FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Surutsu

Mangle over Shred

Hello, I am curious as to why mangle is now preferred over shred for normal combo point generation (as suggested by the new rotation for feral druids on this site). It does cost less energy I know, however you would no longer increase rips duration unless you were using shred during such occasions they listed. Of course mangle does less damage than shred right? 

So, maybe I missed something in the 5.4 notes... why is mangle > shred now?

I believe its a matter of personal choice - I also do a lot of questing alone so getting behind a target to use Shred effectively is sometimes not possible.  I use two priorities - if its a frontal mob assault I use mangle - if I can get behind a target I use shred.  I don't think mangle has taken over shred - I think its more of a case of what is required at the time.  I have also found that Druid priority or rotation is about situational awareness - not about whether or not to use one over the other.

I believe its a matter of personal choice - I also do a lot of questing alone so getting behind a target to use Shred effectively is sometimes not possible.  I use two priorities - if its a frontal mob assault I use mangle - if I can get behind a target I use shred.  I don't think mangle has taken over shred - I think its more of a case of what is required at the time.  I have also found that Druid priority or rotation is about situational awareness - not about whether or not to use one over the other.

Yes that is the case for solo and mobs you can't get behind, however the new rotation for ferals is stated as mangle, unless you are under the effect of OoC, berserk, or risk capping energy, you should shred, regardless of positioning, it seems that mangle has taken a higher priority.

Edited by Surutsu

I haven't actually simmed it, but I don't think it will make a huge difference. Not as significant as applying your bleeds when they can hit the hardest anyway. They're essentially the same attack, but Shred has a bonus against bleeding targets and prolongs Rip by 2 seconds each time (up to 3 times per Rip), offset by a higher Energy cost which slows down CP production.

Well I wish I knew why it was changed :)

Testing on a dummy (3mins), I sustained 131k using shred only. 120k using only mangle. I didn't shred during berserk, while I probably should have for purposes of following their rotation. Either way, I'm just not seeing the reasoning... I feel as though I play feral well, so I would hope my testing is a bit accurate. However there is a lot of things that can change dps, so more testing is probably needed.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/earthen-ring/Miku/advanced - Armory if that's at all relevant. 

Mangle>Shred is a dps increase, albeit not much of one in terms of raw numbers.

Both Mangle/Shred increase the Rip duration by 2 seconds (maximum of 3 times or 6 seconds).

Mangle costs less energy at the sacrifice of less damage and no positional requirement.  That 7 energy over the course of a fight adds up to give Mangle a better damage per energy (DPE) then Shred.  Those extra combo points are used for re-applying bleeds when you have RPPM procs (RoR/Renataki).

My understanding is that,Mangle does less dmg but generates CP faster therefore is recommended as a CP builder. You should still however use Shred in high energy situations (Berserk, Bloodlust etc.).

Mangle>Shred is a dps increase, albeit not much of one in terms of raw numbers.

Both Mangle/Shred increase the Rip duration by 2 seconds (maximum of 3 times or 6 seconds).

Mangle costs less energy at the sacrifice of less damage and no positional requirement.  That 7 energy over the course of a fight adds up to give Mangle a better damage per energy (DPE) then Shred.  Those extra combo points are used for re-applying bleeds when you have RPPM procs (RoR/Renataki).

The way I see it logically in my mind is, 35 vs 40 energy, so... 5 energy =20% more damage. Which means every 7 shred's you gain 140% more damage, but if you used mangle you would be getting 1 more mangle for the energy you saved, granting 500% damage + base amount. Don't hold me to this though.