FORUMS
Damien

Our stance on ads and ad blockers

I turned off AdBlock specifically for Icy Veins, because I really love you for you do for an average WoW player. However, today your website included some aggressive ads that popped in middle of the webpage and started playing YouTube video. Turning on AdBlock again, hopefully you can resolve this so I can continue to support you.

Made an account just to reply to this post. 

After reading, I decided to try  turning off ADblock for this site. 5 min later i turned it back on again. Here's 2 reasons why:

1. Ads are showing up in the middle of paragraphs/sections of posts. This is extremely distracting and really takes away from the site's content.
  2. Your ads crash my flash player when i have other content using flash player.

Maybe after these kinds of problems get fixed/improved upon I'll consider not using ADblock.

Uncommon Patron

Icy Veins is an excellent resource, but unfortunately I started experiencing frequent World of Warcraft disconnects earlier this year whenever I would visit.  Ironically this also happened with a number of other WoW-related sites such as Wowhead.  After months of frustration, the only solution I was able to find is to install an adblock extension (Adblock Plus) in Google Chrome, as one player recently suggested on the WoW forum in a sticky on the subject (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/18300817705).  I hate to deprive you of ad revenue, but the my only options were to either stop visiting the site while playing WoW or install the adblocker.

Icy Veins is an excellent resource, but unfortunately I started experiencing frequent World of Warcraft disconnects earlier this year whenever I would visit.  Ironically this also happened with a number of other WoW-related sites such as Wowhead.  After months of frustration, the only solution I was able to find is to install an adblock extension (Adblock Plus) in Google Chrome, as one player recently suggested on the WoW forum in a sticky on the subject (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/18300817705).  I hate to deprive you of ad revenue, but the my only options were to either stop visiting the site while playing WoW or install the adblocker.

You can white list Icy veins specifically with adblock.

I noticed the banner at the top about ad blockers and chose to read this forum post. As a user I'm appreciative of the transparency you have shown in this posting and glad for a better understanding of advertisements at icy-veins.com. I made the informed choice to allow the icy-veins.com domain to show me advertisements and I'm happy with that decision and glad that I can contribute in this way. This is the only domain I have allowed through my pop up blocker. 

I think your choice to allow pop up blockers is a good one. I have noticed a trend of websites REQUIRING you to turn off your pop up blocker. I can tell you that when I stumble upon one no matter what it has to offer I just simply leave. So I feel informing and giving an option is certainly the best route. 

Thanks for the fantastic website and the wealth of knowledge.

I don't mind ads at and I understand the need for them.  But something I have noticed on this website is ads that start audio in the background.  That is very annoying, especially if you have a lot of windows open and the IV window is behind some of them.  You have to go through and hunt for which window is making the sounds and close it.  Which brings me to the next issue for you guys.  If people start realizing that IV has ads on it that produce unwanted and unexpected audio, they will either 1. start using ad blockers or 2. not use Icy Veins.

Please provide a premium version of your website.  I, and I am sure others, will gladly pay a monthly subscription fee to not have to deal with the ambush audio ads.

17 hours ago, Nevarin said:

I don't mind ads at and I understand the need for them.  But something I have noticed on this website is ads that start audio in the background.  That is very annoying, especially if you have a lot of windows open and the IV window is behind some of them.  You have to go through and hunt for which window is making the sounds and close it.  Which brings me to the next issue for you guys.  If people start realizing that IV has ads on it that produce unwanted and unexpected audio, they will either 1. start using ad blockers or 2. not use Icy Veins.

Please provide a premium version of your website.  I, and I am sure others, will gladly pay a monthly subscription fee to not have to deal with the ambush audio ads.

This is definitely not intended. If you have these sort of ads that start playing audio randomly or have inappropriate content for the site, the best thing you can do is let us know as much information about the ad that you can. Topic, what page, time, what did it, where was the ad located etc.

As for the premium version, we're always looking for news ways to allow people to support us, so that they can do so if they wish in the way they wish. If they don't want ads, they can support us another way if they wish. We'll post updates in our news when we release different methods. We did set up a Patreon account when we released our Twitch channel, so that's one alternative. 

On 4/30/2016 at 2:00 PM, RingozwenY said:

Any news about premium service?

On NexusMods you can remove ads and be a supporter just donating 2$, I think that's a great thing.

100% agree, would pay to not have my browsers crash because of constant ad overload on this site.

On 2/27/2015 at 10:54 PM, MarsAdept said:

Made an account just to reply to this post. 

After reading, I decided to try  turning off ADblock for this site. 5 min later i turned it back on again. Here's 2 reasons why:

1. Ads are showing up in the middle of paragraphs/sections of posts. This is extremely distracting and really takes away from the site's content.
  2. Your ads crash my flash player when i have other content using flash player.

Maybe after these kinds of problems get fixed/improved upon I'll consider not using ADblock.

Also just made an account to reply to this as well.

On 9/7/2016 at 9:55 AM, Nevarin said:

Just again, mirroring what others have said here. A premium service I would gladly pay for, like over on WoWhead.com. Their site was unbearable and would kill my bandwidth just having a few tabs open. Signed up for premium, never looked back. Would absolutely LOVE to be able to do the same thing here too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gdubz said:

100% agree, would pay to not have my browsers crash because of constant ad overload on this site.

Also just made an account to reply to this as well.

Just again, mirroring what others have said here. A premium service I would gladly pay for, like over on WoWhead.com. Their site was unbearable and would kill my bandwidth just having a few tabs open. Signed up for premium, never looked back. Would absolutely LOVE to be able to do the same thing here too.

It's always nice to hear that people feel our service and site is worth paying for!

We are definitely looking into establishing a premium service soon. Is there anything that you, as users, specifically would want included in a premium service?

P.S. Welcome to the forums and thanks for making an account!

Uncommon Patron

I just wanted to add my two pennorth worth. I would gladly pay for a non add version of the site. Not just gladly, ecstatically!!

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 9:26 AM, Blainie said:

Is there anything that you, as users, specifically would want included in a premium service?

Just no ads as far as I'm concerned.

For feedback sake, the reason I want no ads is not that I have anything against them per se, they can even be helpful, but they crash IE all the time, and my game if I've tabbed out. The audio ones seem a particular culprit for this. On my ipad I don't have that problem but it does take me to sites I either accidently clicked on while using the page or just randomly. I don't use the ipad for IV since going to a site where the photograph quite put me off breakfast. It bore no resemblance to the supposed ad site.

Also, your site does, unfortunately often send Malwarebytes into overdrive, I usually exit at that point as that's a bit of a worry.

Your site is the very best for wow and Diablo. I would be lost without it. Deadset's guides for Diablo have made me a better player overall, his explanation of the synergy between items and spell choices making me think more about all my character choices. So thank you, but please, premium soon :)

12 hours ago, JJ77 said:

Just no ads as far as I'm concerned.

Some of this stuff is slightly worrying, since it definitely shouldn't be happening. Do you think you could make a new thread in this Site Feedback forum and give us as much detail as possible on these kind of ads? The more info, the better, since we can forward it all on and try to get it fixed ASAP.

Things such as last time it occurred, what it contained, what page, forum or site, system, browser etc. would be incredibly helpful.

I know it's an old topic but I only recently found the site and have found it invaluable. Great to see such a detailed response - far above and beyond what we often see on other sites - and agree with several of the others in here around support for your stance on ads, ad blockers and premium membership types. Looking forward to other changes you might make, as well as perusing new (to me and to the site) content!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2018 at 3:27 PM, Shaddoch said:

I know it's an old topic but I only recently found the site and have found it invaluable. Great to see such a detailed response - far above and beyond what we often see on other sites - and agree with several of the others in here around support for your stance on ads, ad blockers and premium membership types. Looking forward to other changes you might make, as well as perusing new (to me and to the site) content!

It might be an old topic, but it's always an issue we're keeping a close eye on! Thanks for the kind words!

• Like 2

@Damien hi there. Recently there has appeared a very annoying app, esp for mobile users. Unfortunately I don't see a report button under it and have to ask you to do something about it.kmUlBhi33eg.jpgthis ruins my experience with your site. Thanks in advance. 

Wow... Sorry about this. I'm already speaking to our ad partner to get rid of this. Are these two ads or a single one somehow?

PlayStation insert ads are broken on mobile at the moment, it moves your position every 15-20 seconds (approx. length of ad). Even as I type this it’s moved my position 4 times. It’s also in French for some reason? Makes it almost impossible to read articles.

Device is iPhone 11 Pro, chrome browser, both updated to latest versions.

B4A3E637-1FDB-4FCD-B8B3-CF1DF270FB29.png

I love your site and have used it for a long time. I don't mind ads at all, I understand their function but today I noticed it being obtrusive. I like to have the website up in the background while I play and today there was an ad that pops up in the corner, which is a video with sound, and I can hear it even when I'm not looking at the site. Extremely annoying, where I just have to close the site altogether. 

1 hour ago, Mavrik5 said:

I love your site and have used it for a long time. I don't mind ads at all, I understand their function but today I noticed it being obtrusive. I like to have the website up in the background while I play and today there was an ad that pops up in the corner, which is a video with sound, and I can hear it even when I'm not looking at the site. Extremely annoying, where I just have to close the site altogether. 

Hi! Thank you for reporting this. I will notify the ads team about it. Is it the video ad on the bottom right corner or a different one?

Can you please also let me know the browser you are using and the country you are visiting the site from?

Many thanks.