FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Decision

Missing information in the prot warrior 5.4 guide

I thought it'd be worthwile to mention in your so called "updated guide" that our stat priority have changed quite dramatically in 5.4 so I'm going to write them here and hopefully you add them to your guide.

In 5.4 we get a new passive avility learned at level 75 called Riposte.

What this spell does is that every time you dodge or parry you get 75% of your total dodge+parry as critical strike rating. (Note that this does not stack so you will only get the buff once and then refresh it)

So let's say you have 4000 dodge and 4000 parry, what you do is take 8000*0,75 and you get 6000 wich means you will now have 6000 critical strike rating without actually having to gem or reforge for it.

But what does this mean? Critical strike doesnt give us any defensive mitigation right?

Well that is another change in 5.4 that all our Shield Slams and Devastate criticals will now enrage us, giving us the 10% damage buff and 10 rage wich will furthermore add to our rage income and will give us more active mitigation.

So what does this mean in conclusion? It means that if you stat towards avoidance you will get less total damage taken, higher mitigation through higher rage income, and A LOT higher dps through the Riposte ability netting some really nice crit percentage.

In this context your stat priority should look like this:

Hit 7.5%

Expertise 15%

Parry/Dodge equally with the DR

Mastery

Crit

Edited by Decision

If you are referring to the IV site guide and not Tattered Banners, then yep. That's the way it's always been, though. 5.4 has been out for only a week and a half, and thus it's not entirely reasonable to expect the guide to be fully updated. The prot warrior sit guide has always, in my experience, significantly lagged behind in terms of updates and relevance to the current  patch. However, the IV site guide is not entirely wrong in recommending mastery. Warriors now have 4 possibilities for gearing priority. A mastery heavy build for heavy bruiser fights where smoothing matters more than overall reduction and any spikiness is death. A stam build when the baseline just isn't cutting it. An avoidance build for your everyday sort of tanking, especially for mixed damage types. A crit build for higher damage when not tanking or for extremely heavy magic damage, particularly if you are not being meleed (Lei Shi, basically). Thus, we have many wonderful choices and mastery is one of them. Which build is best will depend on the fight.

Yes I agree with you that it's understandable that they havent had the time to update it properly yet, but should they really call it 5.4 guide and not just 5.3? As it's actually not updated FOR 5.4?

And when you mention that mastery is a viable build, yes it is. But gearing avoidance through the 2 major changes I mentioned will buff your total reduction aswell as giving you more crit and therefore higher dps, from higher crit also comes higher rage generation through critting with SS or Devastate. And as you get higher rage gain you are also able to use active mitigation more often, wich will effectively reduce your spikes.

As a conclusion avoidance builds get a little bit of everything making it the best overall tank.

The only real sidenote is that on hard hitting heroic bosses it might be worth going stamina just to survive those hits.

And when it comes to magical fights, we dont really have anything like that in this tier. The only fight we've had that is not physically avoidable is like you mentioned, Lei Shi from t14.

Also I wanted to mention they actually wrote this in their changelog:

• 12 Sep. 2013: Patch 5.4 update: nothing to change.
Edited by Decision

The protection, fury and arms guides actually all have some kind of mistakes in them.

I'll try to talk with Damien later today to see whether I can get the guides updated or not. As a rule of thumb though, the player made guides here on the forums (i.e. mine and Esta's, since I don't think Sajakain updated his for 5.4 yet) are going to be pretty much always up to date.

Also, I'm not trying to take anyone's defense here, but when you have 34 specs to monitor, chances are that some mistakes will be made or that some changes will go unnoticed.

>.>

<.<

>.>

<.<

Mine is not yet up to date.

I did acknowledge that the avoidance build is best for general tanking, however, mastery would still outperform it in specific situations. Many of the top warrior tanks went back to mastery for a few fights early in heroics. I forget which. I hate mornings.

Well now you have to get on it and update it so it doesn't look like I said something without checking my facts first ^_^

I thought it'd be worthwile to mention in your so called "updated guide" that our stat priority have changed quite dramatically in 5.4 so I'm going to write them here and hopefully you add them to your guide.

In 5.4 we get a new passive avility learned at level 75 called Riposte.

What this spell does is that every time you dodge or parry you get 75% of your total dodge+parry as critical strike rating. (Note that this does not stack so you will only get the buff once and then refresh it)

So let's say you have 4000 dodge and 4000 parry, what you do is take 8000*0,75 and you get 6000 wich means you will now have 6000 critical strike rating without actually having to gem or reforge for it.

But what does this mean? Critical strike doesnt give us any defensive mitigation right?

Well that is another change in 5.4 that all our Shield Slams and Devastate criticals will now enrage us, giving us the 10% damage buff and 10 rage wich will furthermore add to our rage income and will give us more active mitigation.

So what does this mean in conclusion? It means that if you stat towards avoidance you will get less total damage taken, higher mitigation through higher rage income, and A LOT higher dps through the Riposte ability netting some really nice crit percentage.

In this context your stat priority should look like this:

Hit 7.5%

Expertise 15%

Parry/Dodge equally with the DR

Mastery

Crit

Thanks for your post. I'd like to shed a bit of light on the situation.

As you probably know, our guides are regularly reviewed and proofread by good players or theorycrafters of the class to ensure that precisely this kind of thing does not happen (a guide being out of date or suggesting something that is not viable). In the case of this specific guide, we have had to change reviewer with Patch 5.4, so this is the reason for the delay.

Regarding the guide itself being updated for Patch 5.4, I do believe that this is accurate, because it takes into account the actual changes made to the mechanics (such as the addition of Riposte, Vengeance changes, talent changes, etc.). Anyway, again, I appreciate your post and I'll do my best to get this updated as soon as possible.