FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
lethality

Unholy vs Frost in M+

I am wondering what is better for mythic plus as a dps dk. I have been playing unholy but I've seen a lot of frost dks without bis legendaries do more dps than me in this current patch. Is it worth play frost in M+ or not? 

Frost is still very good in M+ and has more utility through the stun and more flexibility through talent choices for aoe/middle ground/st. really good UH AoE is restricted to IC procs, D&D/Defile CD, and even /w CS giving you ranged, movement tends to hurt it more. The helm can reduce D&D CD time, but won't necessarily give you more throughput during a pack compared to other legendaries. Both are good, but which is better often depends on who else you're running with and specific affixes. For example, for skittish, I found CS for UH much preferable to frost for the range. Both are worth it, imo, but your personal preference and skill will contirbute more to your performance for this particular patch.

I believe unholy is better than frost for m+ I've never been beat by another frost dk, as unholy. I think frost is easier so you'll see more people doing better at it, but if you have -mastered- unholy I think it proves better.

Alot of things conflict the answer, player skill, legendaries, artifact traits etc..however as a balanced spec in both then frost will come out on top because of the fact the mobility and the CC that comes with it is more valuable.

On 23/01/2017 at 11:55 AM, Drtain said:

frost has worse mobility than unholy. 

I believe that from around 10+ Lingering Apparition is replaced by Corpse Shield anyways (for obvious reasons) - so in terms of sheer mobility UH and F are matched. UH however isn't punished for being away from the target as much as F is - which includes the first time you engage the enemy - thanks to broader ranged arsenal (DC, pet, garg, possibly CS) and UH can get an additional grip from Sludge Belcher to close the gap.

Frost is easier to play to a moderate level and thus you will see bigger numbers at that skill level. 

Unholy is slightly harder to play well but when you do its very competitive, assuming you have the legendary's available to get the most out of it.

So, if you have the BIS legendary for both and want a simple play-style with good numbers, go frost. If you want a slightly harder play-style and more dps especially at higher levels when the mobs live longer go unholy.

In either case, play the style your more comfortable with/better at as it will serve you better.