FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Siege of Orgrimmar Protection Paladin Style

This thread is meant to collect useful pieces of information for Protection Paladins attempting bosses in the Siege of Orgrimmar. We will add some contributions ourselves and hope that the rest will come from comments in this thread smile.png

Table of Contents

Immerseus

Tips:

Links:

The Fallen Protectors

Tips:

Links:

Norushen

Tips:

Links:

Sha of Pride

Tips:

Links:

Galakras

Tips:

Links:

Iron Juggernaut

Tips:

Links:

Kor'kron Dark Shaman

Tips:

Links:

General Nazgrim

Tips:

Links:

Malkorok

Tips:

Links:

Spoils of Pandaria

Tips:

Links:

Thok the Bloodthirsty

Tips:

Links:

Siegecrafter Blackfuse

Tips:

Links:

Paragons of the Klaxxi

Tips:

Links:

Garrosh Hellscream

Tips:

Links:

Just from my own experience with the first four bosses:

Immerseus: inv_glyph_majorpaladin.jpgGlyph of Holy Wrath was great since it will stun the Sha Puddles, giving DPS and yourself more time to kill them. 

The Fallen Protectors: This fight was very tank light and I found no need to do anything special or different.

Norushen: ability_paladin_longarmofthelaw.jpgLong Arm of the Law was nice. I found it useful to have that quick burst of speed in order to avoid sha_spell_fire_blueimmolation.jpgTitanic Smash during the Test of Confidence.

Sha of Pride: ability_paladin_speedoflight.jpgSpeed of Light was wonderful since I found myself running everywhere to grab the Sha, unlock players from the Corrupted Prisons, and to help with the Manifestations of Pride.

Will add more on other bosses as I get to them.

• Like 1

Here's my experience so far:

Immerseus: Lay on hands on a friendly add to instantly full-heal it (or pretty close).

Spoils: Be extremely liberal with Hand of Salvation if any specific DPS are pulling threat by going hard too soon (Warriors with early burst cleaving were the usual suspects). I like speed of light for mistweaver spirit escaping, I think that Long Arm of the Law could work well too though. I would not glyph focused shield here.

Thok: Speed of Light is super useful to get out of his way in phase 2, and to get to the jailer. Glyphing Focused Shield is a good idea here.

Edited by mntbrrycrnch
  • Like 1

Galakras: Divine Shield scrubs the fire dot so if your raid has trouble (ie, all of them die), you can usually take him out just by keeping him in Jaina's blizzard and keeping yourself alive. Jaina's blizzard deals a large amount of damage is always placed in the same spot.

Edit: Apparently this is being removed if it hasn't already. Even with it in though, Hand ofPurity was still far and away the talent of choice.

Edit by Fouton: I've been able to bubble the debuff very recently, it was not removed.

Edited by Fouton
  • Like 1

For Sha of Pride I found Light's Hammer to be good for picking up the adds in the back; my co-tank and I alternated depending on which of us was actively tanking the boss, and LH was up every add spawn.  Just run to the back (we tank him in the front by the door, so we can both free people in prisons on 10M), drop LH, drop Cons, and then hit a HotR once the adds are targetable and they stuck to me like glue and usually died by the time I had to taunt the boss back for Wounded Pride.

• Like 1

The Fallen Protectors

Glyphs: Alabaster Shield, Divine Protection, Focused Shield for tanking He and Double Jeopardy for tanking Rook.

Talents: UBS, DP, HP

• Like 1

Hello

Thok: Divine Shield removes Debuff stacks (full ofc).

it removes everything except Panic

still useful for removing the freezing breath though

• Like 1

Experience: 14/14 normal, 2/14 HC

Immerseus: Use Speed of light to quickly get to adds or avoid swirl, fist of justice for longer stun on add. unbreakable spirit for the possibility of 2x lay on hands on healing adds if the fight goes on for a while or HC. Holy prism for aoe/burst healing on adds.

Glyphs: Do not take glyph of divine protection. Blinding Light, Dazing Shield and Holy Wrath are all good for slow/stun on adds.

Protectors: Not much to say here, regular setup, maybe take final wrath for more dmg at the end. 

Norushen: Speed of light to quickly do a run around the boss when beam comes in so you get back in position.

Sha of Pride: Take light's hammer to use when self-reflection adds spawn

Galakras: Speed of light if you're taking tower, fist of justice, EF

Glyphs: do not take divine protection, final wrath biggest dps increase, do not take focused shield

Iron juggernaught: Speed of light/Long arm of the law for mines. Can use clemency to BOP others or yourself for mines.

Dark Shamans: Glyph of final wrath is good as you want the most dmg possible at the end.

Nasgrim: Nothing special

Malkorok: Do take Divine protection glyph. Holy avenger for 100% Sotr uptime during blood rage, Focused shield is the biggest dps increase here

Spoils: DP over HA

Thok: Speed of light to get to the jailer faster, HA is good for alot more Sotr uptime when you're tanking. Light's hammer is insane on this fight as it's heals for a ton when you have alot of vengeance. Take focused shield for more dmg, do not take Divine protection glyph.

Siegecrafter: HA can be good for 100% sotr for protection frienzy. Focused shield.

Klaxxi: Main thing here is that you take HA if you're tanking Rik'kal at the beggining so you don't get injection(?) cast on you without Sotr up.

Garrosh: Speed of light for transition in P2, EF over SS, unbreakable spirit for more Divine protection, Divine purpose over HA unless you're tanking Garrosh in P3 and not taking adds. Light's hammer vs Holy prism is personal preference, but Light's hammer is a good minor CD for Whirlwinds. Alabastar shield, divine protection is the best for sure. Last one is can be whatever you feel you need, but i prefer holy wrath

protector's

talents:

Clemency is quite nice as BoP remove garrote, use 1 of them quite faster after the fight start and than each time after He's desperate measures to eases the healers job. After the last desperate measures you can use both charges. and the extra sacrifice is nice for the people soaking the Embodied Anguish. 

SW. If tanking both He and Embodied Misery at the same time and the ground slam is causing issues, SW combined with LAotL should clear all the issues.

glyphs:

Any glyph that increases cleave dps is a good glyph. I haven't any survival issues tanking He, and my co-tank is saying Rook is tickling him.

Tip:

use devotion aura for Calamity. it reduces the damage by quite a lot

Dark Shamans:

Controlling the slimes if you are tanking Kardis can be done easily if you run in an arc while dropping consecrate, come back across it as you pick them up and Holy Wrath them to stun them all, letting the ranged AoE them down quickly.

Tip thanks to Jenyn-EarthenRing

Fallen Protectors [HC]:We found out that the most dmg incoming is from Sha Sear and not clamacy so i thought i might interrupt her. Just set her on focus. You have to make her to your focus everytime she use Dark Meditation. I made a macro for Avenger's Shield to interrupt Sun when he cast "Sha Sear"

#showtooltip Avenger's Shield
/cast [@focus] Avenger's Shield

In my opinion the easiest Boss on heroic after Galakras

Garrosh: Use "Sacred Shield", even if you have T16 4P Bonus. I got a lot of healing aggro from "Eternal Flame" because of the amount of vengance in this fight (~60-80% vengance) espacially if you solo Tank him. Use Glyph of Holy Wrath if you 2Tank this for kiting adds.

Edited by Brainafk

Interrupting Sha Sear makes her change targets and recast, It's best to let it cast so that it doesnt recast onto a clump of people and do even more damage. That's especially true on 25man. Interrupting Sha Sear is best used for people who aren't paying attention and wont move it out of the raid.

As for Sacred Shield vs Eternal Flame on Garrosh, if you don't intend to tank any of the adds and don't want threat, its best to remove Righteous Fury when empowered swirls happen, so that the raid can deal with them, then you can reapply Righteous Fury for future ysaarj rooms or attempts. Eternal Flame will be a more valuable healing ability in comparison to Sacred Shield, especially when you're taking frequent and fast melee swings and dot ticks.

Solo Tanking + Light's Hammer

Thok:

Cast Light's Hammer on the stacked raid, this provides a powerful AoE HoT.

This helps to stall until blood frenzy and can help greatly when the healers are struggling with the interrupts.

Garrosh:

Phase 1, Light's Hammer on the stack when there are adds+desecrate, this provides great raid healing and aoe damage.

Transition Phase, Light's Hammer centred on Garrosh, most players should be near Garrosh so it should be effective.

• Like 1