FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Creepzy

I would apreciate some pointers on choosing spec

Helo everyone on the warlock community.

I'm currently woking on my lock to help out our night raid that are raiding just once a week.

with that said we arent aiming for mythic.

is there a spec will net me ok result atleast meaning is there some that rly need those end tiers to be valid if so that would be a no go for me.

Destro is the more versatile and least gear dependant spec for warlock atm. Decent ST damage, great 2-3 target cleave, and good AoE.

On 2016-12-06 at 7:55 PM, Lockybalboa said:

Destro is the more versatile and least gear dependant spec for warlock atm. Decent ST damage, great 2-3 target cleave, and good AoE.

k thx for that, but i must say i kinda hoped for demo since i like it but yea destruction it is then.

If you prefer Demo, in my opinion, go for it. It is much more gear dependent but play what you enjoy. You will rock on ST DPS which can be important depending on raid set up.

I have to be awkward though and disagree that Destro has decent ST damage. It is pretty weak in my opinion (and especially without the belt). I played around on WCL at 50, 75 and 99 percentiles and the highest I saw it go on a ST fight was 4th from bottom at 99 percentile on a normal boss fight. Most of the time it was actually last. Though saying this I do find Destro overall to be the most versatile and useful for my raid group.

21 minutes ago, spikeysquad said:

I have to be awkward though and disagree that Destro has decent ST damage. 

I think it depends on what we define as "decent". 

Look at this

Destro is dead last. Dead. Last. Destro, compared to the other specs and parses, is trash mode ST damage. But, look at the actual number value - a little over 300k DPS. 300k isn't too bad really, it isn't amazing, but it is certainly worth a raid spot. Especially if you consider that pure ST is literally Destro's weakest selling point.

Considering how cancer AP is for a new toon, you really have to pick ONE spec to start with and destro isn't a bad pick, as long as you and the raid leader know what you're getting into.

12 hours ago, Lockybalboa said:

I think it depends on what we define as "decent". 

Look at this

Destro is dead last. Dead. Last. Destro, compared to the other specs and parses, is trash mode ST damage. But, look at the actual number value - a little over 300k DPS. 300k isn't too bad really, it isn't amazing, but it is certainly worth a raid spot. Especially if you consider that pure ST is literally Destro's weakest selling point.

Considering how cancer AP is for a new toon, you really have to pick ONE spec to start with and destro isn't a bad pick, as long as you and the raid leader know what you're getting into.

Yeah you are right Locky. The outliers are actually more the top specs (including Demo). The bottom half at least are pretty close. Yeah like I said overall I would still advise Destro for its versatility.

Demo is good and if you pick up Implosion, I end up outbursting most destro locks.
It requires a little more thought than destro, but ultimately I find the little bit of a challenge more enjoyable.

On 12/7/2016 at 2:18 PM, Creepzy said:

k thx for that, but i must say i kinda hoped for demo since i like it but yea destruction it is then.

Demo is fine.  Its only super weak points are spread cleave and heavy movement.  That said, it is gear dependent; it's not really a functional spec under 20% haste and felt slow to me until I hit about 35%.  It also requires a good Weak Aura setup to track everything.

On 10 December 2016 at 7:23 AM, Dawnblade said:

Demo is fine.  Its only super weak points are spread cleave and heavy movement.  That said, it is gear dependent; it's not really a functional spec under 20% haste and felt slow to me until I hit about 35%.  It also requires a good Weak Aura setup to track everything.

Agree, Weak Aura is great for pet management, coupled with helping you time TK and Implosion if you take it.

I'd also use Gnome Sequence to begin with, both the ST and AOE macros, just until you understand the rotation fully.

Play about with your gear. I found keeping Haste under control was important too, don't just stack Haste. The difference between having only 32% haste and capping (my best haste gear) at 35% resulted in a DPS loss (unbuffed, no food, no flask) on a ST dummy of ~40k.

All I can put it down too is ticks not lining up...I spent 90 mins swapping things in and out.

As said at various points above, lack of AP is a killer for your dps until you're at about 25 traits so hang in there.

9 hours ago, Dreadshyn said:

Is affliction completely useless ?

Affliction is fine. Just pick the spec that has the most interesting play style to you.