

i'm okay with this. i've actually been using this weight since 105 when gearing up. but i'm missing something and i can't figure it out. When i run simcraft on my 840 ilvl warrior, i'm getting 300k dps, which i'm fine with. however it's telling me that my stat priority is Haste>Mastery>Str.

I even replaced my trinkets with the BiS damage Proc trinkets thinking maybe they get effected by colossus smash and thus would increase it's effectiveness. no such luck, vers  is as low as .79 and haste and mastery are both above 1.0 i'm basically going through simcraft replacing all my Gear with the gear on simulation crafts official numbers and i'm still getting haste>mastery. so far there's nothing that's coming forward that makes haste worse than versatility even

i'd like to know what i'm missing if anything, or if you guys would mind fact-checking the stat priorities page. but considering both Simcraft and you guys have one answer and i'm the odd one out. i'm sure it's me thats missing something
    • By Amathor
      Ok SO..
      Everyone i've heard so far.. "2H Frost way out-preforms DW Frost for DPS"
      Majority of this information is gathered from SIMS, however i've seen many DK's in game try both with those results..
      HOWEVER.
      Everyone assumes, because Threat of Thassarian increases Frost Strike damage by 40%
      "When dual-wielding, your Death Strikes, Obliterates, Plague Strikes, and Frost Strikes also deal damage with your off-hand weapon, and your Frost Strike damage is increased by 40%."
      that DW Frost will always favor Mastery>Haste almost point-for-point. (Meaning if you have a choice between 110mastery and 100haste you would always choose mastery.) BUT THIS IS NOT TRUE!
      I don't give a damn what the 'sims' say about DW frost dps. It preforms best at a 45-48% Haste soft-cap.
      I've tried reforging several ways as DW. the askmrrobot weights (leaves me around 34% haste at ilvl470) and the elitist jerks weights (leaves me around 30% haste at ilvl 470) and my way (leaves me at 45.5% haste at ilvl 470)
      and the DPS changes are VERY immense.
      EJ's: ~50k
      Robots:~53k
      My way:~64k
      The sims are usually based off the same (or close to) weights as either Robot or EJ. This is why 2H pulls ahead in sims, and, when a player tries dw to see, 2h still pulls ahead. Reason being at 45.5% haste you have a 9.1sec rune regen. at 40% you have a 9.65 and at 35% you have a 9.98sec rune regen.
      This .88 sec doesn't seem like alot, but it is. It's the diffrence between running into having to wait 9seconds for a rune to come up cuz ur RP drained and rune drained. and waiting about 2sec, and it also occures alot less often.
      Now, I completly agree ToT made FS pro-status for DW and makes Mastery ALOT more useful for us. However, I do not see why DW is dismissed so easily on the sims, without tweaking the stats around. Yes maste>haste pulls more dps then haste>mast on dw. but why havent they tried haste=45%>maste>haste ?
      Input please, i'd like to know what i'm missing here.
      (And for the record, i HAVE tried 2h frost, same Ilvl, reforged and gemmed appropriatly, and i still pull more as DW)
      I have yet to be out-dpsed by a 2h frost dk. they are close, but i'm still higher.
      ~Amathor <Zenith> -- Kil'Jaeden (Horde)
      DPS:
      Self-buffed Single Raid Dummy ~ 5min: 78k
      Self-buffed AoE Raid Dummy(3 dummies) ~5min: 89k
      10man reg Guardians: 77k
      10man reg Fen: 71k
      10 man reg Spiritbender: 69k