FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zilthy

Seeking DPS Advice - Demonology

I have been reading the icy-veins forums for quite some time, and recently started posting.  I am fairly new to raiding, and this is really my first foray in to progression raiding.  Although I am happy with where I have come over the last couple of months, I really would like to improve and take my play further.

I should be able to do a good bit of dps more than I am doing, and wondering what I am missing.  I try to get my opener in (curse of element, hand of gul'dan, corruption, dark soul, imp swarm, wrathstorm, hand of gul'dan, meta, doom, touch, touch, etc) (Ok, I do not double doom right away, I put first doom(s) up as prep for UVLS proc, if UVLS procs, I double dot doom or if multi target put doom on each)

I think what I am missing, is not the opener, my openers are usually very good.  Where I lose it, is as the fight sustains.  I know sometimes it is me learning the mechanics, and I also know I need to pay more attention to dots, especially now that everlasting affliction is gone. But, where else should I be looking, as the fight is sustained?

Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Zilthiphia/simple

FWIW I am not looking for a gear related issue, although I was quite thrilled to get a Bindings, ring and offhand tonight on this run. :)

And here is the report from our run tonight:

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-9s27bl1r3mqjeo2t/

And, I would be the warlock of course, Zilthiphia.

Zilthy, I tend to appear to be brutal when diagnosing a combat log.  Please just interpret it as a thorough inspection.

Protectors (7:31)

-Doom uptime = 82.6%.  Doom is your highest damage source.  Keep this up at all costs, even if you don't have a UVLS proc

-Soul Fire - you casted 61 caster form Soul Fires and 2 Metamorphosis Soul Fires.  The split should be MUCH more even. 

-Corruption uptime = 41.8%.  While the damage of Corr is small, it still generates Demonic Fury and does some damage.  Bring this up.

-Dark Soul - used 3 times.  This should have been used at the opener, and then again at 2:00, 4:00, and 6:00.  You completely missed out on a charge somewhere in there.  This is a huge opportunity to gain DPS.

-Mannoroth's Fury - used 1 time.  This could have been used 8 times, but you converted only once.  Why take the talent if you won't use it?

All in all, you show good promise, but there are HUGE opportunities to gain DPS here.  You could bring that 200k up to 275k rather easily.

Norushen

-not going to look here because of phasing difficulties.  Logs have a hard time keeping track of those in other phases.

Sha of Pride (6:12)

-Doom uptime = 66.5%.  This is pretty rough.  In the American grading system, this would get you a D.

-only 1 Metamorphosis Soul Fire.  Needs moar.

-only 2 Dark Soul uses.  Could have been 4.

-only 2 Mannoroth's Fury uses.  Could have been 7.

Same issues persist in all the logs.  Here's your TL;DR...

-Doom uptime.  Keep it going at all times no matter what.

-Corruption uptime.  Keep it going at all times no matter what.

-Cooldown uses.  Use more.  This is low hanging fruit.

-Soul Fire.  Use more in Metamorphosis.  It looks like you're only spending DF in Meta with Touch of Chaos.  If your feet are planted and you have an Intellect proc rolling, fire out Soul Fires.

-Spell priorities otherwise look good.  Just some moderate tweaking to your play for immediate results.

If confused still, stop in our Friday night Mumble jam session at 8 Eastern.  Lots of awesome Warlocks to talk to and share ideas.

Looking at your logs, first thing I see is DoT uptime. On single target fights im seeing 60% uptime on corupption and 76% on doom. Your other fights arnt much better either. So, first thing you need to do is fix that, and your dps will sky rocket. I would recomend getting a DoT tracking addon for this. Shadowflame is also low as well. Without 4set, the maximun is 40%. You normally want to aim for about 35%. What you normally do with HoG is cast it, cast two spells and then cast HoG again. Increasing uptime on all these DoTs increases your damage and DF generation.

Second, im not too sure about this myself but I normally find that soulfire is my largestest damaging ability, while its not for you. While its not too important, it leads me to believe you are not using soulfire right. If you have large int procs, use it in meta and you get big deeps, regardless of DF. If you do not any int procs, use it in caster to gain more DF. Never use soulfire in meta if you have no procs and low DF. Again, I would recomend getting an addon to track your trinket procs.

Thoes are the two main things I can see, but either way I would strongly recomend reading https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/1570-54-demonology-tips-and-quirks/ if you already have, do it again! I always find nice little things in there that have been updated or that I missed before.

Hope all this helps :)

• Like 1

Oh, zagam just posted a better responce while I was typing that.

He does have a habit of this kind of upstaging, doesn't he? :D Curse his excellent theorycrafting and log analyzing abilities!

Thank you everyone for the comments, I am going to put these in to practice, especially working on my DoT uptime.

Update:

First, it was nice to meet you in mumble, even for a short bit Zag. :)

I got a chance to try a few of the things in a Flex raid tonight, and it looks promising.  We did only get through two bosses, although that was expected with this particular group (the majority of the dps were in the 60 - 110k range).

Fallen protectors:  Increase of 45k

Norushen: Increase of 15k

Admittedly, I will have to work on keeping this consistent, and as you (and others) have mentioned, pay a *lot* more attention to DoTs without Everlasting Affliction, I feel I am generally on the right track.

Thank you again!!  :D

Edited by Zilthy

Gains of 45k and 15k are nothing to sneeze at.  Glad to see some improvements.  Keep working on it and fine tuning your work.

Thank you everyone for the comments, I am going to put these in to practice, especially working on my DoT uptime.

Update:

First, it was nice to meet you in mumble, even for a short bit Zag. smile.png

I got a chance to try a few of the things in a Flex raid tonight, and it looks promising.  We did only get through two bosses, although that was expected with this particular group (the majority of the dps were in the 60 - 110k range).

Fallen protectors:  Increase of 45k

Norushen: Increase of 15k

Admittedly, I will have to work on keeping this consistent, and as you (and others) have mentioned, pay a *lot* more attention to DoTs without Everlasting Affliction, I feel I am generally on the right track.

Thank you again!!  biggrin.png

Can you post a screenshot while you're in combat?  After having talked with many warlocks, a lot of missing DPS can be tied to convenient add-ons or weak aura strings.  A recent lock I spoke with wasn't aware that Doom was affected by Pandemic all of last tier, you obviously know that, but there are always simple fixes like these that can be dug up with a screenshot.

Can you post a screenshot while you're in combat?  After having talked with many warlocks, a lot of missing DPS can be tied to convenient add-ons or weak aura strings.  A recent lock I spoke with wasn't aware that Doom was affected by Pandemic all of last tier, you obviously know that, but there are always simple fixes like these that can be dug up with a screenshot.

Not in combat, but this is how I have my WA setup:

2013-09-29+06.44.50+pm.png

You might notice UVLS is missing, I have that as a big icon that pops up with a loud noise when I am using UVLS.

Are you doing Affliction now?

As Demo I have a lot of stuff that pops onto my screen when I enter combat.  A bigger DF bar and more obvious CD trackers using weak auras, mainly.  Based off of Zag's evaluation, I think it might benefit you to use a Weak Aura similar to mine for tracking it.  It basically flashes and spins on my screen when it's ready.  I can look it up later if you're interested.

Well, I am still doing demo, but added in affliction and starting to use that more, depending on the fight.

I would certainly like to see your WA setup.  I have been refining mine over the last week or two, finding things that work for me.  It's not showing, but for example, when I have a big proc, I also get a text up on the screen too letting me know it's up.

There's probably *more* I should be tracking, but I like to phase things / changes in one at a time, otherwise my poor little blond brain gets overloaded. :)

:)

Yeah I'll be on tonight trying to finish up Garrosh if you're on.  I can send over the WA string.