FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Clericsftw

Frost DPS Lacking Help!

I recently tried out for a guild that needed a mage. I havent been playing too long on any caster DPS in any game before but was having decent fun as a mage. I play frost but was thinking of switching to fire when/ if I got higher gear levels.

Sadly I didnt get into the guild but they carried me through to Lei Shen. I thought my dps could be better and was having a hard time figuring out what I have been doing wrong.

I dont fully grasp yet where all the information is on WoL but I have used it some. I usually start off pre-fight with invocation and try to keep it up 100% of the time. Same with mage bomb (Living bomb for single target and Nether Tempest for multi-target 3+). I pop icy veins at the start and hit alter time when I have a two FoF procs and a BF proc. Admittedly sometimes I have to wait a great deal of time before I get a BrainFreeze proc which slows down my opening burst. I also try to keep Frozen Orb on CD and Mirror image.

Is it wise to use Frozen Orb when you need FoF procs at the very beginning of the fight? What if I dont get a BF proc when I need to cast Alter time to get the extra 5 seconds of icy veins? I also am still getting used to my rotation and am very forgetful of Mirror Image. Is that a decent amount of dps that Im missing from not using it on cooldown? I do stop frostbolt casts unless they are almost finished when I get either 2 charges of FoF or 1 charge of BF so they dont clip each other every time.

Here is my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Magesftw/advanced

I know that not having Jade spirit on my weapon is a large dps loss but I dont have tons of money to spend and opted for Windsong. Also UVLS is somewhat awful for mages but its the only choice I have at the moment. Will those changes make a large difference in my output?

Finally logs for each fight. I have everything up to Lei Shen but will have to probably update for Twins and Lei Shen tomorrow. Thanks for all the help I could get, it would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to be bad anymore...

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-hflhyc3hroys0ybx/

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-styodtdp8xxs7gyx/

I will have twins and lei shen posted as soon as world of logs updates tomorrow. I wish I had Jin and Horridon for you but they werent logged. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Just looking at your first log right now. You need to find a way to track your Invoker's Energy buff from Invocation (my recommendation is Weak Auras). You did great on Megaera but the other Council and Tortos you had around 60% and Ji-Kun I don't even see the buff. This REALLY needs to be in the 90%+ range for all bosses, it's a huge bonus to damage. Your bomb uptime looks pretty good on all those Posted Image

Is it wise to use Frozen Orb when you need FoF procs at the very beginning of the fight?

Make sure to brush up on section 5.3 about the Opening Sequence. Link here.

What if I dont get a BF proc when I need to cast Alter time to get the extra 5 seconds of icy veins?

Then just go on without the BF proc, it's nice but not critical.

I also am still getting used to my rotation and am very forgetful of Mirror Image. Is that a decent amount of dps that Im missing from not using it on cooldown?

Every bit helps and it's great at the start of the fight during your burst to make sure you don't pull aggro.

I do stop frostbolt casts unless they are almost finished when I get either 2 charges of FoF or 1 charge of BF so they dont clip each other every time.

Dont' stop a cast to use procs. Just queue up the proc at the end of the cast.

I know that not having Jade spirit on my weapon is a large dps loss but I dont have tons of money to spend and opted for Windsong. Also UVLS is somewhat awful for mages but its the only choice I have at the moment. Will those changes make a large difference in my output?

Replacing UVLS will help quite a bit (virtually any lfr trinket will be better) Jade spirit will be a minor gain in the grand scheme so don't sweat it. Get a back and wrist enchant first. Proper rotation and play far outweighs any enchants or gemming changes though.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1