Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnnyZ

Dusting Old Sets

To Dust, Or Not To Dust   7 members have voted

1. 1. Should I dust all my GvG and Naxx cards?

• You should have done this when TOG was released!
    • They will be handy to have for brawls and all the memories.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 posts in this topic

When TOG was released I spent my first real money on the pre-purchase and made a decision to play standard, as I didn't believe I could ever be competitive in wild. I have never since played a wild game. However, I never dusted the GvG and Naxx cards I had then. My draw from MSG was quite poor, and I still lack staple legendaries like Sylvanas Windrunner and Ragnaros the Firelord. But I love Webspinner and others. I dont really want to do without any card, but I have so many holes in my collection. Any opinions and advice would be appreciated.

I'm in the same boat. I never play wild, but I still have Naxx and a good amount of GVG cards.  They do come in handy for the occasional tavern brawl. But other than that, Im really thinking the dust would be worth it.

I really could use the dust, but I am Loath(eb) to dust them. But what else am I going to do with them?

Why no wild though? Wild is more fun than standard. Pirate warriors are a joke (thank you, Deathlord) and the diversity is much better. 

If you REALLY don't want to play wild, dusting it depends on how much you want to have the cards in your collection - how sentimental you are. If you are not sentimental, just dust them. If you are, keep them. Nobody knows better than you do.

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, positiv2 said:

Why no wild though? Wild is more fun than standard. Pirate warriors are a joke (thank you, Deathlord) and the diversity is much better. 

Good question. I guess I just thought that there are so many more holes to fill if I were to play wild, and with TGT rotating out early next year then I will be closer to having a complete standard set. Is it more fun though? Right now I am having heaps of fun trying to turn out a 30/30 Jade Golum and buffing minions in my Grimy hands, even without Don Han'Cho.

Edited by JohnnyZ

In wild you can do everything that you can do in standard, but with more cards available! And it's not like you can't revert back to standard. However, if you go full standard, you can't go back to wild. Also, what good is complete standard set if you use only one fifth of it.

you make some interesting arguments. It's probably enough to keep me from dusting them all for right now. At least I know they'll be there for when I am drunk, impulsive, uninhibited, and I've decided I need Sergeant Sally.

personally I dusted everything that rotated out as soon as standard was announced (yes even before it released).

The reason I decided not to play wild is because I know whats going to happen in the future. This is actually something almost all trading card games end up at. What is going to happen is there will be insane combos at some point. if you can fill a deck with 4 different ways to win before turn 3 it's not fun to play anymore. Hearthstone isn't at this point yet. but give it a few years. when hundreds of new cards are released there's bound to be something that will break the game in wild. This is the whole reason they implemented standard in the first place.

I have to say I do miss certain cards. I'm not even talking about tavern brawls here, I'm just talking about heroic bosses in adventures

I still didn't get some bosses because the only decks that really do work require cards I haven't had in a long time. I'm not about to craft 4 wild epics any time soon so I'm probably going to be stuck on those for a while.

Even without legendaries just disenchanting all your common and rare cards should already yield enough dust or 1-2 legendaries. maybe you could look into that. if you ever do need a common card for something it's not that expensive to craft.

in any case, do what you feel is right and live with the consequences.

Also, I'm missing a 'yes you should' option in your poll

Edited by Shine

44 minutes ago, Shine said:

Also, I'm missing a 'yes you should' option in your poll

Thanks for your input. I'm gonna sit the fence a bit longer I think, but all this will help me finally decide at some point in the future. the first option is the yes you should option. I was trying to be clever. guess thats not working out too well for me either. :P

I say dust most of them but keep some things like Kel'thuzad and Baron Rivendare and the like that you think you might want for future adventure content. Yeah, there's no real way of knowing what you might want for future adventures because there's no way of knowing what they'll be like, but I feel like you can make some safe assumptions. Look at Naxx, for example.

You can probably do without Maexxna, Feugen, and Stalagg for sure. None of them really bring anything irreplaceable to the table. Loatheb is a bit iffier. He's a powerhouse in Wild and you might want him in a Tavern Brawl, but if you don't care about Wild and ignore Tavern Brawl past the free pack he's probably also safe to dust as far as adventure content goes.

Kel'thuzad, though, he's the kind of card that can wind up being the centerpiece of an boss-specific deck. Same for Rivendare.  So I'd dust Loatheb/Stalagg/Feugen/Maexxna and keep Rivendare and Kel'thuzad. 

And personally I prefer Standard over Wild because as the game gets older too many stupid synergies will develop and decks will get more and more gimmicky. I also like the fact that shit will rotate out eventually. I don't want to be dropping Deathlords every game until they release Deathlord+1.

21 hours ago, JohnnyZ said:

Thanks for your input. I'm gonna sit the fence a bit longer I think, but all this will help me finally decide at some point in the future. the first option is the yes you should option. I was trying to be clever. guess thats not working out too well for me either. :P

I guess it's more of a 'yes you should' than the other option at least. you should have don't it back then indeed because they were worth more dust then. but there's simply nothing you can do about that now. so just decide for yourself what to keep and what to dust.

2 hours ago, Nazihk said:

I say dust most of them but keep some things like Kel'thuzad and Baron Rivendare and the like that you think you might want for future adventure content. Yeah, there's no real way of knowing what you might want for future adventures because there's no way of knowing what they'll be like, but I feel like you can make some safe assumptions. Look at Naxx, for example.

You can probably do without Maexxna, Feugen, and Stalagg for sure. None of them really bring anything irreplaceable to the table. Loatheb is a bit iffier. He's a powerhouse in Wild and you might want him in a Tavern Brawl, but if you don't care about Wild and ignore Tavern Brawl past the free pack he's probably also safe to dust as far as adventure content goes.

Kel'thuzad, though, he's the kind of card that can wind up being the centerpiece of an boss-specific deck. Same for Rivendare.  So I'd dust Loatheb/Stalagg/Feugen/Maexxna and keep Rivendare and Kel'thuzad. 

And personally I prefer Standard over Wild because as the game gets older too many stupid synergies will develop and decks will get more and more gimmicky. I also like the fact that shit will rotate out eventually. I don't want to be dropping Deathlords every game until they release Deathlord+1.

besides legendaries: deathlord is a must keep in some heroic boss fights, same goes for sludge belcher. piloted shredder is also a very strong card in brawls (like the current one - double deathrattles) and some bosses. theres probably some more common/rare cards worth keeping but those stand out the most.

I dust the old expansions and adventures. Except for the really strong cards. You need them in boss fights just like the poster above me mentioned. 

Edited by Aexra

I kept them, not just for the brawls, boss fights or even wild. (mostly for wild though) I kept them because I am a collector and as such I would one day like to have 100% of all cards made. Right now I'm sitting on roughly 85%-90%. I'm not going to be much help with your decision though because I see both sides of the argument. 

1 person likes this

Dusted them here. I'm not a fan of Wild at all. There are cards in there that I just don't want to have to deal with. The way I see it:

I don't like some cards in Standard. I don't like some cards in Wild. Might as well only deal with half of the ones I don't like! :D