FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
vaeevictiss

so this shard regen buff...

so after finally raiding last night, i can definitely say that something is wrong. there were very large gaps of time where i had no shards. I know they nerfed it so only the last corruption will trigger nightfall but on the 2nd fight there were times that i had no shards for a good 30-45 seconds. I ended up having to hard cast dots on all the adds. 

On the AOE trash pulls after them, it was even worse. I would dot everything up then maybe i was lucky to get 2 shards the rest of that pull to fire off SoC. 

This cant just be me.

Edited by vaeevictiss

I'll admit that shard regen feels weird on Multi-target. But reading what you describe here, it sounds like you're trying to SB:SS the adds. What you should be doing for example on Norushen, is to SB:SS the Amalgamation of Corruption and to SB/SB:Exhale to the adds to get your "strong" DoTs onto the adds and then you can use shards for haunt on the boss and adds if you choose to. I personally like to use Haunt all the time on the boss doing this and if I have enough shards (which I usually do) I'll dump them on the adds for more damage and then just get them back with DS. But in single target, Nightfall feels right in terms of shard regen.
Hope this info helps. :)

What Blazybear said. You shouldn't use SB:SS all that much, especially in add situations where you can just SS the dots around.

Doing the same thing I did on Protectors this week...I was using my SB SS macro on all 3.  When the fight was over, I felt like I had betrayed my own class.  I realized immediately why my Haunt time was so low and why it felt like keeping DoTs on everything was a chore. 

LEARN THE NEW SOUL SWAP.  IT WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE HAPPY.

So I'm just getting back into affliction once again (and the game in general too), but to make sure I've been reading this right, you only want to SB:SS only on the initial pull and maybe to put up DoTs up once you have procs (otherwise hard cast). After that just SS without using SB for adds and for refreshing?

Also, I've been reading at various places that it's looking like for the execution phase to just build up soul shards and then spam haunt. Have any of you been doing this?

So I'm just getting back into affliction once again (and the game in general too), but to make sure I've been reading this right, you only want to SB:SS only on the initial pull and maybe to put up DoTs up once you have procs (otherwise hard cast). After that just SS without using SB for adds and for refreshing?

Also, I've been reading at various places that it's looking like for the execution phase to just build up soul shards and then spam haunt. Have any of you been doing this?

Eh, not so much.

First off, the new Soul Swap maintains *all* the power of the DoT's from the intial target you're copying (important wording here, it's no longer a cut/paste, it's a copy/paste).  The really important thing to know is that it also transfers the remaining duration of your initial target.  You can't, as you've said, refresh your DoT's with only SS.  I recommend hard casting your DoT's in the opener and MG while waiting for all procs, then SB:SS to max out the duration of your DoT's.  If it's a cleave fight, at this point you will now SS your longer duration and super powered DoT's onto the other targets.

As for saving Soul Shards for the execute phase, I wouldn't worry about that.  You should still be using Drain Soul while maintaining Haunt the entire time.

Eh, not so much.

First off, the new Soul Swap maintains *all* the power of the DoT's from the intial target you're copying (important wording here, it's no longer a cut/paste, it's a copy/paste). The really important thing to know is that it also transfers the remaining duration of your initial target. You can't, as you've said, refresh your DoT's with only SS. I recommend hard casting your DoT's in the opener and MG while waiting for all procs, then SB:SS to max out the duration of your DoT's. If it's a cleave fight, at this point you will now SS your longer duration and super powered DoT's onto the other targets.

As for saving Soul Shards for the execute phase, I wouldn't worry about that. You should still be using Drain Soul while maintaining Haunt the entire time.

Ok. And after the SB to extend DoT times I want to save shards for haunts, correct? Thanks for the help.

Edited by Omaric

Yep.  You want to save shards for when you know your DoT's are powerful.  Unless you're swimming in shards from casting Drain Soul on dying adds or get lucky with Nightfall procs.

Awesome. I think I have it straight in my head now. I knew I was doing something wrong and that I wasn't quite getting something. I'll try this all out when I get home and hopefully I see a dps increase. Thanks for all your help.