FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
slap

ilvl 531 Frost vs Fire

So I have been reading the forums more and more and looking at other mage logs. Based on my findings fire is out performing frost hands down at my item level. I absolutely love playing frost and usually top the charts but feel like I need to switch to fire based on my gear and the info ive read on 5.4.

My question is, based on my gear for optimal DPS should I switch to fire and start getting used to the rotation?

My toon: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Slapnticklee/advanced

I will be getting my 600 cape this week also.

Thanks for any advice as always!

For 5.4 we simply don't know yet.  I still think fire will receive some sort of nerf (but it's not happened on ptr yet and may not happen at all) and they are making frost changes (hopefully to bring it up to par with the other specs).

We are close enough to 5.4 that I wouldn't switch unless you just want to try fire or arcane.  Hopefully in the near future, things on ptr will stabilize a bit and we'll be able to make strong recommendations.

• Like 1

For 5.4 we simply don't know yet.  I still think fire will receive some sort of nerf (but it's not happened on ptr yet and may not happen at all) and they are making frost changes (hopefully to bring it up to par with the other specs).

We are close enough to 5.4 that I wouldn't switch unless you just want to try fire or arcane.  Hopefully in the near future, things on ptr will stabilize a bit and we'll be able to make strong recommendations.

Thanks for the reply. In that case I will just try and build a strong off spec and grab a 2nd set of gear to play around with fire. That way if things change I will at least have a head start on the spec. 

• Like 1

Honestly, you should go fire.  Everyone I talk to says once you can reach 40% crit rating you need to go fire because it just absolutely does more damage when played correctly.

Looking at your mage on Ask Mr. Robot (http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/87a587ff-785f-4da3-9ced-671094e76f93) it says you can reach 42% crat rating (without molten armor!) so you're looking at about 45-46% crit rating.

Going into SoO crit gear will just be more plentiful and you'll get better and better.