FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
drycleanonly

Affliction help

I'm dusting off affliction with 5.4. I was affliction until 5.2 and then went to destro. I'm basically running both specs now and just trying to switch to aff on fights that aff should perform well on based on the Icy Veins warlock boss guides. So far, my aff seems lacking. I've posted links to my armory and my boss kills from last week's SoO run. I've included my destro fights as well just as additional info in case it's needed. 

Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Demonpoo/advanced

Immerseus (destro): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-j5wyshsn1scmvdyf/dashboard/?s=750&e=1144

Protectors (Aff): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-j5wyshsn1scmvdyf/dashboard/?s=2096&e=2508

Norushen (Aff): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-j5wyshsn1scmvdyf/dashboard/?s=2096&e=2508

Sha (Aff): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-j5wyshsn1scmvdyf/dashboard/?s=4610&e=5043

Galakras (Destro): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-j5wyshsn1scmvdyf/?s=6890&e=7472

Juggernaut (Aff): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-j5wyshsn1scmvdyf/dashboard/?s=10039&e=10479

Immerseus:

-3 Shadowburns.  This is crazy low.  You have opportunities on adds and Immerseus himself over repeated instances to get more than 3 Shadowburns. 

-3 Dark Souls.  Should have had 4.

-1 Potion (25 sec of uptime).  Should have had 2.

Protectors:

-8 Haunts.  Wut.  Use this more!

-0 Potions. 

-1 Dark Soul?  1?!  Fight was almost 7 minutes long and you used 1 Dark Soul.

-57 Soul Burns?!?!  Reread the guide on how Soul Swap should be used now.  You're playing multi-dot Affliction completely wrong.

Norushen:

-DoT uptimes in 80% range.  Inexcusable for Affliction

-10 Haunts.  Affliction's signature move used 10 times in 6:14. 

-1 Dark Soul use...

-0 Potions used

You can probably analyze the rest.  Critical gameplay issues such as cooldown usage and priority spell decision making.  Huge Affliction multi-dot playstyle error, lack of Haunts, and poor DoT uptimes spell doom for Affliction DPS.  Lots to work on.  Good news is your DPS has lots of room to grow.

Immerseus:

-3 Shadowburns.  This is crazy low.  You have opportunities on adds and Immerseus himself over repeated instances to get more than 3 Shadowburns. 

-3 Dark Souls.  Should have had 4.

-1 Potion (25 sec of uptime).  Should have had 2.

Protectors:

-8 Haunts.  Wut.  Use this more!

-0 Potions. 

-1 Dark Soul?  1?!  Fight was almost 7 minutes long and you used 1 Dark Soul.

-57 Soul Burns?!?!  Reread the guide on how Soul Swap should be used now.  You're playing multi-dot Affliction completely wrong.

Norushen:

-DoT uptimes in 80% range.  Inexcusable for Affliction

-10 Haunts.  Affliction's signature move used 10 times in 6:14. 

-1 Dark Soul use...

-0 Potions used

You can probably analyze the rest.  Critical gameplay issues such as cooldown usage and priority spell decision making.  Huge Affliction multi-dot playstyle error, lack of Haunts, and poor DoT uptimes spell doom for Affliction DPS.  Lots to work on.  Good news is your DPS has lots of room to grow.

Overall, I need to get better at potting. I rarely prepot though I do usually use one during hero in the fight. I'm really suffering from decision paralysis on dark soul with affliction. If I get a single proc, I sit there and think I need more before using DS. Then nothing comes during that proc so I wait again. Then I get 2 procs, and sit and wait some more hoping another proc will happen. I'm always afraid I'll use it at the wrong time and then won;t have it when all the procs hit leading me to never use the damn thing. 

Immerseus

Low shadowburn - I was doing CBs on the slimes which insta killed them. I just didn't have a lot of opportunity to get an add at 20% health and then hit shadowburn. I probably should lay off the CBs here since it's a bit overkill. I actually have a question about shadowburn here. CB hits about twice as hard as SB unless it crits. Both cost an ember. So even <20% CBs give more damager per ember right? Immerseus doesn't refund the 2 embers when he phases so I was using CB more than SB during <20% phases. If I burn 4 CBs into Immerseus at <20%, even without procs I'm looking at probably looking at 1.6-2mil damage over a little less than 8 seconds. If I burn 4 SB instead, I'm looking at around 800k plus crit damage if any of them crit over 4 seconds. But then after that 4 seconds I just have to go back to inceinerate spam to refill my embers. Which gives a better dps?

Protectors:

Really not sure what to do or how to track dots for multi dot fights like this. I used a lot of SB:SS to get dots on things but then that left me starved for shards the whole fight which kept haunt uptime low. I just reread through the 5.4 affliction tips and tricks and I don;t see anything relating to multidot fights like this. Can you point me to what section it's in? (EDIT: You're probably talking about soul swap and soul swap exhale. I was just rereading through the guide rather than the forum post. Completely forgot about this ability. So used to doing it with soulburn that I forgot it had another use.)

Norushen:

I do have lower uptime on dots on Norushen on this fight but I made sure to keep them up on adds the full fight. Adds were dying very fast which didn't give agony much time to works. I was close to 100% on uptime on Norushen once I was purified but since I was doing reduced damage to him before that I really tried to focus more on the adds.

Edited by drycleanonly

Your Chaos Bolt/Shadowburn question should lie to rest right now: CB never takes priority over SB sub 20%.  SB > CB because of SB having higher DPET (Damage Per Execute Time).  You don't care about damage per Ember.  You care about how much damage you do per time spent DOING it.  Chaos Bolt plants your feet for 2.5-3.0 second and has HORRIBLE travel time.  Shadowburn is instant, doesn't root you, and returns a lot of mana if an enemy doesn't die.  In the time you could fire off 1 CB, you could do an Incinerate AND a Shadowburn making up the damage difference, generating an ember bit, and regaining any mana you might have lost from previous Incinerate spam.  You should be using SB on the boss when he is sub 20%.  Even better is to Havoc an add and then SB the boss.

As for the slimes, you're doing it right if you Havoc one and Chaos Bolt another.  As soon as I get that CB off, I start walking away because cool guys don't stare at explosions.