FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
slap

Help With Poor Ele DPS (ilvl 532)

I am trying to help out a friends toon who has low dps. He is currently following ask mr robot's advice and stacking mastery but still really under performing in SoO and in all raids for his ilvl. Linking logs and toon info below:

TOON:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/T%C3%B8uchmyt%C3%B8tem/simple

WOL Flex:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/m3sflwkz9gfele8l/details/2/

WOL 10 MAN:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/on5z9xgchxei2a9t/sum/damageDone/

Appreciate any assistance! Thanks in advance!

-Slap

My first advice would be that AMR's default settings aren't usually optimal - they're just "guideline" weights. The best solution on that side is to sim the player's character and generate stat weights from that. If you like, I can do that over the weekend.

As for rotation, I'm sorry but I don't play Elemental :(

1. It looks like you are not using your Fire Elemental at all. Could not find it in logs...That thing is beast dps...Use it when you guys use your Lust. In some cases you can use it twice in a fight (5 min cd)....so on the pull, and possible execute phase as well.  (Possible to glyph if the fight has different burst windows)

1a. Also don't see searing totem down...come on...keep it down. You only have to do it once a minute on most fights. Get a tracker to help if its a trouble.

2. Flame Shock uptime is low-ish. It should be very very close to 100%.

3. Stat priorities. The heavy mastery build is the way to go...However, not having the LMG means you will want more static haste for Lava Surge procs. Until you get the LMG I would advise to not completely ignore haste. Its a valuable stat for someone without the LMG and still good regardless. 

3a. Try using hybrid gems. Int is still very strong for ele shams, even in good gear. Try and use the Int/Mast or Int/Haste ones as opposed to all the yellow mastery ones your using now.  Also, I would try to get any +int socket bonuses you unless its using those pesky blue gems. Your a bit over hit but I see its just form gear. That happens with hybrid classes sometimes and spirit=hit. You will get better gear as you continue to raid.

Hope that helps...Fire Elemental and don't ignore Haste as much as you are until you get the LMG... 

My first advice would be that AMR's default settings aren't usually optimal - they're just "guideline" weights. The best solution on that side is to sim the player's character and generate stat weights from that. If you like, I can do that over the weekend.

As for rotation, I'm sorry but I don't play Elemental sad.png

I will let him know. Thanks for your time!

1. It looks like you are not using your Fire Elemental at all. Could not find it in logs...That thing is beast dps...Use it when you guys use your Lust. In some cases you can use it twice in a fight (5 min cd)....so on the pull, and possible execute phase as well.  (Possible to glyph if the fight has different burst windows)

1a. Also don't see searing totem down...come on...keep it down. You only have to do it once a minute on most fights. Get a tracker to help if its a trouble.

2. Flame Shock uptime is low-ish. It should be very very close to 100%.

3. Stat priorities. The heavy mastery build is the way to go...However, not having the LMG means you will want more static haste for Lava Surge procs. Until you get the LMG I would advise to not completely ignore haste. Its a valuable stat for someone without the LMG and still good regardless. 

3a. Try using hybrid gems. Int is still very strong for ele shams, even in good gear. Try and use the Int/Mast or Int/Haste ones as opposed to all the yellow mastery ones your using now.  Also, I would try to get any +int socket bonuses you unless its using those pesky blue gems. Your a bit over hit but I see its just form gear. That happens with hybrid classes sometimes and spirit=hit. You will get better gear as you continue to raid.

Hope that helps...Fire Elemental and don't ignore Haste as much as you are until you get the LMG... 

Passed the info along. Hopefully this will help him out. Appreciate the help!

ilvl can be a bit misleading for an elemental. their rotation is pretty easy, but they need really good gear to do good dps. in SoO blizz made it very difficult to gear an elemental because although our set bonuses are lackluster, it is pretty much the only gear we can equip to see a notable dps gain.

the gear he has is a lot of timeless, valor gear and world boss stuff. SoO has a ton of physical damage so playing with a staff is also much less than ideal. no upgrades hints even more to the fact that he has very little experience playing that toon in current content. if you want him to do better you'll have to at least carry him through flex enough to pick up gloves from gen. naz and a chest token from pride to replace what is probably the worst possible stat roll on a chest piece.

once he gets a heroic tot one hander, (zerg animus weekly?) or the mace from shaman on flex, any shield will do. the best thing about any off-hand is the 165 int enchant anyway, and the extra armor will make him seem like a way better player because he will take far less damage on just about every boss in SoO.

he has a priority rotation that can be simplified to LvB > EB > ES > Lightning Bolt. Always Be Casting.

if you clip a cast you should be spamming LB as you strafe. you should be able to move at all times and be able to time stopping just as you can start your LvB or EB cast and then start moving again. uptime on FS should be 99% unless the tank lets the ele pull for fun to see if he can hit 100%. multi FS if the target will be alive for an entire FS.

Never cast earthquake. it is only still in the game so we have a way to make fun of ppl in pvp (like, "youre so bad i can cast earthquake and still beat you") the rotation for 2-3 targets is to replace lightning bolt with chain lightning and the rotation for 4 or more targets is CL forever.

EDIT

it is possible that someone could think that when i said "really good gear" i meant higher ilvl gear. that is not the case. a 522 helm with haste and mastery on it is way better than a 553 helm with spirit and crit. when looking at gear for an elemental, Haste = biggrin.png Mastery = biggrin.png Crit = -.- and spirit = :'(

that one dude is right about gems tho, halfsy sockets are good. the tier gear has great colors for us.

and just in case you dont know, the amp trinket off of the first boss of SoO in any form (LFR, Flex, Reg, H) is better than any other trinket even if its H WF. you're only half an ele sham until you have some variation of that trink.

Edited by kitsu
  • Like 1

Elementarist is a pretty good add-on to help him work out the priorities and remind him of the stuff to keep on, like Lightning Shield and Searing Totem.