FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Griezz

Frost DK - gem choices?

I have a question regarding gems and the stat/reforge priority...

According to AskMrRobot, for my Frost DK (2H), I need to fill my yellow gem sockets with Quick Sun's Radiance, which is a pure Haste gem. However, according to the stat reforge list here, STR > Haste, which means that I should be gemming for a Fierce Vermillion Onyx (STR/Haste).

Is there a Haste breakpoint I should be aiming for? Which gem is recommended?

Gorefoul (US:Earthen Ring)

Reforge for Haste, but gem for Str. The more you move around the more dps you'll gain by using Str over Haste.

I'm not sure if iit's because of a breakpoint or if people just found out that in practice Str was better than it was in simulations. Assuming you're mostly full 522+ You should be able to easily get your haste up to 60%+ even without gemming haste. in full heroic gear I push about 75% haste while gemming str.

Edited by Storm

Robot by default weights would set you to gem haste. Its not better than strenght point by point but secondary stat gems have twice the amount of the stat than primary ones.

Nevertheless, as Storm mentioned, strength will come out on top in any realistic scenario while haste would yield better results based on simulations.

I'd think that this would mean that gemming haste has a bigger damage potential but would require a patchwerk style fight to be worth it.

Reforge for Haste, but gem for Str. The more you move around the more dps you'll gain by using Str over Haste.

I'm not sure if iit's because of a breakpoint or if people just found out that in practice Str was better than it was in simulations. Assuming you're mostly full 522+ You should be able to easily get your haste up to 60%+ even without gemming haste. in full heroic gear I push about 75% haste while gemming str.

Actually, my iLvl is quite a bit below that, since I haven't raided much; the avg. iLvl is only 491 or so. (Got a ways yet until Siege-doable.) Nevertheless, gemmed up using STR/Haste gems in all but blue sockets, my Haste currntly stnds at 62.87%. Should I switch to straight Bold (STR) gems then?

For reference purposes, see http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/earthen-ring/Gorefoul/advanced

Edited by Griezz

The Str+Haste gems should be ok for now. It would make a very small difference switching the red sockets to Bold, but as you upgrades I would definitely recommend putting 160str into your red sockets.