FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Thibbledorf

It's puts the gear in the basket or else it gets the hose again. HALP!

Hey everyone.  I've been lurking on the forums for a bit, but I honestly just need some serious help.  Looking foreward to 5.4 I need to step up my game.  I've been playing Destro as a blanket specc this tier while raid-leading just due to the simplicity of the specc.  I'm not getting ready to swap over to affliction and all the resources I've been checking, along with some 1 to 1's from warlocks on my server have left me horrendously confused.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Thibbledorf/advanced

^that's my warlock.  His gear is ok, that's not the problem.  I'm pretty sure it's me.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/x450viki9xui8d3o/details/4/  (Demo logs)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/3eyftxxa1ij7u2kl/details/8/ (Destro logs)

^recent-ish logs, guild took a few weeks off in order to prep for Siege.

My main request is I honestly need help regemming my gear for affliction, reforging isn't as complicated.  I've read everything from just blanket mastery up to hitting the 13,000 haste mark and any advice you all could give me would be greatly appreciated. sad.png

Thanks again.

Edited by Thibbledorf

With gear like yours it's going to be better to stop at the 9778 haste BP then trying to push for the higher ones. Although you CAN reach the higher BPs, you'll be slaying your mastery. Keeping haste/mastery roughly in balance is the goal.

If I was you I'd reforge for the 9778 BP then gem around that. Dropping haste from your current gemming as much as you can in favor of mastery until you're as close to 9778 as you can without going under.

Stop gemming pure ints. Pure int gems are bad. You get more out of 80/120 and 320 gems then you ever will out of 180 int.

For RIGHT NOW since you don't have UVLS it isn't worth it to ever look at demo. Imo with your gear Aff/desto is the way to go. Ofc this all changes in 5.4 (next week) where Destro will be dead and Aff will be king. Might as well start getting use to the playstyle of aff now.

I managed to get the 9778bp done, and gemmed for mastery in all available spots.  Did H-Horridon tonight and did pretty abysmally since I'm in no way used to the rotation/uptime but that's just going to be me redoing weakauras and getting my rotation down correctly.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Thibbledorf/advanced

^regemmed/forged for as close to 9778 as I could get(I'm a little over).

As always, any advice or recommendations are welcome and appreciated!

*EDIT* Actually looking at my gear made me realise something.  Holy shit do I have terrible pieces for Affliction.  Crit everywhere >_<

*EDIT #2*

Dug through WoL to find the guild I ran with...

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-jpl3i5hlpnsj6p3h/details/2/?s=5034&e=5646

^H-Horridon.  And me being terrible.

Edited by Thibbledorf

Kinda low uptime on everything , doom needs to be close to 99% if not 100% , same with corruption.

also i think you're missing a few shadowflames since the uptime is only 27% , try to weave it and let it stack as much as you can.

27% is pretty solid.  In a fight like this, timing a 2 stack with most adds up > optimizing by applying with 1 second left. 

Some notes:

-your opener...do you have one?  You opened at less than 150k and you dropped below 100k DPS many times. 

-Haunt uptime is really low.  With all those adds, you should have Soul Shards pouring out your wazoo.  Haunt is the staple mistake most Affliction players make.  They're almost never casting it enough.  This mistake will be MUCH more apparent in 5.4, so learn to get that down. 

-Infernal is a mistake...always.  The ONLY time the Infernal is decent is if you're hitting 20+ targets.  Doomguard when Horridon had 200% increased damage would have been a MUCH better choice.  You would have gained 4,000,000 damage at least. 

-46 Shadow Trance (Nightfall) procs, 32 Haunt casts.  I have a feel you're using Soulburn:Soulswap a bit too much and Haunt too little.  You should be using some Shards for Soulburn:Soulswap, but you should be acquiring a number of these by using Drain Soul on a dying add. 

TL;DR: Never Infernal.  MOAR Haunt.  Learn an opener.

The basic Opening for Affli locks if I remember well is:

CoE -> DS -> Haunt -> SB:SS -> 2x Malefic Grasp -> SB:SS when procs are at max -> Haunt -> Malefic grasp ->> Normal Rotation

27% is pretty solid.  In a fight like this, timing a 2 stack with most adds up > optimizing by applying with 1 second left. 

Some notes:

-your opener...do you have one?  You opened at less than 150k and you dropped below 100k DPS many times. 

-Haunt uptime is really low.  With all those adds, you should have Soul Shards pouring out your wazoo.  Haunt is the staple mistake most Affliction players make.  They're almost never casting it enough.  This mistake will be MUCH more apparent in 5.4, so learn to get that down. 

-Infernal is a mistake...always.  The ONLY time the Infernal is decent is if you're hitting 20+ targets.  Doomguard when Horridon had 200% increased damage would have been a MUCH better choice.  You would have gained 4,000,000 damage at least. 

-46 Shadow Trance (Nightfall) procs, 32 Haunt casts.  I have a feel you're using Soulburn:Soulswap a bit too much and Haunt too little.  You should be using some Shards for Soulburn:Soulswap, but you should be acquiring a number of these by using Drain Soul on a dying add. 

Meh , adds die too fast to haunt them usually.

Horridon doesn't die too fast.  You should always apply extra shards via Haunt onto Horridon.  But there is no way the Venom Priests, Shamans, etc die too fast.  Haunt only lasts 8 seconds...if they're dying in 6 seconds, Haunt is worth it.  30% damage buff, yo!

Some notes:

Thanks for the reply Zagam, the advice is appreciated.

My opener is as follows:

-Curse of Exhaustion

-Dark Soul

-Soulburn

-Haunt

-Malefic Grasp till legendary Meta and all my proccs go off

-Use the Soulburn on Soulswap

-Off to the races.

That's probably wrong, but its what I've been using in the 4 hours I've played affliction since respeccing.  Going to spend some more time today probably doing some LFR or whatever I can to get some more practice in.

And as for my shard usage... it's mostly me having a really poor UI setup and being terrible..  I use ElvUI(with stuff moved around and resized) and I set up weakauras for myself a month or two ago so my screen looks like someone punched a clown during combat so I get frazzled sometimes.  Especially on Horridon last night I was tab SB:SS to put DoT's on EVERYTHING and I guess that was not the right decision lol.  Spent too much time putting crap on the adds that I neglected Horridon >_<

Dude...no wonder you can't track things without crossing your eyes.  I personally raise my character frame, target frame, pet frame, and target of target frame up to about 1/4 up the screen.  This leaves a block of space between my buff bars (where yours are, Dark Intent, Soulwell, etc) where I can put my pet bar to clear up the right of my screen.  Stick all the shit you don't need to DPS on the right like Skada/Recount, Quests, etc.  Get those bars out of there.  They're highly inefficient up against the side of your screen.

Turn off your combat text.  There's no way you can read that while paying attention to things, if you even NEED to read it.  You just have numbers pouring in two different places (healing on the left, DPS on the right) that mean nothing and bog your computer down.  Looks like Mik's Scrolling Text...get rid of that garbage and use ElvUI's default text where your numbers just pop off near your target.  This is where you should be looking anyways to make sure your DoTs are on each target indicated by your Tidyplates.

You only need to know about Wushoolay's proc with WeakAuras.  That should be in the center, right above your spell bar.  You need the "WUSH 8" "WUSH 9" and "WUSH 10!" messages in the middle of your screen so you notice them.  After a while, you'll have an internal timer in your head going off once you notice your Wush icon pop up from a proc WA notification.  Get rid of Lightweave WA proc and whatever else you got.  Breath is ok, but that brings me to my next point....

WHERE THE HELL IS YOUR AFFDOTS ADDON?  Are you playing without Affdots?  Please get this addon now and quit worrying about each individual proc.  If you don't know what this is, I'll explain it to you.  I hope you just...forgot it or something.  It's crucial and it goes somewhere you can notice it (mine is just to the left of my character panel).  Some like it in bars or graph style, horizontal, etc.  Whatever...just get it and use it.

Oh, and sell your soul and make some gold. 

I had Affdots installed it just uh.. wasn't.. *cough* turned on.  *hangs head*

http://i.imgur.com/34jip7p.jpg

^ Putting some of your advice to use.  I couldn't find combat-text anywhere in the ElvUI options so I just turned on target-text in the default blizzard interface.  Cleaned out the right side of the screen, gutted my weakauras to just have Hydra/Woosh in a more useful location.

Obviously there's more work to be done, but as always, thanks a lot for the advice.

Doing LFR(Pinnacle of Storms) I noticed I had an easier time keeping dots up and rolling.. I just need to tweak the color setup for AffDots to make it a little clearer (better + Pandemic / same + pandemic etc).  My DPS is still pretty bad(140k on average) but practicing with the new UI and setup will probably improve all that.

Thanks for all the advice Zagam :D

O Hai Thibble. I clicked the WoL link, was like 'wat', then went back and saw your username. Hope you're getting the hang of affliction. :D