FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Eenami

What Prot build to use when putting out too much threat

I'm currently using a haste Prot build, but I'm pulling threat from my co-tank. Would a mastery build put out less threat, and give more protection in times when I can't build Holy Power?

Edited by Eenami

Simple - drop a Hand of Salvation on yourself. That gives him enough time to build up Vengeance and get a threat lead. Problem solved.

I can only do that once every two minutes though.

If you're anything like me, the thing that causes you to over-aggro is trinket procs. If I'm sitting at 40,000 Agility and 80% crit chance because my trinkets both blew up and our DK tries to taunt, I'm going to be getting hit again within 5 seconds guaranteed. You could try swapping out trinkets, or simply asking your co-tank to hold his taunt until the trinket buff wears off.

/cancelaura righteous fury

/cast Reckoning

/cast righteous fury

use the first macro to remove the threat buff from yourself, use the second to re-activate it when you taunt. NO holding back taunts, or wasting CDs, just nice and simple buff management. Should have very little effect on your DPS.

• Like 1

Really simple, if ur pulling aggro from ur off tank, simply move into ranged for a few sec or if dps is no issue, simply remove ur vengence buff.

What's the status of your OT? Are they way behind in ilvl? What spec and stat priority are they following? All the above posts are true but the real problem may lie in what the OT is doing.

The co-tank is a Death Knight, and we're both at the same average ilevel. I don't know enough about how Death Knights tank to have any say on what/how the other tank is doing, so I can't really say.

The co-tank is a Death Knight, and we're both at the same average ilevel. I don't know enough about how Death Knights tank to have any say on what/how the other tank is doing, so I can't really say.

Death Knights definitely have the worst threat production of any tank, with the standard Mastery build. There is an alternate Haste build that some DK's are using which is similar to a Paladin's, but they don't scale quite as well. It just speeds up their rune regeneration and eventually results in having them GCD locked, since haste doesn't reduce their GCD. DK's have enough survival issues as it is, so I don't strongly recommend this. Dancing Rune Weapon helps them for holding threat, but it has a long cooldown. The best thing he can do is typically to pool Runic Power so that he can do several Runic Strikes in a row to get a threat lead after the taunt.

If your raid doesn't need the DPS and the tank-swapping issues are causing wipes, then you could try a Mastery/Control priority, but your damage will suffer very heavily for it.

Makes no sense to go control Mastery when he can just Cancel RF when he doesn't want aggro. I very much doubt that the DK will struggle to hold aggro against a prot pally without RF on, even assuming a pretty bad DK pulling say 40K dps, the prot pally without RF would have to pull in excess of 200K dps to over aggro after the DK taunted.

• Like 1

I have to agree that switching specs isn't the right answer.    Adjust your play style instead.     Do you have Omen?    It's a must, helps you monitor threat, your's, the other tank, the dps.

Some tips:

Let him take the boss first to build threat and Vengence stacks.  

If your raid doesn't need your dps, then switch out a couple "dps" glyphs or talents for survivability or healing.   Such as Battle Healer.

Macro Righteous Fury so you can click it on and off.

And slow down your attacks.   When he's going to need to taunt off you in a fight, stop dps for a few seconds before his taunt and after, and then start attacking again slowly and then speed up as you get ready to taunt off.

I went haste / threat on both pally tanks.    I've tanked across from DKs, druids, monks and other pallies.   (Oddly, no warriors this xpac)    One of my WORST times in a  raid was with another pally tank who had gone the dodge parry route.    He did alright with threat as long as I watched mine very carefully but his dmg was super spikey.   Ironic?    Well haste allows us to keep up our active mitigation more.   Capping Hit and Expertise is part of that package.    I think atm Pallies are the only class that lower their GCD.    It would be sad to nerf yourself.     Using another method means you will probably get hit less and take less damage at times, however, when you do get hit, there are times it's going to hit for a ton more if you're not doing things like keeping sotr up.   

I can tank ToT regular in my ret gear with a sword and sheild and don't do any worse than my other prot pally who's in full "tank" gear with dodge, parry etc.    She has a TON more HPs and can take bigger hits but doesn't do as much dmg / healing wise.  

There are trade offs either way.     In the long run you'll be ahead for raiding to stick with the Control/Haste set up and simply learn to manage your threat a bit better.    Would cost a ton to regem, re-enchant and reforge.