FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

New Design

CJtwCiB.jpg

After several months of work, we have finally released the new design of our website. This may look like a simple design overhaul, but there is a lot more than meets the eye.

Our website has often been praised for being very easy to navigate, so we decided to keep the layout mostly unchanged, with the exception of the home page, where we can now feature important news. As a result, we focused mainly on giving the website a more pleasant look, hoping to make it more attractive, visually, to our readership. The hardest part in all that was redesigning the forums, because there were hundreds of templates to modify.

As you may have noticed, we have removed the social buttons that were previously found on each of our guides. This goes against the general trend that a website should be connected in every possible way with Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc. The main reason why we did this is because we never found much use for these buttons. The overwhelming majority of our readers do not share World of Warcraft links on their Facebook or Twitter, so we figured that it was a bit pointless to overload our website with these buttons if no one is using them (not to mention that these buttons enable social media companies to track our readers throughout our website).

Another major change is that the width of the website was slightly reduced. This has to do with our new advertising setup. I will post a longer message on this matter in the next few days, because I think it is important that our readers understand where we stand on that specific topic.

There are many features that we still plan on adding to the website, so this new design is really a first step towards a very much improved user experienced on Icy Veins.

After many months of work, it is also important to thank those who helped us with this new design, especially Michael Oglesby, who guided us in the right direction, and our moderators, who never run out of feedback to give us.

• Like 6

I love the new look! now the site is even more discrete when I'm browsing from work. wink.png

Oh, also I was having some trouble posting in Chrome, even after I cleared my browser cache. it kept saying the post was empty. but it works fine from Internet Explorer.

Edited by Storm

Oh, the white background pages and white letters are seriously hurting my eyes. Is there an option to change it back?

Edited by Notoriousthf

Oh, the white background pages and white letters are seriously hurting my eyes. Is there an option to change it back?

I don't see white on white.  Do you mind posting a screenshot of what you see?  Also what browser and operating system you are using.

If you have issues displaying the new design, a few reloads of the page or a browser restart usually takes care of it :)

If you have issues displaying the new design, a few reloads of the page or a browser restart usually takes care of it smile.png

I don't see white on white.  Do you mind posting a screenshot of what you see?  Also what browser and operating system you are using.

If you have issues displaying the new design, a few reloads of the page or a browser restart usually takes care of it smile.png

I was also having these problems, the site had a white background, and sometimes also the old MoP building picture (and everything was missaligned). I got screenshots and was about to post them, but then I cleared my browers cache and refreshed and it worked much better. Now I can see the blue/grey background and it alll looks much much better. Perhaps mention we need to do this on your oringal post :)

Using Firefox on Windows 7.

The new site looks fantastic! Great work :)

To those of you having issues seeing the new layout the solution is simple: clear your cache / cookies. At first I had the white on white and I presumed the clearing would fix it and it did just that. For informative purposes I am using Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit and using Mozilla Firefox 22.0

==========================

Anyway.... onto the topic! I absolutely appreciate the fact that IV is still clean cut and squared away; it is still very easy to read and navigate - kudos to you guys!

Keep up the great work. All you're doing is adding more reasons that I recommend IV to anyone as the #1 class and raid guide resource for World of Warcraft.

Great job on the new layout, big thumbs up to those of you who put the work in!

Had similar issues as others with wonky formatting in Chrome, but clearing the cache worked great. Now I just have to figure out how to do it on my phone since the Chrome app has the same issue haha.

Site looks great!  I was also having issues viewing at first but after a cleaning everything turned out as it should.

I'm using firefox on w7

Also, i think i know how i'm replicating it, i'm not putting www. in the beginning, just icy-veins.com on its own, but i think it's only on firefox, cuz it works fine on IE

WhiteBackground_zpsdfaf3f87.pngWhiteBackground2_zps35a33844.png

EDIT: Had to go to task manager and end process, now it's working fine.

Edited by Notoriousthf

I'm using firefox on w7

Also, i think i know how i'm replicating it, i'm not putting www. in the beginning, just icy-veins.com on its own, but i think it's only on firefox, cuz it works fine on IE

EDIT: Had to go to task manager and end process, now it's working fine.

Yea, if it happens again just keep refreshing the browser or clearing your cache.

Its pretty nice. Better than the old one in my opinion. Just an aesthetic observation; You don't need two down-pointing arrows (one big and one small) for your menu, do you? smile.png

mOOwalker

Its pretty nice. Better than the old one in my opinion. Just an aesthetic observation; You don't need two down-pointing arrows (one big and one small) for your menu, do you? smile.png

mOOwalker

That's most likely due to our icyveins.js file not having been recached by your browser yet. It should disappear fast enough :)

Really like the new design, a very soothing coloring. A bit smaller though and alot of blue on the sides, but beside that great work  smile.png

Maybe a cellphone version next? wink.png

Guest WeeWilly

I am using IE 9 and IE 10.  The ad on the right side under the banner ad is taking up way too much space dropping down in the actual posts and hidding what people are writing.  Do you really need so many ads?

Maybe put the ads on the left side? or possible put one banner ad above the name of the site and the other ad all the way at the bottom?  Sorry, don't mean to be a peckerhead here, it's just the ads are too much.

Also the facebook and other buttons are still here. I thought I read, that they were removed?

Possible to put a "reply" button on top instead all the way at the end?

as Victoria said to Toddy* when he complains about the door being found open as they go to bed - "bitch, bitch, bitch"

Other than that, everything else is nice.  biggrin.png

*- the movie "Victor Victoria"

your humble peckerhead,

WeeWilly

Edited by WeeWilly

Our website has often been praised for being very easy to navigate...

Unless of course there's a flash ad in the leaderboard and then it becomes impossible to click on any of the subnav items because they're hidden behind the ad.

Setting wmode=transparent for the ads will correct the issue.

Guest WeeWilly

LOL, it was hidden by the ad on page 1!  But on some pages the ad on the right top side is not very big and is not covering that side and I see it.  (such as this being page 2, the ad is normal looking) (and makes me want to break out in song!)

Thanks Pulikutty.  Now if that ad area gets fixed....  unsure.png

-Wee Willy

I am using IE 9 and IE 10.  The ad on the right side under the banner ad is taking up way too much space dropping down in the actual posts and hidding what people are writing.  Do you really need so many ads?

Maybe put the ads on the left side? or possible put one banner ad above the name of the site and the other ad all the way at the bottom?  Sorry, don't mean to be a peckerhead here, it's just the ads are too much.

Also the facebook and other buttons are still here. I thought I read, that they were removed?

Possible to put a "reply" button on top instead all the way at the end?

as Victoria said to Toddy* when he complains about the door being found open as they go to bed - "bitch, bitch, bitch"

Other than that, everything else is nice.  biggrin.png

*- the movie "Victor Victoria"

your humble peckerhead,

WeeWilly

Could you please take a screenshot and show me how it displays for you? The ad on the right is not supposed to extend further down than the other component on its left. What do you mean the ads are too much? There are 3 ads per page, none of them in a location that should impede your ability to enjoy the website.

LOL, it was hidden by the ad on page 1!  But on some pages the ad on the right top side is not very big and is not covering that side and I see it.  (such as this being page 2, the ad is normal looking) (and makes me want to break out in song!)

Thanks Pulikutty.  Now if that ad area gets fixed....  unsure.png

-Wee Willy

I really need a screenshot, ads aren't supposed to display as you describe it.

Unless of course there's a flash ad in the leaderboard and then it becomes impossible to click on any of the subnav items because they're hidden behind the ad.

Setting wmode=transparent for the ads will correct the issue.

It isn't possible to set wmode=transparent for the ads. They're displayed in an iframe, and cross-domain scripting is not permitted by browsers. That said, even with wmode=opaque, the ads should still display properly. Could you please provide me with a screenshot of what is happening? I'm trying hard to fix the issue, but the problem is that I've never seen it and I've tested on Mac + Windows 7 with all the browsers we are supporting. In the worst case scenario, I'll just hide the ads when people are using the menus :p