FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
WhyteTyger

Am I the worst Windwalker ever? I might just be.

I am going to have to break the rules for asking for advice slightly since I do not have a combat log yet, but I wanted to get some quick advice from anyone who might be able to provide it. Also apparently my character is not listed on the Armory? I'll link the pertinent information once I get home, but while I am at work and bored, here is the gist of the issue.

I am a pretty casual player, so I have found LFR wonderful for my style of play. It requires some coordination, but since I am not the most hardcore of the hardcore, I am not leading my group to their imminent death each time I queue. To get an idea of how poorly I might be doing, I use Recount for a rough estimation of how much I am helping out. I am not expecting to ever top the charts, since I likely will never set foot in a heroic raid, but if I can hover around the 10th spot, I am usually pretty pleased with myself (this is typically where my Hunter lies). However, my poor monk is quite often closer to 18th position, usually right above the healers.

I am unsure of exactly what I might be doing wrong. I do not have incredible gear, but I was able to get a bunch of the Timeless Isle epics for him, and have benefited greatly from the increased loot chance from the earlier MoP raids. I realize I do not have enchantments on most equipment, or much gems, mostly since I assume I'll be getting better gear sooner rather than later. I DO try to reforge my gear however (I believe I just picked up a new pair of... boots, I think, that still haven't been reforged since I played last, but otherwise they should be good).

I follow the rotation as listed. My talent choices are slightly different I now notice, since I still have Momentum and Power Strikes. Perhaps these two changes are single handedly my problem, but I am going to assume they might contribute but that is all. I got WeakAuras to help with tracking how often I need to be using Tiger Palm and Rising Sun Kick.

And despite this, I saw another monk player in the Wind Lord Mel'jarak fight last night do nearly 30k more damage than me (if I read recount correctly), despite her weapon only being blue. I know I should have messaged her to get an idea of what she might be doing right, but the raid progressed at a fairly quick pace and I didn't want to hold anyone up. The only thing i noticed from Recount is that she used Rushing Jade Wind and it was listed as her top damage dealing ability, and I did not choose that talent.

Sorry I am missing some critical information, I'll add that after getting a log tonight. Thanks for anyone who looks into this in the meantime, but I am fine with waiting.

-WT

To start off, Every character is in the armory. maybe you are looking at the wrong armory, there just so happen to be two armory's one for US and one for EU. If You're a US player, you will not be able to find yourself in the EU armory and vice versa.

the first thing I'm going to adress is gemming/enchanting your gear.

I can imagine that as a casual player you probably wont gem/enchant to full (this is however advised in pretty much any setting since it provides alot more throughput) Maybe you should try to gem/enchant your highest il items. i.e. the items you're like to keep longest.

besides gemming/enchanting it is also useful to upgrade your items, it only costs 250 valor per upgrade totaling 500 per item. just do this with a couple of items.

moving on to talents,

Rushing jade wind is a VERY powerfull talent. But this limits to stacked situations.

If the raid needs to be spread out RJW will lose pretty much all of its potential. but for fights like megaera (during rampage) or Sha of Pride where the raid stacks up RJW will definately be the top choice.

overall Power strikes provide the best chi gain, despite this in most cases it is better to go for Chi brew, since it can be used on demand you will have more control over your chi. PS is an internal cooldown and is more 'unpredictable'.

Momentum is not very usefull in most encounters, there are some encounters where it will help but in most cases you are better off using either Celerity (especially if you use your chi torpedo often). Tigers lust is also good for usage on some encounters.

Finally I was wondering what your t6 talent is. Chi torpedo is quite nice but often Xuen is a better choice.

Hope this helped

Alright so I found my armory link by actually logging in and getting it from there. You absolutely could be right about having searched the wrong countries Armory, I had not even considered that.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kirin-tor/N%C3%A1ga/simple

So, yes, I definitely still have some blues (and a green!) but my Hunter started off even worse but seemed to do better through LFR. I realize they are different classes, but considering HOW low my damage has been, I worried I am doing something wrong.

I will go ahead and grab some gems for the purple items that are at least 496, and I'll attempt to change around my talents. I picked Xuen for the t6, mostly because my handle is Whyte Tyger and this allows me to get an amazing looking white tiger pet (albeit briefly), but also since IV seemed to confirm it was often the best choice.

Shine, keep in mind that he is playing windwalker, not mistweaver.

When reading your suggestions (like RJW for megaera and the use of chi torpedo) it seems like you were suggesting what to use for healing because windwalker never will use chi torpedo and megaera is a single target fight where RJW will not help at all.

If you knew this, I apologize and please continue.

Yes I knew this, and I do notice when I read back, I play mistweaver myself I guess I got carried away ^^

It looks like a gear setup issue to me. Just by properly optimizing, enchanting and gemming your existing gear in Ask Mr. Robot the "total score" rises by some 20%, and that includes a boost by 10% in static Agility and 6% more Haste. That will substantially affect the numbers you see, as long as you are, in fact, executing the rotation properly (most folks who claim they do are really not, which is why we ask for logs to examine).

The easiest thing you can do at this point is to pick some herbs until you cap out and get the most powerful Lifeblood. Use it on cooldown. Do as much optimizing of your gear as you're comfortable spending gold on (i.e. no Dancing Steel on the 450 weapon). Get on a dummy with the IV priority list printed out and pay attention to how well you are spending stacks of Tigerseye Brew and using Energizing Brew.

Edited by Tarazet

Since I have no idea about monks, just some small tips regarding your armory:

1. You are not at the hit cap. This will decrease your damage "dramatically"

2. You should think of enchants and gems as an OFFSET to lower ilevels and not as an reward for high iLvl gear. Also, there are cheap version of enchants and gems, which would still boost your damage

3. You are above the expertise cap, which is basically a "waste" of points

So i will admit that I have apparently been doing the hit rating wrong. I knew there was a cap, and I knew it was some numerical number, but i figured that when it told me that I had a 0.00 percent chance to miss that would be the same as the cap. Good to know that is not the case.

I also had not realized my herbalism hadn't been capped out yet. I do use it for the haste buff whenever I remember it is there, but I can definitely work on picking some more of those while waiting for LFR to come up.

I did grab some gems, and one enchant for some of my gear last night. But the blues and the meta were close to 1k a piece, and while I could afford those i'd rather wait to see if I'll get something slightly better through ToT first.

Thanks again everyone, I'll work on this some more tonight to see if I can creep a little higher up the charts.

So i will admit that I have apparently been doing the hit rating wrong. I knew there was a cap, and I knew it was some numerical number, but i figured that when it told me that I had a 0.00 percent chance to miss that would be the same as the cap. Good to know that is not the case.

I also had not realized my herbalism hadn't been capped out yet. I do use it for the haste buff whenever I remember it is there, but I can definitely work on picking some more of those while waiting for LFR to come up.

I did grab some gems, and one enchant for some of my gear last night. But the blues and the meta were close to 1k a piece, and while I could afford those i'd rather wait to see if I'll get something slightly better through ToT first.

Thanks again everyone, I'll work on this some more tonight to see if I can creep a little higher up the charts.

Don't skimp on the meta. 3% extra critical damage, plus completing the +180 Agi socket bonus makes it the best upgrade you can get.

But 1000+ each time I need to buy it (I am not very far on the legendary quest at all)! And I actually just updated my helm last night, so I would have already lost the benefit from it. I don't mind buying it once I have a slightly more stable head spot (as I do now). There is higher ilvl in SoO that I will aim for, but it might be a week or so before I even attempt that, so now is the time to upgrade.

But 1000+ each time I need to buy it (I am not very far on the legendary quest at all)! And I actually just updated my helm last night, so I would have already lost the benefit from it. I don't mind buying it once I have a slightly more stable head spot (as I do now). There is higher ilvl in SoO that I will aim for, but it might be a week or so before I even attempt that, so now is the time to upgrade.

Like I said, the meta gem is probably your single best DPS upgrade. The legendary meta is great but it's not, by any means, required like it is for casters. Next would be Dancing Steel on both weapons, but Windsong is a cheap alternative. It has better scaling than Elemental Force.

LFR is, honestly, a pretty bad way to learn how to play your class in a raid setting. It does more harm than good when it comes to teaching people raid awareness and how to keep cool under pressure. It's just a loot treadmill and not representative of the real raiding experience. It might be good for you to join a casual raiding group, learn from them and draw from their pool of resources. The difference is that you'll be pushing yourself to constantly be better rather than just increasing the numbers on all your gear - though it is pretty consistently better for that as well.

looking at your armory link i would say you need to reforge/gem quite a bit.  you are over the exp cap and under the hit cap.  these 2 are the most important.  second always spring for a meta and at the least get the lower grade of the gems, usually cheaper. if the meta is to expensive try and buy the raw gem and have somebody cut it. sometimes you can save some money this way.  also you need to glyph blackout kick so that it always applied the dot.  personally i prefer ascension not only for the xtra chi slot but the energy regen, especially if you want to use rushing jade wind.  i would however advise against RJW for now since your haste is very low.  SCK is just as good an ae.  be sure to use Ask Mr. Robot for you reforge, you can have it do just the reforge and not the gem/enchants so that it compensates for the lack or lower lvl gems/enchants.  other then that just do a good rotation and ae when >3 targets always with RSK buff up.

A HUGE problem is your offhand. its 60 item lvls behind your mainhand. Another issue that everyone has mention is hit and expertise caps a missed attack say Rising sun kick which is your hardest hitting ability and crits for really high numbers is a problem because if that attack crits for say 300k+ thats 300k damage you lost.

Along with that being hit and expertise capped is not enough you need to be dpsing from behind the boss to avoid being parried by the boss so that could be a problem.

Another problem is you have 429 trinket its really really outdated and is a part of the problem but it adds up.

Also you mentioned you have a hunter but as a hunter you are a ranged class means you are dpsing at all times because you do not need to be in melee range to do damage so it could be because you have downtime.

Your talents seem ok, personally I would take Ascension as windwalker, 15% faster energy regen and 1 extra chi to store giving you room to work with. 

Would help to gem and enchant but after you have gemmed and enchant and reforged properly than you might need to check your gameplay.

I also noticed that you didn't take the glyph of blackout kick personally I think you should as there maybe a chance where you have are dpsing for a moment and the boss is moved or something and one attack is from the front it doesnt apply the dot that it normally does if you attacked from behind

Someone also mentioned weapon enchants, I highly recommend at least Windsong, elemental force is just a small amount of damage which does not out damage the proc from windsong as it can grant 1500 haste/mastery/and crit which could mean an extra Rising sun kick critting.

You also do not mention how you do your dps. So you could be using Fist of fury too much as its not really a good ability and its a filler if you are low energy. Also it is channeled and you to be stood still.

Your priority is to keep Rising Sun Kick on CD it gives a mob a damage debuff it receives by you and it works in AOE situation so if you RSK a mob all mobs around it within 8 or 10 yards I think, maybe wrong about distances, receive the debuff also. 

NEVER energy cap if you can help it. Keep Tiger palm buff up. Use combo breaker procs ( blackout kick and tiger palm free attacks). Dump Chi with blackout kick. 

Edited by trieu

So the story with my offhand: I was using Ghostheart (not even Heroic Ghostheart) when I found Kura Kura. I did not have another offhand since I'd been using a two hander for so many levels, but I found the ilvl 450 weapon in the bank. I assumed (and could be mistaken) that I was better off with two weapons instead of one when I could be duel-wielding. Part of why I am LFR'ing is to get equipment to replace my lower level items, my offhand and the trinket you mentioned. The good news about my monk (compared to my hunter) was that he at least started with a bunch of Timeless Isle items as opposed to her, so it has been a little quicker getting geared up, but here I still am.

I always try to attack from behind the enemy for the mentioned Blackout Kick dot, and also because I believe they cannot dodge or parry from behind. The only time I would say I intentionally attack from the front is when the tank moves the enemy towards me (which I try and rectify as I notice it) and when everything is such a cluster that I cannot tell what direction they are facing in. This is also why I did not grab the Blackout Kick Glyph, though it appears that Afterlife isn't as much of a benefit in raids as some others.

The rotation I follow (or try to follow) is the one listed on IV. So I do Fists a lot, though I only try and use it when I won't become energy capped in the process. The neat WeakAuras program I have tells me when Fists is ready, when Rising Sun is ready, when one of the procs is up (though those tend to be pretty obvious on their own). I cannot say I do this with great accuracy, but I do try.

As for using LFR, I know it can be a bit "bottom of the barrel" and all, but it definitely fits my gaming needs more than the other raid difficulties. I am in a guild, but not one that tends to raid very often (at least outside of LFR). I am a conscientious player, but not necessarily a skilled one, and I'd hate to be holding other players back. Further, I did attempt a flex raid on SoO the other week, which involved being on Vent, and I hated it. I realize that WoW is a very social game, and I can sometimes be hard to shut up when it comes to typing, but I hate hearing people's voices or possibly needing to talk to them. It is weird, I realize, but for now LFR has worked out amazingly well for me. I am still VERY new to raiding, and once I feel like I have a bunch better handle on what I am doing I might try a bit more Flex, but for now, I'd rather the training wheels stay on.

I did not end up playing last night so I have not had a chance to reforge my gear and look into more gems, but i will do so tonight. Thanks again everyone.

UPDATE: So I finally had the opportunity to hit the arcane reforger with Mr Robot in the background and updated my equipment per suggested (including a meta gem for my helm). It was costly, but it definitely made the difference. I then preceded to queue up for the Terrace of Endless Spring and the Forgotten Depths. While I certainly did not lead the pack (and unlike when playing as ranged, the Sha of Fear was actually a little dangerous on a melee character) I averaged the tenth spot or so according to Recount. Still nothing to be proud of, but compared to being 18th, I consider this a marked improvement.

So thank you all for your assitance. I will continue to make use of this fine site to optimize my equipment as it gets updated, and no more will I discount the inherent value of gemming my gear.

Thanks again.

-WT