FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Siege of Orgrimmar Hunter Style

This thread is meant to collect useful pieces of information for Hunters attempting bosses in the Siege of Orgrimmar. We will add some contributions ourselves and hope that the rest will come from comments in this thread smile.png

Table of Contents

Immerseus

Tips:

Links:

The Fallen Protectors

Tips:

Links:

Norushen

Tips:

Links:

Sha of Pride

Tips:

Links:

Galakras

Tips:

Links:

Iron Juggernaut

Tips:

Links:

Kor'kron Dark Shaman

Tips:

Links:

General Nazgrim

Tips:

Links:

Malkorok

Tips:

Links:

Spoils of Pandaria

Tips:

Links:

Thok the Bloodthirsty

Tips:

Links:

Siegecrafter Blackfuse

Tips:

Links:

Paragons of the Klaxxi

Tips:

Links:

Garrosh Hellscream

Tips:

Links:

Immerseus

Ice trap stuns the adds (hostile) and slows them, best to place the trap before they spawn, on as many targets as possible. If you have a few adds in one place, this can allow AoE nukage. Concussive shot is useful to slow the adds also.

• Like 2

Immerseus

• If your raid is having trouble with the little adds, you can use ice trap and binding arrow to help slow two lanes' worth. Concussive shot will also slow an add (though you're probably better off just shooting it). 
  • Deterrence negates the damage from Swirl (at least glyphed Deterrence does).
  • A number of hunters have problems with their pets despawning on this fight. Try to position yourself at Immerseus' back so your pet is never too far away from you.

Sha of Pride

• Interrupt the Mocking Blast. The add can be stunned (either by its moving out of range of Binding Arrow, or via the Intimidation talent) -- this will help keep it from casting and will help your raid control which two players soak up the pride from its death.
  • It might be worth it to save your big CDs (rapid fire, stampede) for the first time you get Power of the Titans, since it also modifies the amount of damage your pet does -- but I haven't done the math on this yet.

Galakras

• The sheer number of adds on this fight makes Barrage/Blink Strikes almost necessary. I toyed with Powershot to knock back the Bonecrushers from our faction leaders, but the long cast time makes it difficult to employ. Binding Shot will work on the adds; I imagine intimidation will also stun the Bonecrushers, but I didn't try it.
  • Hunters probably have the easiest time single-targeting the banners and totems, since they can be taken out with just an arcane shot without requiring us to re-position. Make sure you have nameplates on so you can zap them quick.
  • If you're a moron like me and you get knocked off the tower by the arcing smash, you can disengage before hitting ground LIKE A BOSS and negate the falling damage. (Or just don't be a moron, which is the advice I hear most often from my RL.) 
  • Like 2

The Fallen Protectors

- Use your Deterrence to "tank" He Softfoot's desperate measure: Mark of Anguish. You can hold it for 10 seconds on yourself without getting any noticeable damage ( at least not when you have glyphed it ). Of course you can't do any damage either in that time, but sometimes a hunter has to do, what a hunter has to do. In the end your raidleader makes the call if the Mark is just being passed to one of the tanks, but if not Deterrence comes in handy.

Sha of Pride

- Taunt the Reflections away from the tank and in cleave / aoe - range with Distracting Shot. I haven't tried to use my pets Growl or Misdirection for that case, but Distracting Shot works just fine. 

- I too recommend to use the talent Posthaste for that fight, it gives you a great mobility for releasing a prisoner or just getting out of stuff

• Like 2

When jumping off towers on galakras if you disengage before landing you will stop yourself taking fall damage.

Casting binding arrow on the groups of bonecrushers will instantly stun them when they try to cast fracture. Saves your npcs some health and keeps them stacked for aoe.

On iron juggernaut in p2 you can help increase the space available for your raid by positioning away from them and using disengage mid knock back to stop yourself getting knocked out of range.

On siege crafter blackfuse you can disengage from the assembly belt back to the main area. I found this quicker and easier then jumping into the tubes.

Edited by Noima
  • Like 2

Galakras

1. if you get thrown of tower - either disengage before you land Or do a fast spin and disengage back to tower.

2. I didn't have a chance to check it but I need to test POWERSHOT on top of tower and see if the knockin is possible.

• Like 1

Iron Juggernaut

• Deterrence will negate the knockback from Shock Pulse. It's ridiculous how good Deterrence is for everything.
  • Deterrence can also be used to help mitigate the damage from jumping on a mine, but this should only be done in a clutch moment when more suitable classes can't get to it. 
Edited by Metaneira
  • Like 1

Kor'kron Dark Shaman

• I ended up switching from BM to Surv on this because my raid needed more DPS on the adds. 
  • Binding Shot will stun the slimes. Binding Shot is my new favorite talent. 
  • I specced Barrage for this, but Barrage tends to find any bit of trash your raid may have skipped and pull it. (This may not be a problem for non-stupid hunters, but, well, that's not the case with me.)

General Nazgrim

• Oh boy. Get ready to use every single one of your buttons, hunters!
  • Binding shot! It'll stun any of the adds. My raid split up stunning abilities, so our rogue would always lock down the shaman and I'd stun and kite the brostorm guys. YMMV.
  • Kor'kron Ironblades need to be tanked. My pet did an okay job with this, and I had decent luck just kiting him around using binding shot and concussive shot. 
  • Interrupts! Again, we split duties for these so I used all my counter shots on the Kor'kron Arcweavers, trusting that other raid members would be able to interrupt the heal.
  • Scatter Shot will also interrupt the Kor'kron Arcweaver. Your interrupt priority is Magistrike but the Arcane Shocks are no picnic, either.
  • Tranq shot on whoever has Earth Shield ASAP. 
  • The Kor'kron Assassins are stealthed, but will mark their target before breaking that stealth. I experimented with popping flare on the target to help them find the rogue ASAP, but I'm honestly not sure how well that worked. It does break the stealth but it wastes more than a global to do.
  • I can't imagine doing this fight without Crouching Tiger, the deterrence glyph, and the liberation glyph. But maybe other players aren't as terrible as I am. ;)

Most of these are just things I found helped with learning the fights -- I expect after a week or two I won't be quite so panicky.

Norushen

=Deterrence will allow you to run through the beam (Blinded Hatred I believe its called), or even to reduce downtime, deterrence, disengage (through the beam) and then cancel aura and carry on nuking.

---It is more than possible as a hunter to just circle the boss but in our group we stack on a certain point whenever possible. This is the quickest way I found to get back to that point when the beam is moving across it.

=Also if a Manifestation dies where the beam is going to sweep across, and you are on duty to pick it up, deterrence and run for it, reducing the aoe dmg on the raid through the orb being absorbed asap.

=BM is good for this boss if you are doing the trial (and what self respecting hunter wouldn't be!) as the pet automatically stands behind the add, making it so if you mess up on positioning, you can still do a nice portion of dps with your pet.

Blink Strikes is good for the amount of target switching.

Galakras

Barrage (BM or SV both have awesome aoe as long as you maintain regular multishots as BM to keep the cleave up)

Dont forget to trap (explosive as well as Ice, also Binding Shot can be useful)

Kor'Kron Dark Shaman

Barrage again.

Ice trap on slimes

Binding shot on slimes also when possible (if they are grouped quite nicely / when they spawn)

Edited by Xinto
  • Like 1

Barrage (BM or SV both have awesome aoe as long as you maintain regular multishots as BM to keep the cleave up)

Yeah, I finally got my legendary cloak tonight and can pull decent AOE numbers now. (I switched mains mid ToT for my raid.)

Sha of Pride

- For Self-Reflection, I keep an explosive trap dropped right in the middle of the stack point and right after the self-reflection cast, disengage out of group, MD to pet (macroed) and barrage the adds, they melt pretty quickly.

- Distracting shot very useful to pull loose adds off of the tank.

Galakras

- Can't stress enough how wonderful disengage is for this fight, sooner you get down off of the tower (whether intentional or not) the better. 

- Binding shot should be used on cd whenever the bonecrushers are up.  Scattershot useful if they get away.

- Generally keep an explosive trap and ice trap down in the middle of where Jaina casts her AOE.

- Recommend SV for this fight mainly for the constant adds

Malkorok

- Again, glyph of deterrence and liberation are musts so you can soak the puddles without losing the ancient barrier or any life and get it charged back up quickly

Spoils of Pandaria

- For set to blow, you can deterrence through a large group of bombs to clear up room.  With glyph of deterrence you take at least 3 charges on yourself, 4 if you're full health, without having to the bombs.   

- Also, for set to blow, if you just back up against the wall (with disengage) then you can drop of the bombs quickly but control where they drop. 

- BM spec'ed for this since you need to be able to burst down single ads and still be able to cleave when necessary.

Thok

- Should be every hunter's favorite fight since we don't get interrupted and can maintain almost full uptime on Thok.

- Have MD macroed to the tank since the adds hit really hard and the tanks are usually a little behind the group when initially spreading out for Blood Frenzy. 

- Recommend posthaste - the speed boost allows you to get away quickly as soon as you (or any baddie running towards you) gets fixated.

- Keep tranq shot on the ready to dispel enrage off the adds.  I'm usually only targeting the adds if our rogue is fixated. 

Edited by Cbrown3877
  • Like 1

Spoils of Pandaria

Remember to bring your bloodlust pet and BM spec if you only have 1 mage or shaman in your raidgroup, since bloodlust doesn't reach players on both sides at once. 

I'm going to list some uses for ability_whirlwind.jpgDeterrence

(although you may already know these from testing this OP ability on every boss in every situation):

Immerseus:

• Prevents damage from explosions when adds reach center
  • Prevents damage from spell_frost_summonwaterelemental.jpgSwirl, both ground and boss effect
  • HEROIC: Prevents damage from the sha_spell_fire_felfire.jpgSha Pool during Phase 2 while also keeping the pool from growing

The Fallen Protectors:

Norushen:

• Will not prevent damage from pretty much anything here, (IIRC it used to deflect the sha_ability_mage_firestarter.jpgBlind Hatred)

Sha of Pride:

Galakras:

• Another fight where Deterrence has minimal uses

Iron Juggernaut:

• As stated, prevents knockback and damage from spell_nature_earthquake.jpgShock Pulse
  • Prevents damage from spell_nature_earthquake.jpgSeismic Activity
  • Will NOT allow for free mine-jumping (you will still take 70% (50% Glyphed) of the damage from stomping mines)

Dark Shaman:

General Nazgrim:

• Will NOT prevent damage from ability_warrior_rampage.jpgWar Song, but will reduce the damage taken
  • Prevents damage from Kor'kron Ironblades' classicon_warrior.jpgIronstorm

Malkorok:

• Prevents damage from spell_nature_earthquake.jpgSeismic Slam
  • Prevents damage from spell_shadow_shadesofdarkness.jpgBreath of Y'Shaarj
  • IIRC prevents damage from racial_orc_berserkerstrength.jpgBlood Rage
  • HEROIC: Prevents damage from Orbs of Corruption (taken from Icy Veins' own guide to Malkorok's Heroic mode)

Spoils of Pandaria:

• Yet another fight where Deterrence has minimal uses. (Haven't tested using Deterrence with inv_misc_bomb_05.jpgSet to Blow bombs. Try at your own risk.)

Thok the Bloodhirsty:

• Nothing to see here, move along

Siegecrafter Blackfuse:

Paragons of the Klaxxi:

• Will NOT prevent being creatureportrait_garalon.jpgDevour by Kunchongs
  • Haven't really tested Deterrence on any other parts in this fight.

Garrosh Hellscream:

Oh boy, this is one hell of a fight for Deterrence! In this fight it will:

EDIT: Clarified reactions to some boss abilities
EDIT 2: Added icons to links and made the list look better overall (yes, I was bored)

EDIT 3-4: Added some HC mode uses

Edited by Niittipyssy
  • Like 1

Nice deterrance list

Just a couple of points I would like to add my thoughts on.

Immerseus - very useful for negating dmg and knockback (as you said)

The Fallen Protectors - it does negate damage from Mark of Anguish if you are targetted with it so you can have 10 sec of damage mitigation.

Norushen - shame Blind Hatred has been changed, didn't know about this so will test at my detriment next time I get chance.

Galakras - distracting shot any stray adds for tank fails downstairs and even better for any tower aggro issues while getting to the top. Specifically they healer ripping the adds off the tank if you charge up the tower.

Still not as useful as most other circumstances in the list.

General Nazgrim - it does work on the IronBlades IronStorm and its useful forthe Assasains initial attacks or if you need to turn away from them to move elsewhere by any means.

Spoils - it DOES work very well on the bombs. I usually drop them all, let them activate then put deterrence up and charge through them / disengage into them to set them all off. Can work equally well with organised raids where there are lots placed in one area and you clear the area with a well placed and timed disengage.

Paragons - it still is useful as a damage reduction if you are mesmerised by a kunchong (worth noting, not that you said otherwise) And it is worth popping if you have to run through the tanked adds for any reason (not that you should with proper positioning), to avoid excessive cleave damage.

Garrosh ... priceless!

Thanks for the guide Niittipyssy

• Like 1

Hi, I'm a 559 BM hunter, been raiding 10m for around 2 months so far. Here are some of my tips for each boss we've killed so far (i'm kinda the guy they make do all the mechanics sad.png )

Immerseus

- Use ice trap to slow many, Intimidation for any that are getting too close to the center

- Use disengage and posthaste so that you can go around and help others if you are done with your blobs

- Deterrence helps the healers if you use it while the blobs are getting to the center

Protectors

- Get Barrage. This will help get a little aoe damage done

- When switching targets, ctrl+1 RIGHT AWAY so that the pet gets to the boss sooner

Norushen

- Barrage  helps for this, especially when lots of adds are up

- Your pet automatically goes behind the shielded mobs in the cleanse stage, once they're behind it use kill command to (hopefully) kill it while you target another one

- Just remember, adds first!

Sha of Pride

- 5 seconds before the reflections come, use firetrap where you know they will be, unless you have the glyph

- Barrage helps

Galakras

- Go towers with barrage. You can drop down with no fall damage using Disengage.

- Go to the first tower when you're shooting down galakras. Spirit bond lets you heal up while you use aspect of the cheetah to get to the top quicker.

- Use Glyph of Flame Trap to instantly knock back enemies fracturing friendly bosses.

Iron Juggernaut

- You can stand on the spike of the catapult to the right of the boss - you will not be knocked back and you don't have to move from tar.

Dark Shaman

- Barrage and binding shot help if you're not 3-tanking it (which I highly recommend).

Nazgrim

- Same as Shaman

- Use Flare to see the rogues quicker

Malkorok

- Just like Immerseus, if there's no pools near you you can disengage to help others, especially on 10man

Spoils

- Use a bloodlust pet if nobody on your side can lust, otherwise use a buff pet

- Barrage is awesome

- Help out the tank by misdirectioning him and opening the far pandaria box so that he can go straight to what he needs

Thok

- Our group is struggling on this, but Disengage helps. I don't think Deterrence helps when you're fixated. You can get rid of the enrage on the jailers, too, but our tanks like the vengeance

Siegecrafter

- Use disengage to get off the assembly line

- Use A Murder of Crows to solo every other assembly line

i'll update this as our group progresses. Good luck guys!

Edited by Huuhan
  • Like 1

General Nazgrim:

Just tried that one out on normal, because it always seemed to me like Deterrence worked on War song. It does work, you take 50% less damage ( in my case that was about 170k ), so I think you should take that one out.

Otherwise it's a good list of the multiple uses of Deterrence.

Just tried that one out on normal, because it always seemed to me like Deterrence worked on War song. It does work, you take 50% less damage ( in my case that was about 170k ), so I think you should take that one out.

50% when glyphed ;)

50% when glyphed wink.png

Yeah, but the point was more that it works on War Song, if you got the Glyph or not. Of course it's only 30% if you don't use the Glyph of Deterrence, which I hereby highly recommend.

• Like 1

Yeah, but the point was more that it works on War Song, if you got the Glyph or not. Of course it's only 30% if you don't use the Glyph of Deterrence, which I hereby highly recommend.

Prevent =/= reduce. I did not claim that Deterrence will not reduce damage from War Song, instead, I said that it doesn't prevent it (a.k.a. you will not deflect/be immune to it). Updated the original post to be a bit more clear on that

Edited by Niittipyssy

Prevent =/= reduce. I did not claim that Deterrence will not reduce damage from War Song, instead, I said that it doesn't prevent it (a.k.a. you will not deflect/be immune to it). Updated the original post to be a bit more clear on that

Alright, it sounded to me like you meant Deterrence wont reduce any of the damage dealt by War Song. I misunderstood that one, it's more clear after your update (:

• Like 1

Immerseus

• Pet despawn:  NOT taking blink strike as a talent seems to help, after chosing another talent I didnt have to resummon my pet pet 15 times each fight anymore.
  • I couldnt use the tactic by standing behind the boss as suggested earlier in this thread as it was a 10man hc fight. I would be out of healer range then.

Been raiding SoO for a bit and recently have gotten to 6/14 Heroics so far.  You guys missed a few uses of deterrence that should be mentioned imo.  These include using Deterrence on Sha of Pride during Swelling Pride to avoid taking a huge damage hit, it will be deflected entirely.  

Also, while Deterrence can be used to deflect effects on Iron Juggernaut the raid group I run with relies on me to jump on a mine during each phase 1.  This lets me use one charge for that and then save a charge for emergencies.

On Malkorok I save deterrence for times when I have to jump into a puddle and I don't have a green bubble debuff.  Puddles can be deflected entirely and if you don't use a cancel aura macro you can deflect a knock up if Malk chooses you to get hit by one.

Last of all I don't think anybody mentioned that during Paragons if you get targeted by Aim then you can use feign death to make him cancel the effect w/o actually hitting you or anybody in the path of the laser.

Hunter Tips from my relatively noobish alt....

Immerseus - pets tend to out range you if you're on the outer edge of the room.  Fight closer to Immerseus and you won't have this issue.  Deterrence can completely reflect the adds blowing up upon reaching the center as well as an entire Swirl burst.

Protectors - Deterrence can be used to absorb the damage done from He's Desperate Measures Anguish add.  Other players should be utilized since Det stops all damage done by you, but it can and should be used if needed.

Sha of Pride - Deterrence Swelling Pride or closing Rifts.  If you stand in between two of the jailing circles, a jump + Disengage will land you on the outer most unlocking pad.  This is used for extremely swift unlocking of teammates.

Galakras - when jumping off the towers, using Disengage at low altitudes will remove all falling damage (seems obvious, but sometimes people forget)

Iron Juggernaut - Deterrence blocks the knockback from Sonic Pulse.  This can be extremely helpful to healers in preventing the damage going out to you.

Dark Shamans - Deterrence will completely block the Iron Prison debuff in Heroic mode.  However, if you are picked 3 times in a row, you will need an external cooldown from a healer or a Paladin/Warrior (Hand of Sacrifice/Vigiliance)

Nazgrim - Scatter Shot will stop the Ironblade from doing his Whirlwind attack.  It's nice when he's on someone and you can interrupt all of his damage. 

Malkorok - You can use Deterrence to completely avoid damage from absorping Implosion puddles as well as Breath of Y'saarj.  If you are caught out of position, just use Deterrence for the BoY attack. 

Spoils - Deterrence can be used to defuse bombs on the ground.  Simply pop Det and run over them.  This is good to use if someone dropped bombs in an ill-advised position.

Thok - Widow Venom can be used to prevent 25% of the heal Thok gets when eating an NPC in Heroic Mode. 

Siegecrafter - you can disengage off of the piple onto the belt in order to do every single belt.  Deterrence can be used to block Overcharge damage.

Paragons - Feign Death will completely remove Aim.  You can use a Freezing Trap to catch a Parasite and get a free Lock and Load proc (if Survival).  Deterrence will lower the damage of Aim if you are stacking in it.  Unsure of Feign/Deterrence during a Kuchong Mesmerize.

Garrosh - Deterrence can be used to soak Malice explosions for its entire duration.  This is highly useful in Heroic mode.

Deter only reduces the damage taken from iron prison, the damage reduction is applied before absorbs are affected so it can seem like it blocks it all if you're completely shielded.

On Malk it only reduces the damage from breath and void soaking, it reacts very strangely with the shield though.

Feign and deter sadly don't work on the kunchongs.