FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kazistrasz

Timeless Isle Mobs

So, it's been a while since I had to really solo a lot of non-trivial mobs. All of my Black Prince rep was killing enough stuff I could grab them all and AoE the life out of them. My quest mob soloing to level in MoP was much the same, or just two shotting everything with Chaos Bolt/Shadowburn.

The mobs for rep, however, scare the living snot out of me. They also kill the living snot out of me. For the record, I'm going as Aff with GoSup and Voidlord w/ Demon Training, and they're even killing the pet before they then charge me, stun me, and drop that thing on me for well over 1mil. Now, maybe I'm just not used to the massive survivability nerf with Soul Leech/Siphon Life yet in terms of taking big hits, but I'm really at a loss here on how to handle all of these mobs that seem to hit like trucks.

Thoughts?

I recommend Destruction if you can manage it.  The reason being is Soul Leech.  You are able to stack up a shield so fast that your pet is basically invincible unless you're fighting a high priest of Ordos.

So, it's been a while since I had to really solo a lot of non-trivial mobs. All of my Black Prince rep was killing enough stuff I could grab them all and AoE the life out of them. My quest mob soloing to level in MoP was much the same, or just two shotting everything with Chaos Bolt/Shadowburn.

The mobs for rep, however, scare the living snot out of me. They also kill the living snot out of me. For the record, I'm going as Aff with GoSup and Voidlord w/ Demon Training, and they're even killing the pet before they then charge me, stun me, and drop that thing on me for well over 1mil. Now, maybe I'm just not used to the massive survivability nerf with Soul Leech/Siphon Life yet in terms of taking big hits, but I'm really at a loss here on how to handle all of these mobs that seem to hit like trucks.

Thoughts?

Most of the non-rare mobs have avoidable/mitigatible mechanics.

Giant rock dudes constantly throw rocks, move out of them.

Tigers leap, move.

Cloud Serpents do two abilities: Flame breath in a fixed direction (where you or your pet is standing), or hurls balls of fire.

The guys that spawn the kilns: Kill the kiln, and move side to side for his ground-line ability. 

Guy that spawns golem: Ignore golem dps wise, run away while killing the guy that summoned him.

Execute mechanics, you won't get hit like a truck.

Edited by Rakupenda

Most of the non-rare mobs have avoidable/mitigatible mechanics.

Giant rock dudes constantly throw rocks, move out of them.

Tigers leap, move.

Cloud Serpents do two abilities: Flame breath in a fixed direction (where you or your pet is standing), or hurls balls of fire.

The guys that spawn the kilns: Kill the kiln, and move side to side for his ground-line ability. 

Guy that spawns golem: Ignore golem dps wise, run away while killing the guy that summoned him.

Execute mechanics, you won't get hit like a truck.

I can execute mechanics, my problems are more along the lines of my pet getting gibbed and then getting charged/stunned where the big million-damage thing hits as the stun wears off.

Thoughts?

I have had great success with the following:

Destro spec, Grim of Sup/VoidLord, Soul Leech.

Position yourself for the pull.  The mogu charge mechanic has a minimum range beneath which they wont charge. It seems to be about 10 yards.  Edge up, send in the pet and pull with CoE.  Place yourself out of their direct line and at least 10 yards away to avoid their initial mechanics as the pet gains aggro.  Sufficient dps will ensure the pet takes almost no damage.  For the big fire elementals, stay at max range to out range the conal and easily side step the thin line attacks.  Most mogu do their first special a second or two after the pull.  If PetAttack and get charged anyway, you stand a good chance of recovering in time to avoid the special.  The berzerker has melee range specials, the other one either conal or a thin long line directly ahead.   Red Cloud serpents breathe a couple seconds after the pull, so sidestep. 

The one I find really tough are the summoners.  Soloing them has been frustrating as the pet gets hammered or else the elemental chases me.  Taking KJC and incinerating on the move and kiting works ok on those, but a group is best.  The summoned elementals seem to despawn after a time.  I've seen rogues interrupt those summoning casts so Shadowfury might work.

Edited by faragorn

Affliction has ramp up because our most powerful DoT doesn't really outshine UA until it's at a 10 stack.  Even then, UA holds its own.  For questing, Destro/Demo ftw.