FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
sbVital

Affliction and DoT Tracking

I was reading a post about properly managing DoTs for affliction, and not using Soulburn + SS but to just copy over dots using Soul Swap. I used Soulburn a wopping 52 times on protectors, primarily because I let them fall off. I know how to use Soul Swap, but I'm having trouble keeping up with things when it gets messy with a lot of adds to DoT.

What addons do you top end guys use?

I am a neat freak, so I don't like addons that use up too much space of "fade out" in my screen. I am using a DoT tracking that only tracks DoTs on my target, because it gives me a headache when 4-5 targets are in one DoT tracker taking up half my screen. The one example in particular that I cant stand is FortExorcist (sp?).

Is there a simple solution, or is it a lost cause for a lock trying to manage DoTs on fights with 3-5 targets? Any tips/tricks/addon advice is welcome!

You don't know how to use Soul Swap if you're using Soulburn:Soul Swap 52 times.  You should only be Soulburn:Soul Swapping when you have crazy procs going on that you didn't plan for.  Weakauras enables you to know when Wush or BBoY procs and is beginning to build in DPS.  Why would you waste a shard you could spend on Haunt to SB:Soul Swap when you could manually cast with mega spell power?

It's pretty simple to use Soul Swap now.  It retains the duration of all of your DoTs from target to target.  So regardless of what you're hitting, if UA is about to wear off the target you're hitting, it's about to wear off for all the targets you used for that particular Soul Swap. 

You need to use a bar addon that displays DoTs over your targets heads.  On something like Protectors, you'd have 4 to 12 targets you should be splashing DoTs on everywhere all day. 

You don't know how to use Soul Swap if you're using Soulburn:Soul Swap 52 times.

I know how to use the actual spell. Whether or not I know specifically how it works and putting into place is different. (I have read the lock guide on it)

So, to keep it simple (and due to the fact I havent seen a lof further in), I'm going to refer to Protectors:

Doesn't it take a while for Soul Swap to be taken from one target to the other? I honestly wasnt worried about shard consumption since 80% of my time is dotting things up, I never really had time to sit their and channel MG on a haunted mob, but then again that's why I'm asking for advise: To get better. wink.png

So is the ideal opener in that fight: hard cast dots on 1 -> let procs trigger -> SB:SS the empowered dots, and spread them around using Soul Swap: Exhale?

And in theory, you shouldnt have to SB:SS unless immediate refreshing (due to procs) is needed?

I need to find a video of a lock executing this method so I can wrap my mind around it.

------

And a side tid bit, it seems like SB:SS is a lot quicker to apply than to SS->SS:Exhale, Not sure why, it just feels like it doesn't respond as quick, maybe because I'm just not used to it.

Thanks again for response.

Well SB:SS is quicker because SB isn't on a global cooldown. Inhale/Exhale is 2 globals and applying the dots manually are 3 globals. So I'm not sure what you mean by a "while", but 1 global and a shard vs 2 globals and most likely stronger dots doesn't seem like a long time to me.

For instance, say you have Wush at 9/10 stacks, you're only going to get 1 global in to stack max int dots. If you Inhale/Exhale those 10 Wush Dots to 3 mobs, you're going to be doing way more damage then if you SB:SS one mob with 9 Wush, SB:SS the next mob with 10 Wush, then SB:SS a mob with no procs, not to mention you just wasted 3 shards instead of one which you should be using to Haunt your main target in the case of protectors.

Generally you don't have too much time on protectors to channel MG, I generally try to keep Haunt up as much as possible on the main target, spread dots around in the meantime and keep them refreshed, either using SB:SS on trinket procs or just manually casting. I'm usually just channeling Drain Soul at the last 20% of adds but found I don't have much time to channel MG.

As far as addons, I just use affdots and tidyplates. The thing is, with Inhale/Exhale when you're using it correctly, the dots on every mob generally have the same strength and are going to fall off at the same time, because you are copying the strength and duration from the original mob. So you should always know when you need to refresh dots on your main mob and start spreading them around again.

Edited by Strife
  • Like 1

Thanks for clearing that up for me Strife. That's exactly what I was needing to help me understand it. I am consistently missing out on buffed dots due to SB:SS instead of just spreading. I will work on dummies to help spread dots around.

I have tried tidy plates but never really messed with it enough to tailor it to my liking.

Precast Soul Burn ~20 seconds before the pull. Shard regens during the countdown and you get a free SBSS at the start to apply all your dots in one global.

Pop Dark Soul, apply haunt and the 3 dots at once. Doomguard, as Haunt is about to hit MG, trinkets proc (UVLS should proc last, if you're still using UVLS..., SBSS at 1 second of Pefect Aim and spread those dots if multi-target. If you have Wush or Black Blood wait for 9-10 stack), SBSS to empower dots (spead these), keep Haunt up on main target(on multi target if you know one will die before your main target will need another haunt) until the empowered dots fall off (at least until UA and Corruption get replaced). If you're flowing in shards because you snag a lot of dying adds, keep Haunt up on any targets with high int proc dots.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Strife. That's exactly what I was needing to help me understand it. I am consistently missing out on buffed dots due to SB:SS instead of just spreading. I will work on dummies to help spread dots around.

I have tried tidy plates but never really messed with it enough to tailor it to my liking.

It really feels goofy at first.  It took me a while to get used to.  Basically all you see on fights where you are spreading DoTs is that big green ball going from a target, to a new target, from that target, to a new target, etc.  Over and over and over and over. 

I actually found it very useful to make the following macro:

/focus [button:3]

/cast [button:1] soul swap exhale; [button:2, target=focus] soul swap

This way you can click the mouse wheel to set your main dot target as focus, right click to copy off its dots, then left click to put them on your current target. Just keep tabbing to spread the dot love!

Edited by Isiliel
  • Like 1

This way you can click the mouse wheel to set your main dot target as focus, right click to copy off its dots, then left click to put them on your current target. Just keep tabbing to spread the dot love!

I really struggle with the Tabbing" situation because it does not cycle through each and every target. It often moves back to a target you have already dotted up.

This is my biggest problem with SS as it is very difficult to manually select the correct target to do the SS to in a window period of about 2 seconds.

On the Galakras fight the mobs are on top of each other and running around so not only is it difficult to select them but near impossible to determine which one still needs dots in amongst the chaos. Each time you miss SS window you lose DPS and then have to re-inhale lessor quality dots from your focus target again.

How can one improve target selection to make SS 100% effective.

Improving target selection:

Use something that shows dots on the nameplates/health bars, like Tidy Plates or Elvui.  Personally, I like Elvui, and especially the boss frames setup I have with it for multi boss fights (Protectors, Paragons, Dark Shaman....)

As far as actual targeting, sometimes I'll tab target, but more often than not I use @mouseover macros

I would actually not recommend copying from your initial focused target.

Because of the way inhale/exhale works, your dots don't tick while you are holding them. If you were to inhale/exhale from T1 -> T2, T2 -> T3, T3 -> T4, etc. Your dots would be 2 seconds aparts, e.g. 19s, 21s, 23s, 25s on 4 mobs. Not only are you getting more empowered ticks if you were copying a strong set of dots, but the way it staggers and falls off it's much easier to reapply them without dots falling completely off for an extended amount of time.

If you were to use your focus macro on the same 4 mobs and go T1 -> T2, T1 -> T3, T1 -> T4, then the dots on everything but the T1 would be the same e.g. 19s, 21s, 21s, 21s. Not only are you getting less ticks, but now all these dots are going to fall off at the same time which is going to waste dps. You also don't really need that macro, I mean in both instances you're doing the same thing, it's just that with your macro you are using 2 keybinds to be less effective. Without a macro you already just inhale your current mob, move to the next mob, then exhale with 1 keybind vs your macro moving to the next mob, inhale with a focus macro on one button, exhale with a 2nd button. Doesn't really seem simpler and it's a dps loss.

Edited by Strife
  • Like 1

I used ElvUI and have my boss frames situated in a place that I can click them easily. 

I use Clique {yes the healing addon}  bound to CTRL+Left Click. for soul swap. 

Makes it cake to keep them up on everything in that boss frame that way. 

You don't know how to use Soul Swap if you're using Soulburn:Soul Swap 52 times.  You should only be Soulburn:Soul Swapping when you have crazy procs going on that you didn't plan for.  Weakauras enables you to know when Wush or BBoY procs and is beginning to build in DPS.  Why would you waste a shard you could spend on Haunt to SB:Soul Swap when you could manually cast with mega spell power?

It's pretty simple to use Soul Swap now.  It retains the duration of all of your DoTs from target to target.  So regardless of what you're hitting, if UA is about to wear off the target you're hitting, it's about to wear off for all the targets you used for that particular Soul Swap. 

You need to use a bar addon that displays DoTs over your targets heads.  On something like Protectors, you'd have 4 to 12 targets you should be splashing DoTs on everywhere all day. 

Woah! how the hell do you do this with ElvUI?! I guess i missed that setting.

Also, i know about the CTRL+V to turn on bars over peoples heads, but that turns on EVERYONES bar. Is there a way just to have it over enemies?