FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
JackieSullivan

539 Affliction Lock Help

Help

Im an affliction lock on Area 52 Semi-Hardcore Raid Guild. Im having trouble keeping my numbers up in affliction (they are Horrible). I love affliction just cant seem to figure out how to push 200k dps with my gear it should be a reasonable number ive posted and armory link and current Log any tips hints or tricks will be much appriceated.

Thanks

Armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/area-52/Buer/simple

World of logs

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-vjrllaoam09l3ulp/sum/damageDone/?s=4879&e=5166

Please try not to laugh to hard, I run Elvui no other dot trackers though used them did worse with them.

Edited by JackieSullivan

Looking at your logs it looks like you are using MG too much, 50% uptime (WUT). It would be more useful to spend this time hard casting your DoTs rather than using SB:SS to reapply them and going right back to MG'ing, as I'm assuming that's what you are doing. This is based off of:

Shadow Trance  23  103.0  35.8% - meaning you had a total of 27 shards (4 from beginning + 23 proc's)

Haunt  1508598  4.9%  10 - meaning you only casted Haunt 10 times out of a possible 27, maybe 26 if you are SB:SW at the beginning with major procs rolling.

A tip for hardcasting DoTs: Since you're rolling with Wush and Breath you should hard cast UA at 7 stacks, Corruption at 8 stacks, and Agony at 10. If you can squeeze the GCD to get UA up at 8 stacks then good luck, I normally don't have as good of luck. If you are using SB:SW to apply DoTs only do so when Breath and Wush are up are the same time (could be different durrations) to maximize your DoT cooefficient, Affdots helps a lot with this.

It would best benefit you to get Haunt uptime closer to 40% with you gear. Something tells me that if you start hardcasting your DoTs instead of MG and apply Haunt when you have proc's rolling on your DoTs your DPS is gonna go way up.

Also, you only DS for 5 seconds. I'm guessing Maloriak lived longer than 5 seconds from 20%. It's good to get that up also because it'll supply you with more shards which means more Haunts which means more pew pew lazers numbers.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Phil nailed it.  Quit using Soulburn to apply your DoTs.  Haunt is wayyyy better for your shards.  Haunt should be in the 60-70% uptime range for single target encounters.  In multi-target encounters, it's better to multi-DoT extra targets, but Haunt should still be used liberally. 

Use Haunt, manually apply DoTs, see higher DPS.

Stop using KJC. Learn to FF as you run instead of needing KJC, there are *some* fights where KJC is useful, Malkorok is soooo not one of them. You could have used four DS rather than the two you used there, way better to use the DS.

Your opening burst is crazy low, you topped out at like 310k. I find that...very odd. Walk me though what you open with, this could be nothing but bad RNG but I'd like take a look either way.

Firstly to you guys giving the replies, thank you so much for taking time to help us, it is very valuable.

Secondly, if I am hi-jacking Jackie's post, I apologise but I have exactly the same issues and I think it will help him too.

I have played WOW as a Lock for many years and this latest patch has been the most challenging change. My character is "Runtius" on Twilight's Hammer. I'll 532 and Affliction as main spec.

I follow the Icy Veins rotation on multiple targets SS dots to as many targets as possible and casting Haunt and MG on my main target in between. I use WeakAuras to ensure the best Dot uptime on my main target and SS to other targets in between, mainly when trinkets proc.

On the practice dummies, with flask, Lock Buff and food, I manage to get my DPS to 130K. I am not sure how good or bad that is for my gear. However that is not my problem.

The dummies stand still and behave themselves :) whilst the mobs in Raid are chaotic. I struggle to select the correct Mob to SS to, in the 2 second window period one has to inhale and exhale the dots. With the Fallen Protectors I have made macros but inevitably the mobs are behind me or out of range and I still lose the dot swap window. With the Galakras mobs, they are so on top of each other and running between each other that it is impossible to select the correct one and also to know which one you have already swapped dots to.

What is the solution other than making a macro for each and every possible mob?

My sequence is:

Pre pot

COE

DS:M

Haunt

SB:SS to apply dots

SS dots to as many mobs as possible

Return to focus and manually re apply dots

Haunt and MG on every Haunt cool down.

SB:SS dots to focus every trinket proc and SS to all targets thereafter.

As a priority I keep 10 stacks of Agony, keep Haunt alive at all times, keep corruption and UA alive.

Last night on the Galakras mobs I managed a pathetic 63K average DPS and I almost deleted my toon. (flexi-raid). Ther was another Lock with much worse gear than mine doing 120K. It is embarrassing to say the least, not to mention a Mage doing 200K.

WOL show that the top 8 classes on Fallen Protectors are Affliction Locks so I am doing something seriously wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

If you're spreading your DoTs when they're not empowered, there lies your problem.  You don't apply DoTs then instantly spread them...you want a trinket proc to happen.  You also don't want to spread 1 stack of Agony.  You want to MG those DoTs until they are supercharged...10 stack of Agony and whatever trinkets you got going live.  After you get those charged, THEN spread via Soul Swap.

Secondly, if I am hi-jacking Jackie's post, I apologise but I have exactly the same issues and I think it will help him too.

Don't be scared to make your own post, gives us something to do!

From what you say it sounds like you need TidyPlates they will help you a lot in targeting quickly to make use of your SS. Past that do what Zag said and if you can send us some logs and we can find/fix a lot better.

Stop using KJC. Learn to FF as you run instead of needing KJC, there are *some* fights where KJC is useful, Malkorok is soooo not one of them. You could have used four DS rather than the two you used there, way better to use the DS.

Your opening burst is crazy low, you topped out at like 310k. I find that...very odd. Walk me though what you open with, this could be nothing but bad RNG but I'd like take a look either way.

Ok opening rotation is as follows

Pre-pot at 2 secs

Haunt pre cast so it hits as hard casts hit

Agony

Corruption

Unstable Affliction

Malefic Grasp until trinkets meta enchants proc

Berserking Dark Soul

Soul Burn; Soul swap 

pop infernal if lust is with pull.

I thought that they took the extender to dot time out of fel flame in 5.4.

Wow thank you guys a lot ive down loaded affdots just waiting on servers to come back up then im going to put all your advice to use ill link some new logs after raid Wednesday so you guys can see the improvement. On another note is the mastery stacking the proper way for me to be going currently went for 9778 haste Bp then all mastery. And the reason I don't throw CoE is the other lock in raid does it.

Thanks again for all your help

pop infernal if lust is with pull.

Um, wut?  Don't you dare use that piece of shit. 

Your Doomguard feels like you just called him by your other girlfriend's name.  He is not pleased.  He demands sacrifice.

Dummy DPS doesn't matter.  Test your DPS in a raid situation.  It's impossible to measure the effects of your DPS without raid buffs which is considered the baseline setup for your DPS.

On certain fights take advantage of haunts raw DMG. If you have a steady flow of shards via drain soul (think norushen) from adds. You can damn near machine gun them at the boss. It pulls ahead of mg in these cases. Just don't forget to keep empowered dots running :)

Um, wut?  Don't you dare use that piece of shit. 

I USED MY INFERNAL ON HEROIC DARK SHAMAN...and I liked it. 

Ok opening rotation is as follows

Pre-pot at 2 secs

Haunt pre cast so it hits as hard casts hit

Agony

Corruption

Unstable Affliction

Malefic Grasp until trinkets meta enchants proc

Berserking Dark Soul

Soul Burn; Soul swap 

pop Doomguard* if lust is with pull.

Pre-pot, yes.

Pre-haunt, no. Pre-haunting is uber silly. I'm not sure what site/warlock outthere is telling people to do this goofyass thing but it's one of the sillyest things I've ever heard of. Total waist of a shard imo.

The rest of it seems fine, drop the pre-haunt and use the shard for a real haunt soon as you get your pimpn dots rolling.

I thought that they took the extender to dot time out of fel flame in 5.4.

They did, and that's why you would use it on the move now. Before when it extended your DoT timer it was only useful for PvP, PvE we snap shot to much to have made use of this. Now that it just does flat damage it's useful to PvE-ers because we can snap shot away and then move and pew pew something also. It's not as strong as MG/DS, but it's better than a kick in the teeth. If used well, the free Dark Souls you get from AD out weight the loss MG by a fair bit.

• Like 1

Dummy DPS doesn't matter.  Test your DPS in a raid situation.  It's impossible to measure the effects of your DPS without raid buffs which is considered the baseline setup for your DPS.

Thanks guys, Tidy Plates is a great help for SS!  I fully understand the "Empowered Dot" situation now and I was definitly not optomising my dots.

Don't forget you can Soul Swap your Seed of Corruption for extra AoE.

:O

More damage for Garrosh opener now, lol.

Don't forget you can Soul Swap your Seed of Corruption for extra AoE.

WTF is this sorcery?  Why wouldn't you just multi-spam seed?  Or...wait, holy shit, are you putting up Seed right after DoTs and immediately using SS before seed explodes?  Didn't realize that could be done....

Now that I think about it, how are you getting your seed to not explode?  They lowered damage requirement to proc seed so it like instantly explodes for me...

Also, for AoE, wouldn't you just put seeds everywhere after your DoTs are out? 

WTF is this sorcery?  Why wouldn't you just multi-spam seed?  Or...wait, holy shit, are you putting up Seed right after DoTs and immediately using SS before seed explodes?  Didn't realize that could be done....

Now that I think about it, how are you getting your seed to not explode?  They lowered damage requirement to proc seed so it like instantly explodes for me...

STOP RUINING THE RAINBOW MAGIC OF THIS SHIT I WANTS TO TRY IT OUTS!

Pre-pot, yes.

Pre-haunt, no. Pre-haunting is uber silly. I'm not sure what site/warlock outthere is telling people to do this goofyass thing but it's one of the sillyest things I've ever heard of. Total waist of a shard imo.

The rest of it seems fine, drop the pre-haunt and use the shard for a real haunt soon as you get your pimpn dots rolling.

That would be Evrelia. Not sure if he's still doing it in 5.4 tho...think it was more so in latter tiers when mg was more a focus and people were stacking haste haste haste.

@Zagam: SB:SoC > SoC > SB:SS > immediately SS before dots have time to tick...and just keep SSing :)

Note: I don't always SB:SoC first tho...cause the corruption ticks on mobs can sometimes cause your ss'd seed to blow between your exhale and inhale..beat our else shammy on aoe a couple times doing this...of course he prolly wasn't trying and was laughing at me bust my ass just to keep pace lol.

Edited by Ilyenna

Oh, it can be done, lol. Takes practice because of the threshold you mentioned (something I'm still working on). You've gotta SS just after SoC hits the target (Hellscream: Don't immediately SS after finishing the cast, it has travel time! Thok bats, you're right next to 'em, less travel time). Reapply on next target and immediately SS again. It's a way to get some extra AoE as you're spreading dots. When your empowered dots all out and ticking, then yes, spam SoC like normal. One short cast of SoC vs two globals SSing it to the next mob. If you've got a massive empowered version (Possibly one with Mannoroth's Fury???) may want to consider SSing the SoC.

If you mess up don't waste your empowered dots duration by reapplying SoC to try again (especially if you still have half the targets to dot up); keep spreading those empowered dots and just AoE like normal after they're rolling.

As Ilyenna mentioned, don't recommend using SB:SoC because it will ruin your snapshot on corruption, and you're spreading it anyway with SS, so no point, really.

Thanks guys, Tidy Plates is a great help for SS!  I fully understand the "Empowered Dot" situation now and I was definitly not optomising my dots.

Well after all the advice I got today I have managed to get my opening sequence up to 230K from 130K on the target dummy.  Look forward to seeing what I can do in raid tomorrow.  I am a bit worried about affliction single target but I will have to see what it goes like!  thanks again for all the advice!