FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Slideri

Frost or Fire?

With your gear, you're approaching the necessary ratings to perform well as fire.  There are some glaring problems with your enchants that would squeeze much more dps out of your performances than simply picking the slightly better spec.

I haven't seen a ton of fire mages to compare but i'm really happy with the way frost is going right now.  Reforged and regemmed through AMR and i'm putting up good numbers.  If Fire is ahead I don't think it's too crazy of a lead to not play the spec you like the most. 

Atm checking world of logs 25 man normals frost is way behind fire and arcane, Fire and Arcane are about even but for fire you are going to need at least 40% crit due to the rng factor and you just need the crit to increase your chance of critting as your biggest ignites are from pyroblast crits to combust. 

I prefer frost as I like the procs and arcane is too stagnate in my opinion. as for fire its very rng but alot of fun when you are getting those crits.

Also notice you arent 23% crit its required if you want your frostfire and icelance procs to always crit but Im assuming you are trying mastery for now?

Just checked arcane on one lfr raid... and doing bad dps :< Frost was better for me. ofc did reforgs/gems etc.

We have a mage who has been playing Frost for all of Pandaria. He has tried on his own to play Fire on some bosses and said he wasn't happy with his DPS. I went into WoL and saw that he just didn't know what he was doing.. 75% uptime on IE, 50% on Living Bomb, and even missed a potential Combustion cast. I tried to point it out, but he decided to just stick with frost since in his mind, he couldn't play Fire. My point is that of course you're not going to get good numbers if you only do one raid and if you don't blow the spec you've been playing for months out of the water, you give up. Arcane seems like an easy spec on the surface, but in a raid situation, it will feel like you're constantly being prevented from playing optimally, so you learn how to deal with it and salvage your output when the going gets rough. There's no substitute for practice and experience.

Edited by Tarazet
  • Like 1