FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Darkkonan

Eternal Flame vs. Sacred Shield in 5.4

The ret paladin in my guild will use Selfless Healer at times and in my eyes he is one of the best I've played with. He's the definition of a ret paladin. He stated that using Selfless Healer is basically a mini LOH. He does a great job at keeping an eye on the tanks and has quick reflex's to dump the 3 charge SH heal on the tanks (or whomever) for a quick heal. Since I am still new to ret, I usually tend to keep an eye on myself rather than others at the moment :P

20% phys reduction glyph is great depending on the fight. If there is high magic damage then you wouldn't want the glyph since 40% is amazing (plus there's always a devotion aura).

I just really want to stress that it should not be your responsibility to keep an eye on the tanks. Using an EF here and there is helpful but you are DPS, not a healer. If it is becoming tough for the tanks to stay alive, you should communicate this to your healers. 

• Like 2

Indeed, the EF vs SS conversation in terms of ret should only be considered in certain scenarios, as SH is the best talent for ret. EF costs too much DPS (holy power), and SS is 1 GCD every 30 seconds (though with ret's rotation you can always find a hole to put it out).

It's a fair amount of preference if you don't mind some DPS losses in certain situations, or if you need to do something silly like Holy Avenger EF blanketing the raid for a heavy raid damage section (I can't think of any situation this would save a raid compared to how bad it'd destroy your dps)

If you seem to hit scenarios where you need to put out more healing, tell them to make another class do it, as ret paladins are one of the lesser hybrids in pulling out useful heals from nowhere. (In my opinion)

That's a very good point Fouton. Druids have tranquility, Warriors have banner and Priests have that one burst heal I forget.. vampuric touch? (Just to name a few).

Anyway. I'm going to keep arguing that you are going above and beyond (not in a good one) to helping the raid. There are more than enough raid mitigation CD's, healthstone and personal CD's that can be used instead of having the ret paladin pop Holy avenger and EF blanket the raid.

Edited by Geoda
  • Like 2